PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 12:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

nswenson is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnswenson is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnswenson is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMG!! My keyboard stopped working!!!

There's an easy fix for the keyboard issue. The ribbon cable connector gets loose. The connector is just under the space bar. To fix it simply press the space bar VERY hard, almost to point it where feels like you might break it. My keyboard was completely dead. Works perfectly now.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:19 AM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nswenson View Post
There's an easy fix for the keyboard issue. The ribbon cable connector gets loose. The connector is just under the space bar. To fix it simply press the space bar VERY hard, almost to point it where feels like you might break it. My keyboard was completely dead. Works perfectly now.
Hmm, sounds like something that could potentially break it, of course it would be broken before you would try it, so if it works, awesome! Thanks mane.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO LTE

AB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentjonnyb View Post
This just happened to me, I hard reset and everything, keyboard still wouldn't work anymore, my Sprint store could not replace the keyboard, they had to order another TP, I strongly insisted they make sure that they are sent a brand new one, and no refurb, after all the turmoil I've been through with refurbs before. They did, a brand new one is on the way (for free, no deductible, thank God, after all, it's a defect, not user mess-up).

This is still really unfortunate, I know some Sprint stores actually have the parts and training to open TP's and replace the keyboards rather than get another few hundred dollar phone. Now I also had to order another invisible shield full body skin (arrrg!)...I really wanted this bad boy to stay strong with me till I can upgrade to a Tegra based device (TP3 maybe???)...hopefully this replacement will be perfect...

I took mine into the Sprint Store and they fixed it in 20 minutes by replacing the keyboard, so no need to pay $50 for the insurance. You should use BODYGUARDZ because they give you 2 in the box and life time replacements for $5 each.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

izanagi is keeping up the good workizanagi is keeping up the good workizanagi is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nswenson View Post

Yep this worked like a charm. I had to take off the back cover and battery, and yes, pinched the crap out of the keyboard panel, and huzzah! it works now!

W00t

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2009, 04:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO LTE

Dexi is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Dexi

ive had mine replaced TWICE for this issue... it's a *****.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Coucher is just getting started

Just had my keyboard replaced yesterday at the Sprint store. The repair tech said he had spent several hours on the phone the day before with a HTC rep about how many keyboard failures they were beginning to see and the HTC rep told him they were aware of the issue and were modifying the way the connectors were attached on the circuit board on Touch Pros currently being made.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc touch pro (alltel), Telus Touch pro 2
Carrier: Tbaytel mobility

jarmenti is a n00b

i've had good success by unplugging the keyboard connector.. cleaning with isopropyl or electonic contact cleaner, recoonnecting the keyboard plug. and taping in place. Has anyone ever noticed how any other htc devices have foil tape on the ribbon to secure it to the mainboard..(i've had every previous model line of the touch pro .. 6700, mogul apart before for repairs) yet the tp has nothing?

It would be interesting to see if there are any that exist with the foil tape.. possibly newer versions. mine was made early in 09 . With the amount of shock (even just the slider opening and closing, would be enough shock to possibly loosen the connector). i've also had a theory of pocket humidity furthur wreaking havoc on the keyboard connection, but its just a hunch. because my device began acting up after a hot day of being in my humid pocket.

After cleaning the connnector terminals and taping it down, I've yet to have the problem. If you have warranty then return and get a new or refurb phone. But if your like me (no coverage) totally worth a shot as i've had great successs doing this.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

I have never heard of this problem before.
hmmmmm......
Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

XRS yo is a n00b

Chiming in to say I've had the same problem twice. Once with a brand-new one two weeks after I got it direct from the Sprint store, and once with the refurb I just got last week.

This is pretty obnoxious. I miss my Apache sometimes. Despite being large and clumsy, that thing was a built like a tank.

e: I just tried the spacebar mashing method that was mentioned above and it solved my problem. Sprint has already ordered me a new phone however.

Last edited by XRS yo; 07-09-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo

scottmail is becoming a great contributor

I am having this same problem with my wife's and my touch pro. tried the spacebar solution with no success. Time for another one.

When will they start replacing these with the Touch Pro 2? I know they are not out yet, but maybe I could just wait another week or 2....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro