PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Smartphone News (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Sprint will now charge you $4.99 a month if you don't have automatic credit card pay (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=105600)

JQuill 01-10-2010 12:11 PM

Sprint will now charge you $4.99 a month if you don't have automatic credit card pay

No this is not a joke. If you have in the "spending limit program" ... aka 90% of Sprints customers...basically this means if you HAVE any sort of spending limit no matter how much it is or if you've ever gone over it, Sprint will now charge you $4.99 a month on your bill.

The way to get around it, is to set up automatic credit card payments. If you do that then they'll wave the $4.99 fee.

If you're on a plan that doesn't have a spending limit then you won't get charged.

Sprint is reeeeeally hurting right now, and their lame ass CES speach, and this new fee for anybody with a spending limit proves it. Oh and I wouldn't get too excited about any WiMAX phones coming out any time before 2011, if Sprint lasts that long.

Oh....oh what does that Phone say at the top...oh, oh, T-Mobile. And that's the U.S. version of the HD2 right? Oh hi T-Mobile here's my number. And I'll have the roaming option so I can use AT&T's network and I have the greatest phone on the market and can utilize any U.S. network. My Diamond will do for now with all the bells and whistle's of an HD2 but Sprint is really pissing in the wind at this point if they think they can stop people from leaving.

http://media.boygeniusreport.com/wp-...010/01/M10.jpg

BlkCat 01-10-2010 12:15 PM

Re: Sprint will now charge you $4.99 a month if you don't have automatic credit card

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "spending limit". Could you explain?

JQuill 01-10-2010 12:20 PM

Re: Sprint will now charge you $4.99 a month if you don't have automatic credit card

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlkCat (Post 1476167)
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "spending limit". Could you explain?

Most people will have a $150 or above Spening Limit on their account. Meaning that if you owe sprint over that amount of money your phone will be shut off. If your bill is only $70 a month, you could for example not have to pay them for month one or month two, but then when month 3's bill comes in you'll owe them OVER $150 and your phone will be shut off until you pay.

w7excursion 01-10-2010 12:25 PM

Already posted in the carrier discussion http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=105284

ahbroody 01-10-2010 12:26 PM

I swear every thread in this forum is tears.
Guess I am not one of MOST PEOPLE.

OOOOhh your right Sprint doesnt have the HD2 and neither does VZW. Why? Cause HTC said GSM only. Kind of lame to QQ about a phone that neither CDMA carrier is getting. "and I have the greatest phone on the market and can utilize any U.S. network." WHAT? I think you mean you can use it on ATT or Tmobile. That said you wont be using 3g on ATT as I thought the bands were different. So you will get edge when on ATT. Also you arent using it on VZW or Sprints network.

I just love how people will give of coverage the main important factor behind so many of the phones features for a cool phone. If we were in Asia where GSM is king and coverage is great yeah. Here we know who has the best coverage and it aint GSM.

JQuill 01-10-2010 12:35 PM

Sry for the double post...didn't realize it was in carrier discussion. The thing that SUCKS for me is that my account HAS to have a spending limit on it, it has nothing to do with my credit. It's because I have an OLD free and clear plan that I refuse to get rid of.

3000 minutes a month
unlimited nights and weekends @ 7
unlimited sms/mms
unlimited data
unlimited free roaming

for $50 a month

BUT, I only have a ****ing $75 spending limit which they WILL NOT get rid of even though I've paid my bill on time for 4 years. They're probably trying to get rid of people like me, and I'm glad to switch to t-mobile at this point I don't care how much my bill will be.

w7excursion 01-10-2010 12:51 PM

Never heard of your plan causing a spending limit not to be removed. I would call executive services and get it removed 1-866-727-0665.

austin420 01-10-2010 01:04 PM

did you ask them to remove the spending limit? people in the other thread about this just called and asked to have it removed and that made it happen.

Gesani 01-10-2010 01:08 PM

Dont for get the regulatory charge will also increase from $.20 to $.40 per line, and the cancelation of the referral program.

Accrording to a local sprint rep any account that has had responsible payments made will be subject to review and then possibly "graduated" to an account with no spending limit. The rep also stated that he didnt have the number but as a person that sets up sprint account i have yet to see one without a spending limit.

But Be glad that the sprint fee is only $4.99 per account unlike T-Mobile's $4.99 Control Charge that is assessed per line to thier flexpay customers.

JQuill 01-10-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahbroody (Post 1476190)
I swear every thread in this forum is tears.
Guess I am not one of MOST PEOPLE.

OOOOhh your right Sprint doesnt have the HD2 and neither does VZW. Why? Cause HTC said GSM only. Kind of lame to QQ about a phone that neither CDMA carrier is getting.

That's actually my whole point so thank you

Quote:

"and I have the greatest phone on the market and can utilize any U.S. network." WHAT? I think you mean you can use it on ATT or Tmobile. That said you wont be using 3g on ATT as I thought the bands were different. So you will get edge when on ATT. Also you arent using it on VZW or Sprints network.

It's the Nexus that can't use at&t's 3g network, not the HD2

Quote:

I just love how people will give of coverage the main important factor behind so many of the phones features for a cool phone. If we were in Asia where GSM is king and coverage is great yeah. Here we know who has the best coverage and it aint GSM.

Yeah but having Sprint is like having a ferrari engine and putting it in a Pontiac Fiero body...great network, but the best new phone they have is the Samsung Moment which they barely advertise or market and is only a hare better than the Diamond.

wjrandon 01-10-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JQuill (Post 1476156)
...with all the bells and whistle's of an HD2 but Sprint is really pissing in the wind at this point if they think they can stop people from leaving.

Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out. If you're paid attention to the product cycles of the last three years HTC nor Sprint have announced new products at CES. HTC has a record of announcing new WM devices at Mobile World Congress (next month) while carriers typically announce via press release their intent on carrying those products in the 3rd Quarter. This has been the lifecycle of WM in the United States for years. So quit complaining and wait for Mobile World Congress. HTC most likely has QWERTY HD2/3 to announce using a dual core Snapdragon processor that'll end up running Windows Mobile 7.

JQuill 01-10-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjrandon (Post 1476329)
Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out. If you're paid attention to the product cycles of the last three years HTC nor Sprint have announced new products at CES. HTC has a record of announcing new WM devices at Mobile World Congress (next month) while carriers typically announce via press release their intent on carrying those products in the 3rd Quarter. This has been the lifecycle of WM in the United States for years. So quit complaining and wait for Mobile World Congress. HTC most likely has QWERTY HD2/3 to announce using a dual core Snapdragon processor that'll end up running Windows Mobile 7.

I'll complain all I want thank you sir. You don't have to listen lol. If you think HTC MOST LIKELY has a touch HD3 in store with a dual core snapdragon then I can't help you. You're on a touch pro...thank god you didn't waste your money on a tp2...I'm not sure what the Touch Pro roms look like these days but OMJ's Diamond rom literally brings all the functionality of an HD2 to the Diamond. Given that you guys have a qwerty keyboard and Sense 2.5 doesn't work well at all with Qwerty phones I'd say you've got it all except now you can't use your qwerty if you have a 2.5 rom. There's no reason for anybody to get any other phone unless you REALLY want android then I'd grab the Samsung Moment. But there has been no incentive for any smartphone user on Sprint to upgrade since the Diamond / Touch Pro came out years ago. I just feel bad for people with touch pro 2's lol. It's a nice phone, but waaay overpriced and rom development is still pretty shitty, stock rom is still the best one out there for a TP2 which in my opinion means it's a waste of money because I have more functionality in my Diamond than anybody does on a tp2 minus the qwerty.

ubigred 01-10-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjrandon (Post 1476329)

How do you know? I will buy that phone full price. I can only imagine how it looks!

spiritcrusher33 01-10-2010 02:42 PM

Hey i do not care about paying 4.99 extra..to sprint for having a spending limit.. cause where else would i go? att ( heck no,, coverage sucks ) verizon ( heck no,, to expensive ) t-mobile ( lol , just left them no coverage )

I could go metro pcs,, but im happy with sprint.. and paying 4.99 extra.. is still way cheaper than the other guys.. not to mention i have 25% discount anyway..

now if your a sero user. etc. i can understand why u would be mad. your 30 dollar plan just went up by 5 bucks before tax.. but unless u buy old phones of ebay.. i say by the end of next year. all new phones will require a simply everything plan anyway.. so by by sero....

wjrandon 01-10-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ubigred (Post 1476419)
How do you know? I will buy that phone full price. I can only imagine how it looks!

I'm only speculating but we already know Microsoft is going to be unveiling Windows Mobile 7 at MWC next month and given HTC and Microsoft's partnership along with HTC's own track record of making product announcements at MWC why would they announce any new devices that wouldn't take advantage of WM7.

WM7 surly will be a major highlight of this years conference. Expect announcements from all major WM players including LG, Samsung, and HTC. To answer your question about how I know, it's because history repeats itself and I've been following this industry closely for a while now.

newone757 01-10-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

No this is not a joke. If you have in the "spending limit program" ... aka 90% of Sprints customers...basically this means if you HAVE any sort of spending limit no matter how much it is or if you've ever gone over it, Sprint will now charge you $4.99 a month on your bill.

Dont spread lies.

90%?? LMFAO i signed up for sprint when i was 18 fresh outta highschool no credit at all and minimum wage job and didn't get a spending limit.

It is BS but dont go around acting like they are screwing every single customer when its really the (in their eyes) unreliable ones (STill f^cked up to the tenth degree though)

Just call the credit dept and have them remove your spending limit if you really arent a problem

newone757 01-10-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JQuill (Post 1476369)
I just feel bad for people with touch pro 2's lol. It's a nice phone, but waaay overpriced and rom development is still pretty shitty, stock rom is still the best one out there for a TP2 which in my opinion means it's a waste of money because I have more functionality in my Diamond than anybody does on a tp2 minus the qwerty.

Youre just talkin out your a$$ now lol

what exactly can you do on your diamond that i cant do on a touch pro 2?? and more comfortably on a bigger and better screen too

hold up. you dont even have a sim card slot on your diamond. You dont even have a 3.5 headphone jack built in. Go home

ahbroody 01-10-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JQuill (Post 1476278)
It's the Nexus that can't use at&t's 3g network, not the HD2.

Really can you show me the specs that you are using for this that show it will sustain 3g on both att and tmobile? the freqs are different which is what 3g on one carrier equals edge on the other. Atleast thats what I believe from reading. Thats why the iphone cant do 3g on tmo. The sidekick dont work on att and so on. Do you have any official specs to back up your statement? I hope you are not using the unlocked phone as it appears that one wont be working on either networks 3g service. So I eagerly await your link which shows it will run 3g on both networks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JQuill (Post 1476278)
Yeah but having Sprint is like having a ferrari engine and putting it in a Pontiac Fiero body...great network, but the best new phone they have is the Samsung Moment which they barely advertise or market and is only a hare better than the Diamond.

As for your analogy you will have a ferrari body with a fiero engine. Or shall we say the one pump chump. Looks good like its a true performer, but when called on to use that network it just might and sometimes does fail.

fixxxer2012 01-10-2010 06:31 PM

yeah im not too happy with sprint right now. we all know they are a sinking ship and probably won't be around much longer. the fact is my wife and i have a $300 spending limit because of our two lines and not great credit. we don't want to set up auto pay because from time to time were a few days late on payments. most people are in the same boat in today's economy i imagine. we are just gonna have to suck up the new fees because i looked into verizon and t-mobile and the prices and packages they charge are far more expensive than sprint. disgust:violent1:

the7thson 01-11-2010 02:50 AM

Quote:

Oh hi T-Mobile here's my number. And I'll have the roaming option so I can use AT&T's network and I have the greatest phone on the market and can utilize any U.S. network.

What do you mean "the roaming option"? Is this some extra add-on? I'm getting an HD2 also the day it drops, hi T-Mobile :)

ProGeek 01-12-2010 01:47 PM

This is why it's so nice to be a long time sprint customer:

*No Spending Limit
*Company Discount=21%
*Grandfathered Plan:
Unlimited Data for Free: Includes EVDO Casual which is Power Vision
speeds ten time faster than vision in EVDO coverage, Picture Mail,
and SMS Text Messaging
7:00pm Start Unlimited Nights and Weekends
900 Minutes Included, Extra 60 Minutes Included after depleted 900 Minutes
Nationwide Long Distance Included
Three-way Calling, Voicemail, Caller ID and Call Waiting
$34.99 Minimum Monthly Charge

Journeyjeans 01-12-2010 02:27 PM

I threatend to cancel my second SERO line over this and the reg fee, and they gave me verified 10 bucks a month recurring credit without extending my contract......Im signing up for autopay later today, LOL

sorge 01-12-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 1476960)
yeah im not too happy with sprint right now. we all know they are a sinking ship and probably won't be around much longer. the fact is my wife and i have a $300 spending limit because of our two lines and not great credit. we don't want to set up auto pay because from time to time were a few days late on payments. most people are in the same boat in today's economy i imagine. we are just gonna have to suck up the new fees because i looked into verizon and t-mobile and the prices and packages they charge are far more expensive than sprint. disgust:violent1:

If you are mad at Sprint, go have verizon or ATT run your credit, you'll get a nice surprise(200-500 dollar deposits per line). Sprint have the spending limit program so they can afford to give people with bad credit low deposits. If you have zero credit with Sprint right now you normally have just a 50 dollar deposit. Compare that to verizons 400.

duck9191 01-12-2010 11:04 PM

honestly 90% of the accounts i see that are 30-60+ days past due are ASL accounts. not all, but a lot of people on the spending limit program are there for a reason. there are plenty of people that are ASL but pay there bills on time, awesome, after 12 months of no hotlines or late payments call the credit department and have them do an evaluation and get your deposit/ASL removed.

mrmet044 01-13-2010 02:03 AM

moral of the story: just pay your bill on time and you'll have no problems. case closed.

libradebrief 01-13-2010 02:45 PM

Look I work for Sprint. The account spending limit or "ASL" account is based of your credit. This let's us know wether you are a scrub and pay your bills on time. Try walking into a bank or car lot to get financing or a loan with a 560 credit score, just try and see how much more money you are paying out the wazoo BECAUSE of your credit score.

We use a system called KMS, the document called ASL Uprades states that to REMOVE the ASL the customer has to be with us for 18 months, a clean payment history for 12 and had their last credit check done 9 months ago. Guess which one all the complainer's do not meet, PAYING YOUR BILL ON TIME. Don't tell me it's because of the economy and yada yada, then here's what you do, drop the web and text (Unless you have to have a data plan bc you HAD to have a smart device). Or change bacl to your old phone that does not require a data plan so you can save money.

This is to the person that says we won't remove their ASL because they are on a old plan. WRONG WRONG WRONG, we won't remove you becuase you do not meet the above criteria.

It comes down to this there are certain things you have to earn in life, everyone thinks they have to HAVE A CELL PHONE, you do not. No carrier in America is a charity, you want service you pay. The excuse the economy's bad. Yeah well last time I check Sprint was apart of this economy as well. When we have ppl who cannot pay a $69.99 bill on time and they are late every month don't expect extra benefits.

OMJ 01-14-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by libradebrief (Post 1485107)
Look I work for Sprint. The account spending limit or "ASL" account is based of your credit. This let's us know wether you are a scrub and pay your bills on time. Try walking into a bank or car lot to get financing or a loan with a 560 credit score, just try and see how much more money you are paying out the wazoo BECAUSE of your credit score.

We use a system called KMS, the document called ASL Uprades states that to REMOVE the ASL the customer has to be with us for 18 months, a clean payment history for 12 and had their last credit check done 9 months ago. Guess which one all the complainer's do not meet, PAYING YOUR BILL ON TIME. Don't tell me it's because of the economy and yada yada, then here's what you do, drop the web and text (Unless you have to have a data plan bc you HAD to have a smart device). Or change bacl to your old phone that does not require a data plan so you can save money.

This is to the person that says we won't remove their ASL because they are on a old plan. WRONG WRONG WRONG, we won't remove you becuase you do not meet the above criteria.

It comes down to this there are certain things you have to earn in life, everyone thinks they have to HAVE A CELL PHONE, you do not. No carrier in America is a charity, you want service you pay. The excuse the economy's bad. Yeah well last time I check Sprint was apart of this economy as well. When we have ppl who cannot pay a $69.99 bill on time and they are late every month don't expect extra benefits.

LOL, u work for Sprint & have an ATT iPhone....even u dont have faith in your company....LMAO

the7thson 01-14-2010 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMJ (Post 1486983)
LOL, u work for Sprint & have an ATT iPhone....even u dont have faith in your company....LMAO

Lol nice catch OMJ! Does ANYONE still have faith in Sprint still? It can't be many more people than the old die-hard Sero accounts etc.. I know I'm jumping ship the day the HD2 lands!

MrObvious 01-14-2010 04:11 PM

Wow y'all are spoiled just because they may not have the devices you want you are throwing a hissy fit. I mean Sprint isn't doing the greatest but they are trying to stay afloat like everybody else and they are probably not wanting to risk losing a bit of money on things like new smartphones or they may not simply have the budget at the moment to get a new series of phones with all the customers they are losing. I'm sure they will come back once they start turning a profit again.

Edit: Sorry I realized this sounds a little mean so I apologize.

mwalt2 01-14-2010 04:59 PM

You need to update the title to "Sprint will now charge you $4.99 a month if you don't have automatic credit card pay if you have bad credit aka ASL".

DavidinCT 01-14-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JQuill (Post 1476200)
Sry for the double post...didn't realize it was in carrier discussion. The thing that SUCKS for me is that my account HAS to have a spending limit on it, it has nothing to do with my credit. It's because I have an OLD free and clear plan that I refuse to get rid of.

3000 minutes a month
unlimited nights and weekends @ 7
unlimited sms/mms
unlimited data
unlimited free roaming

for $50 a month

BUT, I only have a ****ing $75 spending limit which they WILL NOT get rid of even though I've paid my bill on time for 4 years. They're probably trying to get rid of people like me, and I'm glad to switch to t-mobile at this point I don't care how much my bill will be.

I have prefered Verizon over Sprint (let's not go to that discussion tho) but, at that price, I would sign a 2 year contract with Sprint tomorrow...

Still a dumb thing about no auto pay, you pay $5 extra a month

GirlGoneGeek 01-15-2010 01:48 AM

The spending limit is based on your credit right? When I worked there, those with no deposit never had a spending limit. Those with a deposit or who had made late payments had a spending limit and yes it drove my customers crazy. Now they are making more money off of your payments.....way to go! Companies always find ways to make more money, ugh!

\

jackeyboy 01-20-2010 05:07 PM

can I take my phone to T mobile or do I have to buy another phone? HTC Touch Pro

the7thson 01-20-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeyboy (Post 1504480)
can I take my phone to T mobile or do I have to buy another phone? HTC Touch Pro

No you can't take your Sprint Touch Pro phone to T-Mobile. T-Mo uses GSM while sprint uses CDMA, they're incompatible with each other. You'll need a GSM phone for T-Mobile.

wud_e 01-20-2010 10:14 PM

I love Sprint. It would take a Sprint Rep coming to my house grabbing my phone and smashing it with a sledgehammer for me to leave them. I'll pay the extra $5. That's fine. A little extra cost to help my favorite phone service stay in business.

arsmithsr 01-20-2010 10:26 PM

Uhn sorry we started with a spending limit now we have none. Pay your bill on time no limit period. So there are some of us who have no spending limit. WE had a spending limit for about a year we pay on time it is now gone!!

MrObvious 01-21-2010 03:42 AM

A lot of people don't realize this is far better than a deposit because when you NEED a cell phone and can't get it because it's expensive (and you are gonna use way too many minutes for prepaid to be an option), then it actually makes it so you can't get a phone without spreading a big expense over a period of time like several months to a year. It sounds like to me Sprint is just trying to cover their assets on people with bad credit who could be delinquent.

gullzway 01-21-2010 08:13 AM

OK, so how do you know if you have an account spending limit, I signed up with Sprint 3 years ago? I have not received any e-mails about this $4.99 charge, and it's not on my Bill anywhere.
A friend signed up with them 3 months ago and received an e-mail about being charged the $4.99 and was not Happy! I told him to call and have the spending limit removed.

jackeyboy 01-24-2010 03:45 PM

I called and asked them to remove it. The phone rep acted a little funny at first. When I simply told him I would switch to T mobile if he didn't he put me on hold for about a minute and came back and said it would not be on my bill. He said the account spending limit was removed from my account and I wouldn't be charged the extra fee.

gullzway 01-27-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeyboy (Post 1513486)
I called and asked them to remove it. The phone rep acted a little funny at first. When I simply told him I would switch to T mobile if he didn't he put me on hold for about a minute and came back and said it would not be on my bill. He said the account spending limit was removed from my account and I wouldn't be charged the extra fee.

The friend of mine called Sprint and they told him they would not remove the ASL, he said he talked to the persons supervisor. Being a Sprint newbie, I told him to call and talk to retentions. I may end up calling for him tomorrow and talk to retentions about ending his contract without an ETF but leaving the line Active. Anyone have success with this??