PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Smartphone News (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Visa and Bank of America to Test Paying via Cell Phones On-the-Go Next Month (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=131994)

popdog54 08-20-2010 04:51 PM

Visa and Bank of America to Test Paying via Cell Phones On-the-Go Next Month

You can pay form items just by waving your phone over a point of sale device...

http://www.switched.com/2010/08/20/v...es-on-the-g%2F

DavidinCT 08-21-2010 04:16 PM

Re: Visa and Bank of America to Test Paying via Cell Phones On-the-Go Next Month

I can see it now, digital theft at it's highest, all a theif needs to do is walk in a croud with a scanner of some type and grab tons of accounts numbers. Just like today, how many people actually look at the back of your credit card to see if it's signed ? It would only get worse...

I'm sure it will be more than what they are saying but, I guess it opens up another door for theft and if all you needed to do is get closer or bump, how hard would it be to steal it ?

jpwhre 08-22-2010 12:34 PM

Re: Visa and Bank of America to Test Paying via Cell Phones On-the-Go Next Month

wow, your standing in line getting your groceries and pay for everyone's around you. i can't wait to be in the line next to that user!

lazydazed 08-23-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidinCT (Post 1919547)
I can see it now, digital theft at it's highest, all a theif needs to do is walk in a croud with a scanner of some type and grab tons of accounts numbers.

they already can do that... you know that pay point scanners are in alot credit cards... the little chip looking thing on some of your credit cards..

theives will ALWAYS figure out a way to rob something they want...:cwm21:

MrObvious 08-24-2010 02:01 PM

I'm leary of this too. No thanks.

[sammich] 08-24-2010 09:16 PM

Lol. I have this on my debit card. It's like pay-pass or b-link. Just tap your card against the receiver and it automatically goes through... Its not going to have any sort of range... 1-2cm at most. And implementing this into phones isn't going to cause a huge security risk besides the obvious losing your phone.

MrObvious 08-24-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [sammich] (Post 1922741)
Lol. I have this on my debit card. It's like pay-pass or b-link. Just tap your card against the receiver and it automatically goes through... Its not going to have any sort of range... 1-2cm at most. And implementing this into phones isn't going to cause a huge security risk besides the obvious losing your phone.

I disagree. What if someone figures out how to spoof it? What if they figure out a hack for the phone? Yeah I don't like it.

[sammich] 08-24-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrObvious (Post 1922813)
I disagree. What if someone figures out how to spoof it? What if they figure out a hack for the phone? Yeah I don't like it.

I'd imagine it'd be pretty hard to spoof. Passports have RFID chips as well, and I'd be more worried about someone scanning my passport wirelessly.

Personally I like the idea, but I'm sure you can just pass on it if you don't want to enable it on your device. Its just one of those things where you trade convenience for risk.

MrObvious 08-25-2010 01:27 PM

I still don't like it. To me it's just another vector of attack to our money.