PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

PPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: FTP now anonymous, no password needed

So if we had items on the FTP before, are they simply gone now?

I tried logging in and all I see is a folder called Incoming. I had CABS and OEMS on Apache/PPCFreak under 2 directories; Cabs and Oems.
Thanks.

NRGz Wiki/FAQ Here
NRGz 29022 Sense 2.5 CHT1.8.5 Jul 4th
Old 03-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP

No, they are still there. You just don't need a name and password anymore to access them. Login to the FTP as anonymous or just click ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com and you will find them.

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)
Old 03-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP

I have updated the first post with information about creating folders. Long story short, it is not possible on anonymous FTP, so PM me if you need a folder made.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue/Sprint Touch

mrgeoff is keeping up the good workmrgeoff is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to mrgeoff

I'm curious... would it be possible for a web app to be created that uses the only ftp account to make the folder creations and file management?

You could have it setup to use our forum credentials for authentication. I would take a shot in the dark and say file management could be verified as long as the username is within the ftp layout (/vogue/users/mrgeoff/folder1/goober.txt). I know this would be an undertaking, but I have a feeling your PM box isn't going to be lonely lol
Old 03-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

It hasn't been, and I am looking at writing a php app to do something like this. That may take some time, though. Great suggestion.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

If you would like something deleted from the FTP, please send me a PM with the location of the file and then rename the file putting DELETEME_ at the front of the file. This insures that I delete the right one.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2! Touch Pro, Touch, Mogul, 6700

ImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Yuma,
I'm glad we have the anonymous ftp and all, but isn't it possible to keep the ppcgeeks user and just have read permissions (at least for a while)? That isn't a good plan to have EVERYONE with a link in their posts to have to edit them immediately with no notice. I just updated like 10 or so of my own links after seeing lots of users complaining about not being able to download. I knew enough to go to this section and see what I needed to do to fix it, but this has very broad scope and should be communicated at least with an announcment in the banner for a while if it will break so many links.

Thanks!

EDIT: I guess if there's only one account allowed though we can't have just a read only one. Maybe mindfrost can do a DB update for the ppcgeeks:ezupload@ and replace with nothing (got the links working now, had to get out of the fancy editor mode)

Last edited by ImCoKeMaN; 03-14-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Unfortunately, we can't just keep the user. It's kind of all or nothing. In all fairness, though, there was some warning that changes were coming in the thread that announced the FTP had been vandalized (again.) I did not change any of the folder structures, so removing the name and password should allow direct access to the files. I just tested ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Titan/Users/Im...n_Relocker.exe in Firefox and it went to the file just fine.

If I had made an announcement that the change was coming, and someone took that opportunity to further delete items on the FTP, then there would be those issues. Hopefully this isn't too much of a burden, and the FTP can function as everyone wants it to soon.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Baffles, ImCoKeMan, budney, PPCFreak, and Wideawake - can you guys check your PMs? I have sent you some information on a test for the FTP.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Testing of the new system seems to have gone well. Thank you to those that have tested it.

From now on, you will have anonymous access to the FTP via a standard FTP client to do uploads and downloads (same as the last week or so.) The process for deletes and folder creation has just become easier, though.

If you would like to delete a file or create a folder on the FTP, please send me a PM and I will create an account for you (if you wish, you can include your desired password so that I give you one you like.) I will then send you your login information and instructions on how to delete items or create folders. I hope that everyone likes this, and our FTP has no further problems.

Please note, that under this system, all deletes are logged and can be traced back to the person that deleted the item(s) so if any user were to trash the FTP again, we can lock them out of their ability to repeat the problem.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements