PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 11:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Telus

borealcool is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Man, I came so close to posting a warning when this site was about to migrate on vB. You could of stretched your shared hosting account for quite a while on phpBB or other software. vB is a resource intensive bandwidth hog. It's got plenty of options a geek (no pun intended) loves, but everything a hosting provider hates.

Some advice...get a managed dedicated box with lots of throughput AND if you can find one, a provider that has extensive knowledge of vB because your problems are only beginning. The more people sign up, the more your server and vB will have to be customized to deal with the traffic. If you want to save yourself a few headaches, don't go for the budget plans either. You should splurge on a powerful server and bandwidth ahead of time.

You could take a look at rackspace.com if phone support is important to you or venturesonline.com with better prices and email support.

vB sucks BIG TIME, sorry you had to find out
Old 10-17-2007, 11:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

borealcool is a n00b
Man, I came so close to posting a warning when this site was about to migrate on vB. You could of stretched your shared hosting account for quite a while on phpBB or other software. vB is a resource intensive bandwidth hog. It's got plenty of options a geek (no pun intended) loves, but everything a hosting provider hates.

Some advice...get a managed dedicated box with lots of throughput AND if you can find one, a provider that has extensive knowledge of vB because your problems are only beginning. The more people sign up, the more your server and vB will have to be customized to deal with the traffic. If you want to save yourself a few headaches, don't go for the budget plans either. You should splurge on a powerful server and bandwidth ahead of time.

You could take a look at rackspace.com if phone support is important to you or venturesonline.com with better prices and email support.

vB sucks BIG TIME, sorry you had to find out
Old 10-18-2007, 12:50 AM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
We were also having issues with phpBB actually.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 10-18-2007, 01:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Firon is just getting started
Switch from Apache to lighttpd, and make use of eAccelerator (bytecode cache for PHP). It'll get you a lot more mileage out of the server. I use both on utorrent.com (including for the forums and the download servers) and have extremely low CPU load.
If you can't afford a dedicated box, then at least get a VPS or something. It'll be improved over most shared hosting and let you have much more control.
Still, your best bet is a full dedicated server.

Last edited by Firon; 10-18-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Mike...slap a big DONATE button on the front end of the site. I'm sure there are plenty of us out there who can fork out a few pesos a month to keep our beloved site up and running.

late,
Coz
Old 10-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max
Threadstarter

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
Im working on it guys. I promise, it wont be long. But does anyone have an idea of how to move our huge mysql database?!? (700MBs)
~Mike

Old 10-18-2007, 02:47 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie View Post
Mike...slap a big DONATE button on the front end of the site. I'm sure there are plenty of us out there who can fork out a few pesos a month to keep our beloved site up and running.

late,
Coz
Couldn't agree more.

A mass of tears have transformed to stones now sharpened on suffering and woven into slings...
Old 10-18-2007, 03:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

borealcool is a n00b
700 Mb is not so bad, here's what you should do...

1. From phpMyAdmin, export your vB database
2. Download PuTTY and ssh/telnet to your new box
3. Inintiate a server-to-server transfer using wget command
4. Install vB and import your local db file

Some FTP clients also allow server-to-server transfers, but it's not as secure as SSH.

Last edited by borealcool; 10-18-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul (PPC6800) > HTC Touch (PPC6900) > HTC Touch Pro (PPC6850)
Carrier: Sprint Sero (1200 Min Plan)

divxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to divxrippimp Send a message via MSN to divxrippimp Send a message via Yahoo to divxrippimp Send a message via Skype™ to divxrippimp
http://www.techduke.com/2007/05/19/g...using-bigdump/
Old 10-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max
Threadstarter

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
Thanks for the reply bo. im new to the whole dedicated server thing. Haven't purchased one but im looking into it. But I did get a email from our current host with is quoted below. Any thoughts? dsod?
_mike

Quote:

Hello,

We had to firewall the following IPs for making excessive connections to
your site forum.ppcgeeks.com, this caused your site to slow down and the
apache to become overloaded.

The IPs were (# on the left is the connections being made)

1014 75.24.90.214

1040 66.249.70.101

1052 24.118.28.90

1330 198.253.30.237

1398 24.124.21.196

1525 71.36.49.58

1663 144.226.230.36

2971 144.226.173.68

6076 82.114.185.195

We have blocked the IPs from connecting the your server so that it will
not bring your site down again. If this is not an IP that you want
blocked please let us know what it is being used for and we will see what
we can work out.

Also the 66.249.70.101 IP if from Google, if you want to continue to get
searched by google you will need to remove this IP from the htaccess
file; But before you do that please read up on how to limit how much
google crawls your site to keep the load down.
http://www.google.com/support/webmas....py?topic=8843

Thanks!

Last edited by Pibe38; 10-20-2007 at 03:15 PM.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements