PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 07:30 PM
VIP BABY
Pocket PC: moto driod
Carrier: verzion

madcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on repmadcook is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Expanding PPCGeeks' Horizons

well maybe this new devices will bring more donations for the site
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, Touch Pro2, EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

toviaheli is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartoviaheli is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartoviaheli is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartoviaheli is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartoviaheli is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to toviaheli Send a message via MSN to toviaheli Send a message via Yahoo to toviaheli Send a message via Skype™ to toviaheli

I think it is great. Wonderful way to move PPCGEEKS to the top of the Google hits! more visibility is always good!

The Book of GOD: Helping Spiritual orphans know God their Father completely!
The New Book by TOV ROSE www.TovRose.com
Get it now on Amazon.com: http://www.createspace.com/3582133
Old 06-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

I think this is a good move for the site-- in terms of Web OS and Android, since they're designed to be very open and flexible for developers to experiment with. Multiple devices with a very very diverse environment is a great thing.

I do NOT feel the iPhone, however, fits this mentality. The whole platform is designed to be BY APPLE FOR APPLE, and any vendor that retains the rights to actively ban and block applications they don't happen to like (not to mention so actively restricts the means of acquiring apps) goes against the entire philosophy of a site like this... especially since non-iStore apps require jailbreaking the phone which Apple classifies as a violation of their terms. Violating the terms of Apple's agreements so blatantly would bring their wrath upon this site AND would violate this site's standing policies of condoning legal activities.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearjunkeez View Post
I honestly dont understand why people are complaining. No one is taking away from the WinMo community. There will be no fewer chefs or posts or threads about WinMo devices. So the site CREATOR decides to expand a little. If you don't have a Pre or other phone, dont go to that forum. I personally got a Pre - but still carry my Touch Pro as well. I like that I dont have to go to another site for the Pre stuff. I dont have to "jump ship" from the site just because I expanded my phone selection. Us WinMo people hate it when iPhone fanboys bash our devices, but why do the same and bash other non-competing technologies? WebOS is Nice, but in my eyes WinMo will always be the best OS for me. Ok - enough preaching...
haha, exactly.
I like variety and choices from that variety.
I think having a few different OSes in the PPCGeeks scene is not a bad thing, I only view it as a good thing. Can mean more donations for the site, more publicity, more developers, more everything.
Change is good, I hate old boring stagnant things.
And maybe with all of these new OSes in the mobile world,
it will make Microsoft step up even more with their OS.
I like WinMO, and only OS I can see myself ever going to is WebOS,
but it's very young, and will take a different device
(mainly sdcard slot, hopefully vga or better screen, and tp2 or even a tp1 like keyboard.)
But in my eyes, opening up development in the OSes can only increase competition. And you want competition between manufacturers and OS developers. As a matter of fact, you want competition between any companies for any type of product or service they provide.
Without that, there is no choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardoc64 View Post
I say bring it on. It is a bit of change with the site offering support for non-WinMob devices but facing the facts that there are a lot more out there with the Pre, iPhone, G1, etc there has to be at least consideration. It will be OK folks, I promise not to let Coz put up the pink plastic flamingoes he wanted to.
hahahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
I think this is a good move for the site-- in terms of Web OS and Android, since they're designed to be very open and flexible for developers to experiment with. Multiple devices with a very very diverse environment is a great thing.

I do NOT feel the iPhone, however, fits this mentality. The whole platform is designed to be BY APPLE FOR APPLE, and any vendor that retains the rights to actively ban and block applications they don't happen to like (not to mention so actively restricts the means of acquiring apps) goes against the entire philosophy of a site like this... especially since non-iStore apps require jailbreaking the phone which Apple classifies as a violation of their terms. Violating the terms of Apple's agreements so blatantly would bring their wrath upon this site AND would violate this site's standing policies of condoning legal activities.
haha. you really do not want an iPhone section do you?
I do see what you mean though, about the legal thing,
and Apple does like to pursue legal matters alot.
Plus I don't really want iPhone Fanboys posting in the WM section,
but then we could just flood their sections with things their iphone can't do.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post
Plus I don't really want iPhone Fanboys posting in the WM section, but then we could just flood their sections with things their iphone can't do.
Well that's a whole other factor that I wasn't going to mention, but yes, the conflicts that arise from any fanboy mentality is NOT what this site needs or should want.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie View Post
It'll be ok everyone. To use a metaphor in this instance: "We're not remodeling the entire house...we're just trying out some new landscape features in the yard."

late,
Coz
I pee on the lawn gnome that you call "new landscape features". lol jk

I don't mind, it's just going to make our community that much bigger. We get a closer look at other devices and making apps for our WM ppc.

Last edited by jason25; 06-15-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:52 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie View Post
It'll be ok everyone. To use a metaphor in this instance: "We're not remodeling the entire house...we're just trying out some new landscape features in the yard."

late,
Coz
I'd come home drunk and post something in the gnome forum. So as long as their in their own forums and the link is really small... I'm game. But this is PPC-Geeks, the Pocket PC Information Station... Then again there in only one thing that you can only count on, that one thing is stuff always changes.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue, HTC 5800, Touch it like a Pro!
Carrier: Verizon

shadowfender42 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowfender42 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshadowfender42 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post

They dont have to be jailbreaking it, Its just an Iphone OS section which means they can do anything from talking about a cool app they picked up to tips and tricks with the phone. Heck they could even discuss jailbreaking (I think, Im no lawyer). However will they want jailbreak? Yes, will they? probably.

Edit: also if youll see in my other posts, I have no problem with it whatsoever but......Doesnt apple consider their macs a....well a mac instead of a PC? So isn't the Iphone, running on a compact and edited version of OS X (I believe this to be true cant remember if it was just a rumor or whatever) a Pocket Mac instead of a Pocket PC? Its silly thinking but technically correct.

***ZEBRAPPC***

zebra cases are for L337 pimps.

Last edited by shadowfender42; 06-15-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:46 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

Whosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to Whosdaman Send a message via MSN to Whosdaman Send a message via Yahoo to Whosdaman Send a message via Skype™ to Whosdaman

Let the Palm people make their OWN website, Just like how we got PPC CMDA, and XDA got PPC GSM (but now it's sorta changed), Blackberry has Crackberry...

Why can't someone that has a Palm or like Palm get some balls and make their own site for themselves....ugh, this is not a good sign
Old 06-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t
Threadstarter

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosdaman View Post
Let the Palm people make their OWN website, Just like how we got PPC CMDA, and XDA got PPC GSM (but now it's sorta changed), Blackberry has Crackberry...

Why can't someone that has a Palm or like Palm get some balls and make their own site for themselves....ugh, this is not a good sign
I believe there already is a Pre forum out there, and TreoCentral, etc.

This is just a way to offer a little support for other devices. If it bombs, it bombs, but it might work and be a success, ya never know.

As others have said, if you don't like those devices, don't go in those forums, easy enough.

As far as flaming, we will do our best to moderate it, as always. Its against the forum rules and everyone has been/will be forced to read them.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements