PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Electrify
Carrier: USCC

swlaraut is halfway to VIP status based on repswlaraut is halfway to VIP status based on repswlaraut is halfway to VIP status based on repswlaraut is halfway to VIP status based on repswlaraut is halfway to VIP status based on repswlaraut is halfway to VIP status based on repswlaraut is halfway to VIP status based on repswlaraut is halfway to VIP status based on repswlaraut is halfway to VIP status based on repswlaraut is halfway to VIP status based on repswlaraut is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HELP!!! GPS software causing reboot and/or freezing

Just a note. I was having the same problem as everyone else. I discovered that if I flashed Sprint radio 1.12.34f that solved the problem. If I try to go back to any other radio the problem returns. I am with USCC and do not like this radio as much as the telus but..........

I wish someone with more brain power than me could figure out why this one radio solves the problem.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

stormygal_indy is keeping up the good workstormygal_indy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I double checked Notepad under XP. It will corrupt the file. DON'T use NOTEPAD to update date.

Here is a trick I found. In a DOS window (Command Prompt) do this.

copy xtra.bin+,,
In case anyone wants a utility to do it via PC, I've attached the one I found and used.
Attached Files
File Type: zip filedatech.zip (20.2 KB, 74 views) Click for barcode!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

stormygal_indy is keeping up the good workstormygal_indy is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Try killing QuickGPS service. I use memmaid and just set it to manual and reboot. Good catch ! Hope sprintnav is using the service which is easy to disable.

If that does not work you can munge the registry so it won't find the gpsone servers. And if that does not work you are SOOL.
OK, been further putting this through its paces to see if we can narrow down the specifics around when the xtra.bin works for some people and when it doesn't.

I can confirm that I've been in and out of Bing, GoogleMaps and GPS Weather Radar all morning and early afternoon multiple times successfully with the xtra.bin files I put in place Sunday night. The xtra.bin file still holds the 11/1 date and 36.4 file size from when I placed them there on Sunday.

Just now to test, I launched the updated version of the Sprint Nav from the shipped ROM, had it pull current location but noticed when it was saying Getting GPS the percentage never moved before showing me a map. I had it give me a route to somewhere and cancelled, then exited. THEN I noticed GPS signal problems in all of the apps that were successful earlier, and an xtra.bin file with 11/2 date and 36.3 size now appears in both locations. Reboot doesn't make any difference, GPS won't lock signal in GoogleMaps, GPS Weather Radar or Bing then.

Replaced the xtra.bin files with the 11/1 36.4 file, soft reset and those apps lock signal again.

So to anyone still having GPS troubles, uncheck all the boxes in the QuickGPS settings and give the xtra.bin replacement a shot (be sure to put the date-corrected file in both \Windows and \Temp (device, not Windows\Temp). And if you still experience trouble, report what programs you're using to test the GPS with. I've attached the date-changed 11/1 file I've been using if anyone wants to use it.

Are there any other factors that could contribute to who has issues and who doesn't? Could date of manufacture play into it at all?
Attached Files
File Type: zip xtrabin110109.zip (32.4 KB, 40 views) Click for barcode!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC DIAMOND
Carrier: BELL

bonmot is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormygal_indy View Post
OK, been further putting this through its paces to see if we can narrow down the specifics around when the xtra.bin works for some people and when it doesn't.

I can confirm that I've been in and out of Bing, GoogleMaps and GPS Weather Radar all morning and early afternoon multiple times successfully with the xtra.bin files I put in place Sunday night. The xtra.bin file still holds the 11/1 date and 36.4 file size from when I placed them there on Sunday.

Just now to test, I launched the updated version of the Sprint Nav from the shipped ROM, had it pull current location but noticed when it was saying Getting GPS the percentage never moved before showing me a map. I had it give me a route to somewhere and cancelled, then exited. THEN I noticed GPS signal problems in all of the apps that were successful earlier, and an xtra.bin file with 11/2 date and 36.3 size now appears in both locations. Reboot doesn't make any difference, GPS won't lock signal in GoogleMaps, GPS Weather Radar or Bing then.

Replaced the xtra.bin files with the 11/1 36.4 file, soft reset and those apps lock signal again.

So to anyone still having GPS troubles, uncheck all the boxes in the QuickGPS settings and give the xtra.bin replacement a shot (be sure to put the date-corrected file in both \Windows and \Temp (device, not Windows\Temp). And if you still experience trouble, report what programs you're using to test the GPS with. I've attached the date-changed 11/1 file I've been using if anyone wants to use it.

Are there any other factors that could contribute to who has issues and who doesn't? Could date of manufacture play into it at all?
Yes 36.4 is good, 35.3 is bad.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormygal_indy View Post

Keep in mind that, that attachment will probably stop working in a week.

I think it ignores anything older than a week.

That's why I suggested to folks to set the date to current date rather than upload something that will work just for a week.

Once your GPS works again. You can delete the files.

Have you tried setting the QuickGPS Service to MANUAL to get Sprint NAV working, I suspect that will work.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Have you tried setting the QuickGPS Service to MANUAL to get Sprint NAV working, I suspect that will work.
No, I haven't tried that yet. I'm still running 6.1 shipped without all of my apps reinstalled, of which Memmaid is one.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: The Now Network

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep

has anyone with insurance on their phone contacted Sprint? I mean, normally this problem would not be on the end user to solve, but for the techs at Sprint.

"I am Mulhiny and I am a flasher"..wmdunn
"I am Mulhiny and I'm a phone junkie"..Riley
Old 11-03-2009, 02:06 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

shannl is a n00b

I took mine into the local Sprint service center today and they are replacing it with a new one since it was rebooting. It is under insurance but that shouldnt make a diff unless there is physical damage. While the tech was checking it out two other people called in with the same problem. She said she was going to get central support to log a system outage for the GPS problem.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:13 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

For those interested I have made a cab that should solve your GPS problem.

Use it at your own risk, I was not going to leave this as a stand alone fix.
These are registry and file entries that I was going to implement in my next Telenav optimizations, but should work here.

EDIT:
It is my belief that "QuikGPS" is not the culprit, just the "messenger".
The conflict of data interaction is the issue, and my cab should "divert" the issue.
I could be totally wrong, but I am guessing the carriers agps data, is the issue.
Attached Files
File Type: cab Maxx134_GPS_UpdatedRegEntrees.cab (1.3 KB, 31 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by Maxx134; 11-03-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: The Now Network

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

crazy thing..my phone downloaded a new Quick GPS packet on it's own this morning and all seems to be fixed.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond