PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 09:33 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah you probably just need to find a new hosting company. I don't have any suggestions there, but these guys have been a pain in the butt, and your site just has a lot of traffic (usually a good thing, unless your hosting company is brain dead.)

If we need to start paying or putting up with more ads on the site to support it, so be it.

And yeah, I missed it. I need my ppcgeeks fix.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideawake View Post
edited my original post.
Well, I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician, and CompTIA A+ certified, and I have some background with HTML coding.

The message you posted about the commands being killed is a bit vague. It could either be internal (virus) or external (hacker). Also, the load on the server could be due to the fact that the forums is simply too large, and there is alot of access to the stored files here. Items that would cause an increase in server load are probably from the FTP. Also, if the server is being used for any other purpose, (non-dedicated) the priorities can be scrambled, and it could back up traffic.

Due to the lack of information on the EXACT reason why the site was down, I'm not sure if this is of help, but the caching of older posts could be disabled. You could then add an option within search to include posts after a certain date, but the search would take a bit longer.

Please contact me on the forum if you would like to chat more. I'm on AIM (violinguy92). Also you probably have access to my email address. If you don't, PM me and I can give it to you.

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo pro Soon to be Touch pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

remlle is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to remlle Send a message via AIM to remlle Send a message via Yahoo to remlle
need help let me know I sent you a text
Old 01-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Send a message via ICQ to remlle Send a message via AIM to remlle Send a message via Yahoo to remlle
Ide need more info but it may be someone exploiting a hole in VB. I have it and run it on a couple boards are you current on the vb software and sure the system is patched all the way?
If oyu need a new host I can host you on one of my 2 dedicated servers.FREE. let me know I Sent ya a Text
Old 01-29-2008, 10:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: sprint

chantelle82 is just getting started
man i almost started crying when i t was down..I THOUGHT MY MOGUL WAS TOO SEXY FOR THE WEB SIT...LOL...FROM WHAT I KNOW OF THE PROBLEM IS THAT PPC SERVER ISNT BIG ENOUGH ANY MORE TO HOLD THE FILES AND THE TRAFFIC. SO HOW BIG IS THE SERVER??? CAN U UPGRADE FROM WHAT WE HAVE NOW TO ANYTHING BIG...OR MAKE PEOPLE BECOME MEMBER BEFORE THEY CAN EVEN GET TO THE SITES....ERASE OLDER FORUMS...HUMM....by the way...my tonsils are out and i cant eat....
lol....ppcgeeks...the secret of woman....lol
Old 01-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles
I have experience with dedicated servers and database stuff. I don't know how much resources this site takes, but perhaps you can move to a new host (perhaps 1and1 or someone big) with hosting that meets your requirements. If you don't know much about dedicated hosting and there is a problem, that will only give you bigger headaches.

If the site is too big for shared hosting, you could go with a managed server. It gives you the ease of having everything supported by your host and set up for you on your own dedicated box.

By the way, it's not a server being big enough to hold the files issue, it sounds like the server you are on (i assume it's shared hosting) is overloaded, and can't handle the load. Making people register before viewing the site is a horrible idea, I would have never registered here if it was a requirement to be able to view the site. I usually leave sites that require membership as quickly as I clicked the link.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker

This is the final time Ill offer my server and the use to you. Ive offered it before and no response. I have plenty of room power and bandwith. up to you now.
IVe texted you and messaged you
Old 01-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
shot u a txt back. again guys and gals I do apologize and know that I have several members calling with there suggestions and/or recommendations. Thanks and keep them coming via calls or txts!
~mike

Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
shot u a txt back. again guys and gals I do apologize and know that I have several members calling with there suggestions and/or recommendations. Thanks and keep them coming via calls or txts!
~mike
Old 01-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/Mogul/TouchPro/TouchPro2/EVO rooted

itsall_cooool is keeping up the good workitsall_cooool is keeping up the good work
its all those double posts Mike!!

just trying to bring some humor to what I am sure must be an aggravating situation for you, let alone us junkies

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements