PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: sprint

diomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
3+ weeks w/ the pre (vs sprint touch pro)

I'm sticking with the Pre.

I actually wanted to take along my touch pro the other day to the gym because I wanted to catch up on my audible audiobooks or slingplayer slingplayer (no slingplayer for pre yet, although I'm sure they're working on it.. and no audible support yet..) - my plan was to use the wifi and tether to the pre - problem was, the touch pro's wifi started acting up on me when selecting the right network.. and I can no longer bring up the list of wireless networks.. reminded me what I hated about the touch pro.. things work.. until they don't.. and the small ok boxes.. and the time it takes to go from one app to another (even via spb mobile shell..).. and the sluggish scrolling (which i thought was awesome w/ wm65.. but realized was really sluggish after trying the pre), and the browser (which i thought kicked butt with opera 9.7, but the pre's is so much faster..), and.. and..

To give some background, I bough the pre at full price ($600) - I just wanted to play with it.. My plan was to return it before the month was up.

I had three major gripes.. a) no podcast reader yet b) bluetooth headset didn't work as well as on my touch pro.. c) small keyboard on the pre.. and no autocorrection so I kept making mistakes typing

The touch pro definately has a stronger bluetooth antenna.. but keeping the pre in my back pocket (instead of front) makes it so that it works correctly and doesn't cut out, so no big deal..

And I discovered netvibes.com - which makes listening to podcasts on the pre almost as easy as listening to them using kinoma play on the touch pro.. There's apps missing, (such as slingplayer), but they're coming. I also have a ipod touch that I can tether to the pre when I need some other apps (such as slingplayer..) - so no big deal..

As far as the keyboard.. the hacking community found a way to swap out the autoreplace texts on the pre so that it fixes common typos - plus I've gotten used to it.. I'm fairly fast on it now, and it's easier to slidehow in portrait and use the pre then it ever was to slideout the landscape keyboard on the touch pro..

For that case, it's much easier to use the pre one-handed then it ever was w/ the touch pro.

As long as palm stays calm on allowing hackers full access to the box (...or, if the hackers win the cat and mouse game as they always do anyways), then the pre's for me.. It's just such a nice phone!

if you're on the fence, try it.. you'll love it.. I tried it thinking I'd switch back (especially since I was paying $600 for the darn thing..) - but I can't get myself to return it..

-mark

Last edited by diomark; 07-13-2009 at 03:54 PM.
This post has been thanked 7 times.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

pyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to pyro254750 Send a message via MSN to pyro254750
Re: 3+ weeks w/ the pre (vs sprint touch pro)

the pre is an excellent phone I will agree. But this is another one of those iphone or touch pro discussions. If you set the iphone, pre, and TP side by side, you will have people that prefer each one over the other two. The TP is a weak phone with the stock operating system, plain and simple. In my experience, so are most other windows mobile devices. Bottom line is, windows mobile is for people who enjoy tweaking/modding their phone. If you are willing to take the time to do the necessary mods, windows mobile will blow any other phone/os out of the water, but out of the box, both the iphone and the pre blow the TP out of the water. My biggest complaint with the pre, is the same as my biggest complaint with the iphone. It is too user friendly. The pre and the iphone are both flashy, neat little devices, but they both lack the functionality and multitasking ability of windows mobile. bottom line is, there is no way to determine which device is the better device, because it depends on the person using it. I have direct access to all three phones, and i still wouldnt trade my TP for anything on the market right now. even so, the pre definately is a nice phone, with alot of nice features, and well worth looking into if you find windows mobile too cumbersome.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:18 PM
truth mirror
Pocket PC: N Deuce

w7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuff

Well said ^^
Old 07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i disagree with the BT statement, personally i get better BT quality with my Pre. I have a MOTO T505 and when i use the Touch Pro or my Diamond to stream music using FM i get a bunch of static/white noise in the background when i keep the phone it the holster or case. When using the Palm Pre, i dont hear as much, if any static.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"
Old 07-13-2009, 05:09 PM
brushrop03

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro254750 View Post
the pre is an excellent phone I will agree. But this is another one of those iphone or touch pro discussions. If you set the iphone, pre, and TP side by side, you will have people that prefer each one over the other two. The TP is a weak phone with the stock operating system, plain and simple. In my experience, so are most other windows mobile devices. Bottom line is, windows mobile is for people who enjoy tweaking/modding their phone. If you are willing to take the time to do the necessary mods, windows mobile will blow any other phone/os out of the water, but out of the box, both the iphone and the pre blow the TP out of the water. My biggest complaint with the pre, is the same as my biggest complaint with the iphone. It is too user friendly. The pre and the iphone are both flashy, neat little devices, but they both lack the functionality and multitasking ability of windows mobile. bottom line is, there is no way to determine which device is the better device, because it depends on the person using it. I have direct access to all three phones, and i still wouldnt trade my TP for anything on the market right now. even so, the pre definately is a nice phone, with alot of nice features, and well worth looking into if you find windows mobile too cumbersome.
Agreed...

I'll wait and see how WebOS matures over the next year. Wouldn't pay $600 for what I consider a WebOS prototype. without a doubt WebOS is nice...
Old 07-13-2009, 05:16 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
i aggre with basically everything cept when you stated that the Pre cant multitask like WinMo...... are you serious??? maybe you mean the iPhone...
Old 07-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

diomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:

Don't get me wrong. I *love* tinkering with my phone. there's nothing stock on my wm65 sprint touch pro.

That's another reason I like the pre though.. all the code (on the rooted pre) is easy to change, it's baiscally running linux, and there's people that have setup source repositories for downloading patching/applying them (or you can just go in an edit the text.. it's all text!) - VERY hackable.. for now..
-mark
Old 07-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtech3 View Post
i disagree with the BT statement, personally i get better BT quality with my Pre. I have a MOTO T505 and when i use the Touch Pro or my Diamond to stream music using FM i get a bunch of static/white noise in the background when i keep the phone it the holster or case. When using the Palm Pre, i dont hear as much, if any static.
lol; curious, do you live in a major city?

I think alot of the cutouts that I get on the pre is because it's not playing as nice as other phones in switching channels/etc.. there's so much interference in san francisco downtown..

My touch pro is *much* more reliable in regards to the bluetooth.. so funny that you have the opposite experience.
-mark
Old 07-15-2009, 03:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Prē

fr4nk1yn is keeping up the good workfr4nk1yn is keeping up the good workfr4nk1yn is keeping up the good work

The bluetooth range on my Pre is much better than my T-Pro too.
I have to turn off the T505 when I leave the car because the Pre will stay connected at ot home and certain palces at work.
Not to mention it actually auto-connects itself. Something the T-Pro NEVER did reliabky.
Radio: Sprint 1.11.00F
Old 07-15-2009, 03:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Prē

fr4nk1yn is keeping up the good workfr4nk1yn is keeping up the good workfr4nk1yn is keeping up the good work

The bluetooth range on my Pre is much better than my T-Pro too.
I have to turn off the T505 when I leave the car because the Pre will stay connected at ot home and certain palces at work.
Not to mention it actually auto-connects itself. Something the T-Pro NEVER did reliabky.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre