PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82
PPCGeeks Update - 10/17/09 1:00pm CST

I wanted to give everyone a status update on where we stand and the issues we've had the last couple of days.

If you haven't noticed, the server has been up and down for about 3 days now. There were a few corrupted tables in our MySQL database, which have been repaired (this was Wednesday night).

Yesterday the site was down from about 3:30pm CST until about 9pm. I was running some update scripts to update Apache and PHP. Then I had to tweak both again to get the load down. I haven't updated MySQL yet, but I might be doing that when time permits.

Since last night, the site seems to be more stable, but we'll be able to tell more as people get on today.

Page loads might be a little slower than you're used to. I haven't gotten xCache installed with the new version of PHP yet. I wanted to see how things ran without it before I tried to configure that. If things seem to level out, I will be installing this again.

Since last night, the server load has rarely gotten above 6, which is a lot better than its been. Search disables at 10 and you'll get the "Server too busy" message at 15.

Over the last couple of days we were running out of RAM and had high CPU usage, causing us to use the swap space (like 770mb in swap). When I logged in this morning it looks like we have used about 7mb in swap overnight, so that's a huge difference.

Basically, we're starting to outgrow this server (which is at a hosting company). Its a Quad Core Xeon processor with 4gb of RAM.

We have a couple options we will be looking at from this point on:
1) Keep this server and get a 2nd server for either Apache or MySQL.
2) Upgrade this server to Dual Xeon Quad Core processors and increase the RAM (8, 16, 32...whatever we can get).

Eventually I still want to get the FTP off of this server and put it on the cheaper one Mike still has.

But while we're looking at the other options, hopefully the changes I did last night will be enough to hold us over for another week or so.

Thanks again for all your patience while we go through our growing pains!

Update 10/17/09 1pm CST: See my post here regarding the outage this morning.

Last edited by mindfrost82; 10-17-2009 at 02:32 PM.
This post has been thanked 113 times.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 AM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Carrier: Sprint

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: PPCGeeks Update - 7/16/09 8:30am CST

thx for all the hard work frosty.....it's good to see the site back up!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Page loading seems relatively quick this morning. Thanks for your hard work to the whole PPCGeeks staff!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:44 AM
VIP BABY
Pocket PC: moto driod
Carrier: verzion

madcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

thanx for the update udaman
Old 10-16-2009, 09:49 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Thanks for all your hard work guys!

I'd personally recommend upgrading the current server to a dual quad-core with 8MB RAM. It's nice to have everything running on one machine. From my experience, dealing with a secondary server just to host a database is a major PITA.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Cicatrize; 10-16-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

thanks for the update frosty

Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 AM
S2W
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/MoPho

S2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the community

Thanks for your hard work and time.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Thanks for keeping us all in the loop frosty and for working so hard on this. I don't want to spend my weekend crying abut PPCG being down anymore than you want to spend your weekend trying to resolve issues.

Nice job to you and Mike, and anyone else who was involved. Believe me, we all appreciate it.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO3D
Carrier: Sprint 4g Dallas

dallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Thanks here to, I know it had to be hard work to fing the fix.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

janko10 is keeping up the good workjanko10 is keeping up the good work

Thanks for keeping the site going!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements