PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV-6800

tisenberg is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Verizon 6800 Upgrade SUCCESS!!!

Equipment: Verizon XV6800 phone with original Radio, ROM, etc.

I tried to do the upgrade pretty much the first day it was available, I ended up with a phone rebooting over and over. I swapped it out at the verizon store since my phone was only a few days old. I decided to wait until there were some clearer instructions.

So after reading this: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=17667
And reading this: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21167

I was then good to go... worried, but willing to try it again. Still quite a few people unsuccesful or having problems, but there are ton's that got it working too.

1) I took the advice of the first post and got everything recorded (ESNs, MSID, A-Key, etc). Found out in the end that I didn't need it, but it's a good feeling to have it, because I needed it when I tried this the first time.

2) Downloaded (Per post 2) and ran Olipro unlocker http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=1538775

3) Downloaded and installed the Sprint Rom ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Titan/RUU/RUU_...CS_AM_Ship.exe

a) Made sure to not tap the screen and do the customizing once the phone was done booting.
b) Rebooted the phone and it went right back to the customize screen... I figured I'd ignore it. (it was halarious to see the Sprint boot... actually kind'a nice looking)
c) ActiveSync was happy to find a new phone and wanted to Sync with it... I ignored that message on my computer too.
4) Installed dcd 3.0.4 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=385336 =D>

I gotta tell you, it was a little nerve racking, I was worried that I was going to get stuck in a bootloader, or have a phone that reboots by itself, etc, etc, etc. The process worked PERFECTLY.

I did not have to call Verizon to program my phone =D>, the GPS worked first time with google maps and live. I did do the *228 option 2 for Roam/Tower updates.

Wireless appears to be not working, but I don't use it so it's not a big deal (for now).

I also installed a few apps
HTC Home Customization (very cool)
Blue Fire VPN
SPB Phone Suite (Missed Call Notifications!!!)
Microsoft Voice Command
I still need to track down the core Mobile games, and a fix for VC confirmation over bluetooth, I'd like to change out the dialer to one more out-of-the-box, but I am very happy that I got this working.

Oh, and I ordered the 3400Mah battery yesterday
Old 05-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Lurker

kpucummin is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to kpucummin Send a message via MSN to kpucummin Send a message via Yahoo to kpucummin
Re: Verizon 6800 Upgrade SUCCESS!!!

Whats crazy is I use to do this all the time with my 6700 but when I tried to hook my friend up with 6.0 at the time on his 6700 it was stuck in boot loader mode. Ever since then I'm scared to mess with it at all and now that I got my 6800 I'm scared to get stuck in bootloader mode. Even though the 6800 thru VZW doesnt have GPS and I want it. Also tell me on the one you installed does it come with threaded sms also?
Old 05-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV-6800
Threadstarter

tisenberg is a n00b

I too was a 6700'er who kitchen'ed regularly, that was why I jumped right in. After getting my hand slapped/burned/etc, I got very nervous about it too. I was freaking out that day. I got stuck in bootloader for about an hour then I had a phone that was going nuts and forum responses were too slow and I had no one to turn to. I think there is enough information now (and new releases of stuff) that it is significantly safer. I even soft reset my phone today to make sure I could and it worked great.

multi-threaded SMS, yes I got it, didn't know I was getting it, it's kind'a cool. I didn't think about it until you mentioned it. My daughter text messaged me a bunch of times yesterday and I noticed it was different, I figured dcd swapped it out. Seems fine to me.

As for stuck in boot loader, I think my getting stuck the first time on the previous phone was a combination of problems.

1) There is mention that some people need to reboot their computer in between 2 specific steps if you get stuck.
2) There apparently is a thing you can run to un-stick you.

I did not run into that this time... thank goodness
Old 05-06-2008, 11:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

fluidj is becoming a great contributor

I have been too afraid to hack my 6800 also.
I'll come back to this post once i get the balls though
Old 05-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

lawrencef14 is a n00b

I went ahead last week and I love it! My 6800 is faster and seems to have fixed the memory leak so when you close out programs you get back most of your memory. Also the GPS works great and yes threaded messaging works too!

Read all the info in the first post and you should be ok. I did have to call Verizon to get a new A-Key. When you upgrade the radio it messes it up and your phone won't authenticate after you go through programming...(#228? ). But I have heard others upgrade without having to get a new a-key as well...

It's definitely worth the upgrade...in my opinion...

The other thing to note is if you mess up the stock Verizon ROM is out there and you can always revert back, especially if you need to send the phone back in for warranty...

The main thing is to read a lot, I am a newb at this and got stuck a couple of times. I searched this forum and xda-developers and found answers to get unstuck...

Good luck!!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development