PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 01:27 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Microsoft's Plan to Save Windows Mobile

Well if they finally start using the Windows Update feature, I hope there are no forced automatic updates.

It would totally suck if, for example, Sprint had Microsoft kill our tethering in a forced, automatic, silent update.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:30 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
wm7 is not likely to make many people want to switch from android or iphone. Had they came out with it last year maybe but they've already fallen too far behind in that aspect.
Man there is just no way you can say that at this point in the game. For all we know Windows Mobile 7 will be the best OS on the market, have tons of commercials, and all the devices will be free on cheap plans.

Not that any or all of that will happen, just saying it's way too early for you to be saying nobody will leave the iPhone or Android. We won't know that until we get some details on what WM7 is, and the devices that will be running it.

Microsoft has a long history of winning battles like these though, so it would be pretty foolish to count them out. As dominant as the iPhone is in the smartphone industry- Sony was even more dominant in the game console industry and Microsoft make easy work of them...

Last edited by BlackDynamite; 01-19-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:56 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Actually its pretty easy to say it... wm sat around with that same ol os for too long and they arent going to transition a large number of people with a new os. It's just like people have formed the opinion that sprint's customer service is straight terrible from years ago.. even thought they've made strides and improved it vastly the people that left dont care and arent going to come back because of the image they LAST had of it.

Sure they may grab a few new people but trust... a large number of people that I know that have left hate winmo compared to current more up to date handsets and I doubt if they'd ever switch back. A lot of people here have biased opinions on the matter mainly because its a winmo forum.. but visit some neutral sites and look at opinions on winmo and you will see exactly what I mean.

I've been die hard winmo from the mogul but seeing the strides others are making while we sit and get these meager 6.5 and 6.5.x updates has already made up my mind that this is my last winmo phone. Slow, outdated...thats the main reason the majority of us are here to begin with to be able to "tweak" the phone to a state where we actually like it. I'm kind of tired of having to do that honestly just to be satisfied with it. Especially when i've picked up a droid straight out of the box and realized how fast it was compared to my phone.. which many would argue is the best winmo has to offer aside from the hd2 right now.

As far as the sony/microsoft gaming thing... its actually going to be the exact opposite of that. Sony DOMINATED with their PS2 compared to the xbox. The only reason they didnt do as well with the PS3 compared to the 360 is for one, the 360 came out LONG before the PS3 did. Two, the price of the PS3 was WAY more than that of the xbox360. And that was mainly because Sony factored a blue ray player into the ps3.. not much of a comparison to the current state of winmo vs iphone or android. No matter what winmo does, they wont put a dent in iphone users PERIOD. Most of those people are dedicated to anything apple makes and the fact that they were able to destroy the market like that while being limited to ONE carrier? What do you think is going to happen when the Iphone 4G drops and both AT&T AND Verizon have it?

And on top of that the majority of iphone users love the phone because of the apps. And lets just be realistic, as far as apps go the iphone is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of winmo. Some folks like to use the "winmo phones were made for business" excuse but at the same time, the iphone has apps where you can actually take the bar exam.. on a phone. They have apps where you can use the phone as a credit card scanner for small businesses. Honestly im just tired of the winmo excuses and the excuses people make for why its fallen so far behind even though they had damn near a 4 year headstart on everyone else... which is why this will be my last winmo phone. Even though I can flash I just feel so limited on what I can do.

Last edited by brownhornet; 01-19-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:10 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Actually its pretty easy to say it... wm sat around with that same ol os for too long and they arent going to transition a large number of people with a new os. It's just like people have formed the opinion that sprint's customer service is straight terrible from years ago.. even thought they've made strides and improved it vastly the people that left dont care and arent going to come back because of the image they LAST had of it.

Sure they may grab a few new people but trust... a large number of people that I know that have left hate winmo compared to current more up to date handsets and I doubt if they'd ever switch back. A lot of people here have biased opinions on the matter mainly because its a winmo forum.. but visit some neutral sites and look at opinions on winmo and you will see exactly what I mean.

I've been die hard winmo from the mogul but seeing the strides others are making while we sit and get these meager 6.5 and 6.5.x updates has already made up my mind that this is my last winmo phone. Slow, outdated...thats the main reason the majority of us are here to begin with to be able to "tweak" the phone to a state where we actually like it. I'm kind of tired of having to do that honestly just to be satisfied with it. Especially when i've picked up a droid straight out of the box and realized how fast it was compared to my phone.. which many would argue is the best winmo has to offer aside from the hd2 right now.

As far as the sony/microsoft gaming thing... its actually going to be the exact opposite of that. Sony DOMINATED with their PS2 compared to the xbox. The only reason they didnt do as well with the PS3 compared to the 360 is for one, the 360 came out LONG before the PS3 did. Two, the price of the PS3 was WAY more than that of the xbox360. And that was mainly because Sony factored a blue ray player into the ps3.. not much of a comparison to the current state of winmo vs iphone or android. No matter what winmo does, they wont put a dent in iphone users PERIOD. Most of those people are dedicated to anything apple makes and the fact that they were able to destroy the market like that while being limited to ONE carrier? What do you think is going to happen when the Iphone 4G drops and both AT&T AND Verizon have it?

And on top of that the majority of iphone users love the phone because of the apps. And lets just be realistic, as far as apps go the iphone is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of winmo. Some folks like to use the "winmo phones were made for business" excuse but at the same time, the iphone has apps where you can actually take the bar exam.. on a phone. They have apps where you can use the phone as a credit card scanner for small businesses. Honestly im just tired of the winmo excuses and the excuses people make for why its fallen so far behind even though they had damn near a 4 year headstart on everyone else... which is why this will be my last winmo phone. Even though I can flash I just feel so limited on what I can do.
1: Uh, Sprint's customer service DOES suck, lol. See the recent "get out of contract free" threads from Sprint raising the regulatory fees. Sprint's PR flat out said it was a breach of contract and customers could leave with no ETF. Yet it was like a month later and people were still getting 10 different answers from 10 different reps. And this is still going on right now. there is no excuse for it.

2: People will have no problem using WM7 if MS does it right. Like I said, if there are 10 commercials for it every time you turn on the tv (the same thing the iPhone did to get its user base) and carriers are giving it away for free- with cheap monthly plans, then there will be plenty of people flocking to get it.

3: How fast it is has a lot to do with the hardware. The HD2 has decent hardware, and it's pretty fast.

4: You are trying to use a double standard with the Xbox. The PS2 dominated the first Xbox because it was released first. The same reason the 360 dominated the PS3 (that and the price). And the point is, Microsoft made easy work of Sony in the game console market. And, again, Sony was FAR more dominant in that market than anyone is int he smartphone market right now.

Look, you might have turned yourself into a WinMo hater, and that's fine. But don't think for a second that MS can't win anyone else over if they do things the right way.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:26 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

You can BELIEVE what you want... but the numbers dont lie... and I doubt if that will change by the time wm7 comes out.. WHENEVER that may be.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
You can BELIEVE what you want... but the numbers dont lie... and I doubt if that will change by the time wm7 comes out.. WHENEVER that may be.
You mean the numbers that show more Windows Mobile licenses in use today than ever before?

Don't get market share confused with total number of users.

We don't know what to expect with WM7. But if recent history tells us anything, then it would be foolish to count Microsoft out. I don't think they have ever lost a battle- with plenty of wins under their belt.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News