PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 12:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch WM6.5
Carrier: Sprint

acontrasto is keeping up the good workacontrasto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to acontrasto
Gesture-driven interaction on your camera phones

I've seen it a few times around here where people ask something like "Are there any games or applications that respond to movement for my phone?" Generally the phones they have aren't equipped with an accelerometer and therefore do not support those games. Although, there is one game that I've known about for ~5 months now called 3D Lawn Darts that responds to movement of the phone by using the camera. About a year ago, I also remember NetFront creating a concept of a browser that allowed you to navigate the web just by rotating and moving your phone in the direction you wanted the page to move.

Since then I've been really interested in this technology, but I haven't been able to find much about it until now. I came across a company online that developed the tools needed for applications to be able to use the camera as if it were an accelerometer. The company is called GestureTek and the technology is called the EyeMobile Engine.

They've been around since mid 2006 and I have no idea how they aren't more popular. There is a lot of interest in this area, especially for people that don't have motion-sensing phones. Since 2006 there have been a number of games and applications using their engine created for the specific use of camera-detected movement.

Unfortunately the list of supported phones is quite sparse, and several of the applications are either only offered by certain service providers or they're integrated into only certain phones. Although, if you could find them out there, I have a feeling they might work on your phone.

Happy searching, and let us know if you find anything!

On a side note, I believe this technology is quite similar to how Micro$oft will incorporate gesture recognition into their Windows Mobile 7 OS (using the camera rather than an accelerometer). That's great news for those of us who don't have the high-tech stuff built in yet. Too bad the scheduled release date is reportedly not until the second half of 2009 (more likely 2010).
Old 12-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Re: Gesture-driven interaction on your camera phones

Neat idea...
Old 12-05-2008, 03:00 AM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne

sounds cool lol.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:00 AM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne

and holy crap BD, a member here for like 2 months and you already have 1.2k posts. thats crazy o.o
Old 12-05-2008, 03:03 AM
Geek'n it Up
Pocket PC: xv6700 >> xv6800 >> BB Storm
Carrier: Red Devil Verizon

Lylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Lylej2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by imneveral0ne View Post
and holy crap BD, a member here for like 2 months and you already have 1.2k posts. thats crazy o.o
He's post happy some days! lol
Don't forget to hit the

Old 12-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

lol.. I have an over 20 post per day count so far...
Old 12-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD (Blackstone)
Carrier: T-Mobile US

jim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuff

I had this on my old treo 700p a few years back. Called arcade reality, found here: http://www.toyspring.com/

It was actually pretty fun/good. He was supposed to be developing quite a few things for windows mobile as well back when I contacted him over a year ago.

Don't forget to donate or say thanks!

Flashing How To for Vogue

Super cheap phones: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39267

HD or iPhone http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44839

Android on Vogue (by dzo): http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=23244
Old 12-10-2008, 03:55 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

The browser on my Instinct uses this technology. Its actually pretty sweet and works quite well.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives