PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max
Carrier: Sprint

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
Question [500 Errors] Any big vB boards or php experts?

Just wondering.....since im new to it and all. This is a letter I got in reply to a letter I sent to the host. I was hoping vB would be the answer but is it now time for dedicated hosting?
~Mike

Quote:

Hey there Mike,

In short, this error is due to the user hitting the memory limit of our
procwatch program. Your best bet would be to work on your code to
streamline it. Any unnecessary loops, plugins or processes should be
removed.

If there's anything else I can help you with, let me know!

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:55 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul (PPC6800) > HTC Touch (PPC6900) > HTC Touch Pro (PPC6850)
Carrier: Sprint Sero (1200 Min Plan)

divxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to divxrippimp Send a message via MSN to divxrippimp Send a message via Yahoo to divxrippimp Send a message via Skype™ to divxrippimp
Are they saying that you are using to much bandwidth?
or that your mysql databases are to large or what?

According to what that REALLY LIMITED email says,
your maxing out the server with how much data is
being pulled at one time, maybe not in general, but like
spikes of usage...

Similar to the digg effect...

There are some things you can do to fix that, but iv never worked on
vB or php or databases as large as this site has to be...

I do have really good technical skills and ALOT of knowledge...
so feel free to ask me anything if i can help...

Thanks for the awesome site...

Last edited by divxrippimp; 10-03-2007 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 3D
Carrier: sprint

ls6tt is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to ls6tt
Email them and ask them for more details. It seems they are saying that you need to change something in order to allow THEIR app to function properly.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

pdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuff
Dedicated may be the way to go. It sounds like the site is reaching the memory limit on the shared server, each user (account) is allowed so much memory and with tons of users on here all the time I'm sure it's getting up there. At some point (as with most forums) there's only so much a shared server can offer and at some point we are going to have to get a dedicated server if we keep on growing like this.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul (PPC6800) > HTC Touch (PPC6900) > HTC Touch Pro (PPC6850)
Carrier: Sprint Sero (1200 Min Plan)

divxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to divxrippimp Send a message via MSN to divxrippimp Send a message via Yahoo to divxrippimp Send a message via Skype™ to divxrippimp
Correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx77 View Post
Dedicated may be the way to go. It sounds like the site is reaching the memory limit on the shared server, each user (account) is allowed so much memory and with tons of users on here all the time I'm sure it's getting up there. At some point (as with most forums) there's only so much a shared server can offer and at some point we are going to have to get a dedicated server if we keep on growing like this.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon (via Alltel takeover)

answerman is a n00b
Well, I'm a hosting provider in real life (already talked to Mike about this a few months ago and determined that we weren't a good fit for him) but I can dissect what they told you a bit more.

They run a program called "procwatch" on their shared servers. What it does (in English) is monitor the resource usage of each site on the server (CPU, memory, I/O, etc.) and assign limits to each site based on those numbers. The reason is so one site doesn't run rampant and take the whole machine down. As an example, assume that there were 5 sites on the machine... they could set it so that each site only can use 20% of the total memory, etc.

This is an incredibly dumbed down explanation, so don't put any stock in the numbers, but you get the idea.

Mike, from the bandwidth numbers you gave me a few months back, I think it's just a question of an enormous amount of traffic for a site on a shared server. As much as you don't want to hear this, I think it is time for a dedicated box.

If you do that, make sure it's truly a dedicated box and not a "virtual private server" or anything like that.

Another thing you probably don't want to hear, but I think would be a good idea, would be to tier the membership to two levels "free" and "premium" like HoFo did. With the dedication of the members here, I think you could get enough of the users like myself to pony up a few bucks a year for a "premium" membership to offset the cost of the dedicated box. Count me in as someone who would be happy to pay. IIRC I paid $36 for a one year membership at HoFo. Geez, it's $3 a month. That's one less beer at the sports bar on a Saturday.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Founder & Owner
Threadstarter

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Well looks like its that time. Anybody got any suggestions for a good managed dedicated server host? Cuz it would have to be managed I don't have time to run the server and keep it up to date. Please post some suggestions and we may add a premium type package with fewer ads but theres only one now anyways. The ads are gonna have to come back to support the dedicated server cost. Thanks for your explanation of what's going on though.
_Mike
Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Retired Staff

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP
theplanet.com has dedicated for $69.00 per month.
Dreamhost has adjustable virtual private, but I'd stay away from that.
http://www.lpdedicated.com has dedicated starting at $99/month.
If you want to go virtual and save some money, maybe http://ipower.com/virtual.html might deserve a look. $49 and RAM is burstable to 1 GB (128 dedicated)

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)
Old 10-16-2007, 11:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

santos is just getting started
Slightly off topic, but God bless the Adblock plugin for Firefox.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Founder & Owner
Threadstarter

working on a few quotes. thanks for ur post yuma and others. It was most helpful.
_mike

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements