PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: PPCGeeks Stance on ESN Cloning Or Anything Of The Likes

not sure why prohibiting the changing of ESNs is not a good thing. ESNs should be treated like VINs on cars, serial numbers of guns, etc. It seems the primary justification for legitimate ESN cloning is getting around ridiculous limitations the carriers impose on service offerings. But the problem is the carrier's ridiculous rules, not that ESNs *should* be arbitrarily changeable by all customers.

I think if you allow an ESN changing free-for-all with software and the means for ESN changing/cloning widely available, you'll end up with a nightmare of hijacked accounts, DOSs of your enemies phones, etc. You mean that its a good idea that I can program my Verizon CDMA phone to any ESN I choose?

Fix the carrier's stupid rules instead, make all fee for services based on the SERVICE, not the device. But don't encourage an ESN free-for-all.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Other

nsxt is a n00b
Re: PPCGeeks Stance on ESN Cloning Or Anything Of The Likes

Where did this definition of 'without authorization' come from?

"Without authorization, means any device the carrier did not directly and knowingly assign to your account. Even if you have a valid account and are a paying customer, cloning a device to that account is unauthorized, because the device being authenticated and authorized on the network is the donor device not the device you cloned. An example of this but not limited to this example is cloning a Motorola flip phone to a Samsung Epic smart phone, The Samsung epic would authenticate as a Motorola flip phone, not a Samsung Epic Smart phone. The carrier did not explicitly authorize this smart phone device, and it is accessing the network in an unauthorized and illegal manner."

Yet according to TMobile's use of SIM cards:

"The SIM card is the brain of a digital phone. It is a card that comes with T-Mobile phones, featuring a computer microchip. You can easily insert the card into the phone or transfer it into other phones, retaining your phone book and personalized service information."

And from AT&T
"SIM cards allow users to easily switch their account information between other compatible GSM devices for immediate use. "

The service associated with the SIM does not change, regardless of what phone or device. "Without authorization" for a specific device, as defined by and exampled in the original post, is not accurate. The SIM card is the authorized device.

Last edited by nsxt; 11-11-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:42 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch
Carrier: Sprint

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/15.0.874.106 Safari/535.2)

im all for being able to clone an esn to use another device i.e. boost sanyo to use epic 4g . The carrier is still making money. The carrier knows what phones are actually pulling services from their network and you paid for the phone which makes it yours as long as none of this is being done to damage/hurt/spy/stalk etc. anyone else which is the reason why the whole law pass A LOOOOOOOONNNNGGGG TIME AGO which doesnt even 100% apply to now in days.

But what does Tmobile and AT&T sim card have to do with ESN switching

Old 11-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2 WM+XDA
Carrier: Boost

Sc/ant864 is keeping up the good workSc/ant864 is keeping up the good workSc/ant864 is keeping up the good work
Personally I'm cool with whatever the site owners and staff deem as "allowed" content. The biggest problem I see with cloning is most of the devices used are bad esn's and I'm sure a good cross section of that is stolen phones.

Sent from my ppcT7380 Ti/FRX06-07 via PPCG app

GBX0C buttery goodness with 3.3.8 kernel sprinkled on top.
Looking for another cool mobile forum? Don't join Howard Forums because they sick a duck.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements