PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 03:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch Vogue
Carrier: sprint

ahbroody is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engadget disables commenting on articles

As this is related to the PPC news world as engadget writes PPC articles I figured it could go here. If wrong forum please move to approriate.

Anyone who checks out engadget knows that they love the iphone, and most things apple. Well recently the commentors have been making a lot of comments about just how much coverage engadget gives to all things mac. While its true they do I was actually suprised to see a semi non positive article on the Ipad last week.

Last week Joshua posted this article. My favorite line from it being.
"Are you so bothered by stories about the Cupertino-based company that you feel the need to comment on each and every story about how bothered by stories about the Cupertino-based company you are?" Nope definetly not slanted in the least.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/30/d...te-apple-news/

This week they have turned commenting off.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/02/w...off-for-a-bit/
What I find funny is that he doesnt mention the main reason is backlash over a large number of mac threads. He says its negative comments but doesnt say its negative comments on all the mac articles.

So anyway incase you go to engadget and wonder why you cant post comments, now you know.

I find this news related as I have actually learned a lot about aspects of winmo and cdma network issues from commentors in the articles. I read the comments then search what they said for more info.

They have turned the site into a different animal doing this. They have also said they will be banning people. I wonder if people who flame them for writting 30+ articles on the ipad will be banned. I will be spending more time on other sites reading now.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

gcianc is becoming a great contributor
Re: Engadget disables commenting on articles

they should keep comments off and forgo the banner ad hits (of which most commentators are running adblockers anyways not generating "revenue"). Engadet (like it's daddy AOL dot) is pathetic to begin with but the comments are nothing but spam and misinformation.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

reading the flame-wars was my favorite! that will be missed! do i smell boycott...?
Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

qwho is keeping up the good workqwho is keeping up the good work

So, NOW they post stuff about the joojoo tablet and how it supports full flash in its browser.... and we can't discuss it there.

I am done with engadget, I'll just have to read gizmodo.com exclusively from now on. They have sci-fi and sports sections anyway.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:06 AM
The Inspector Mod
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

gadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the community

Gizmodo isn't any better. Really.

WM 6.5 Taskbars | GadgetROM for Touch Diamond

Donations are always strictly voluntary and completely appreciated. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2010, 02:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Hero

mbaseball3 is becoming a great contributor

ppcgeeks needs to have its own review crew. why not? a lot of the best phones either already have or soon after its release get its own section here to be discussed, modded, flamed, etc.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Hero is flying
Old 02-16-2010, 03:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung epic + Samsung galaxy Tab

ajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuff

hmm I just posted a comment on their guess they changed their mind
Old 02-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4
Carrier: AT&T

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Pretty funny, I never read the comments myself though so I would have never noticed.

EDIT- just went to the site and you CAN leave comments, they switched the default to not show comments but you can turn them on. You have to register to comment though, that may be new.

Last edited by Certs; 02-16-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC touch
Carrier: att

CaniBel is a n00b

heh. I kind of like engadget/gizmodo. very bread and butter, though. I'm sure they are highly advertiser influenced.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:48 AM
The Inspector Mod
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

gadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniBel View Post
heh. I kind of like engadget/gizmodo. very bread and butter, though. I'm sure they are highly advertiser influenced.
IMO,they are less advertiser influenced than they suffer from acute cases of iCult syndrome...

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News