PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 01:48 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: PPCGeeks.com FTP Vandalized. Everyones help needed!

Who would want ALL the Mogul and Vogue files? I mean, it is a possibility and I hope that's what happened.

However, there really are people out there with nothing better to do.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 03-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max
Threadstarter

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake

Yeap who would need all those files? And not take the folder structure......I mean all the folders are still there but someone took there time and deleted all the files only. Odd? I think so...
~mike

Old 03-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

I'm not sure about allowing them to delete files they uploaded since everyone uses the same account, but you could probably set permissions on the FTP directory (and all subdirectories and files) to disallow deleting and moving. If something needed to be deleted or moved, you could always have the admin account and do it.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

What in the world?! hearing about this makes me feel enraged... i really want to hope somehow it was an accident, but from how it was described it's not likely.

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 03-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP

I'd agree with mindfrost. It would be easiest (once it is all uploaded again) to set everything to read only for the public account. Then make an additional account that has full access. The problem then becomes that no one can add to the FTP without going through the admin account. I think the FTP is still on Dreamhost, right Mike? If so, then anonymous FTP is only $3.95/month or $47.40/year. This would allow for an upload only account, that no one can delete from. An admin could move approved stuff into a second folder which is download only. Again, no one could delete stuff. The admin account would be the only on that could make big changes.

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)
Old 03-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Banned User

dzuchowski is becoming a great contributor

i think sprint did it or htc did it.... they are aware of this site...
Old 03-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

They didn't actually take the folder structures... everything is gone. If you right click and refresh the ftp they're not there. I think OMJ saw it first as when I saw the FTP his were the only files that had started to be uploaded, I put mine there next, but the all the folders had to be remade, at least on the vogue side.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2/TouchPro2
Carrier: T-Mo

reeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica2450 View Post
What in the world?! hearing about this makes me feel enraged... i really want to hope somehow it was an accident, but from how it was described it's not likely.

I totally agree. Horrible that someone would do something like that...I mean COME ON. WTF

I wish I had some of the files to help.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:40 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP

Just a reminder, remember to be careful when downloading off a public FTP. We received a tip of a fake file and it is being taken care of, so far it seems harmless, it was just a waste of space.

However, if someone deleted everything, they could also upload harmful content.

Just be careful since someone seems to have nothing better to do than to screw with a community that provides so much for each other.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Let me count thy wounds
Pocket PC: Photon 4G

blasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Yahoo to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Skype™ to blasphemous_prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibe38 View Post
Just a reminder, remember to be careful when downloading off a public FTP. We received a tip of a fake file and it is being taken care of, so far it seems harmless, it was just a waste of space.

However, if someone deleted everything, they could also upload harmful content.

Just be careful since someone seems to have nothing better to do than to screw with a community that provides so much for each other.
Word taken and appreciated. good lookin' out and i've seen a post of a thread you shut down earlier, and the original poster on that thread, i had a funny feeling that this was someone trying to come back and scare us.
If you are literally serving shit to American children, or knowingly spinning a wheel where it is not unlikely that you will eventually serve shit – if that’s your business model? Then I got no problems with a jury of your peers wiring your nuts to a car battery and feeding you the accumulated sweepings from the bottom of a monkey cage. In fact, I’ll hold the spoon.” -Ralph Dunlop-

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements