PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs
Carrier: Verizon

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
List of Undocumented Changes in Froyo (Android OS 2.2)

I got this from reddit so it's not my own, just thought you all would find it good info:

• you can now unblock offensive words in Google's search by voice. THANK YOU GOOGLE
  • the 3d app launch menu thing is now even more 3d and you can see - the apps go even further back
  • the comments on apps in the market let you vote up or down depending on how helpful they are
  • the home screens don't come to a screeching halt when flicking between them. now they have some elasticity ala iphone home screen switching
  • holding down the home button brings up the same app switcher menu, but now it's a fade in effect and on a different popup window, looking a lot better
  • you can now rotate the phone to the right hand side and the accelerometer will kick in. previously it would only work if tilted to the left (at least on the N1)
  • a few sites mentioned this, but you can pinch out on a photo album to view contents before selecting it, ipad-style
  • when you're in the camera app and click the photos icon it no longer goes into a special camera app version of the gallery. It just goes into the normal gallery style photo viewer. I like it.
  • finally, the "manage apps" list opens a lot faster. i used to have to go make a sandwich between the time when I clicked the option and when the list loaded, and i don't have a huge number of apps on my phone
  • the Power Control Widget now cycles through 3 levels of brightness AND automatic brightness! - via participating in the comments
  • Amazon MP3 Store has been updated and now sports a slicker, much better-looking UI
  • the video camera now has a flash mode that keeps the flash on all the time. perfect for using as a flashlight instead of using your screen
  • when leaving a call when it should be fading back to the home screen like in 2.1, in 2.2 (at least in mine) it has a black box that zooms away as the home screen zooms in. probably just a minor bug
  • the call history puts consecutive calls from/to the same number in a dropdown list instead of listing the same one twenty times if you talk to the same person a lot
  • somewhat improved google talk UI
  • you can add a sound when you unlock and lock the screens - thanks fewpeople
  • minor revisions to google calendar, more specific color bands for times, same old crappy UI
  • in the contacts list in 2.1 if you touched the icon next to a contact it came up with a little popup with different options, but most of the time (for me) it had trouble with the animated entrance. now it works perfectly, even the first time
  • when you drag the sound icon in the lock screen to go into silent mode it still turns yellow, but now has a new icon that was present in the menu bar with the phone and the vibration marks coming out
  • twitter is now integrated with the OS just like the facebook app. i don't have a twitter account and never downloaded an app, but the official app came with the OS update. i'd love to be able to uninstall both facebook and twitter.
  • holding down on a gallery photo album (or pressing the menu key) selects it, but now at the top of the screen are new buttons to "select all" or "deselect all"
  • there's now an option to play a "dock insertion/removal" sound. i love this because since the dock uses gold contacts to charge, this is an easy way to show that it is connected and charging
  • in the youtube app, to get to your favorites you go to "menu -> my account" and it will be at the very top. it used to be under my account but it was the second or third place down which was kind of annoying. still annoying you have to click three or four times to get to your favorites though
  • captions are available in YouTube. when you click "show captions" in the menu, you can even select the language you want
  • (really small) the AM or PM text next to the time is now half the height it was in 2.1. not that it matters
  • when looking at preview pics in the market, in 2.1 if you tilt the phone the accelerometer would turn the picture and make it awkward to view. now when you tilt the phone it will keep the picture the way it is and not switch it to a landscape view. this is good because some apps have landscape pics and some have portrait pics
  • if you long press on an image in the browser you get an option to set it as your wallpaper
  • Autocomplete for texting/typing also suggests punctuation now after you hit spacebar so that you don't have to long-push the period to get different punctuation (it suggests common ones like , @ . etc) - thanks annihilist
  • fixed a bug in 2.1 where if you launched an app from another home screen (let's take the one to the immediate left of the center one for example) and then pressed the home button, the dots at the bottom would reflect the screen with the app (they'd still be one on the left and three on the right, even if you were on the center screen). now they are always what they're supposed to be.
  • animate GIFs finally work in the browser! no more being on reddit is fun and seeing a static picture of a cat and wondering why it has 500 upvotes =) thanks istrebitjel
  • small revisions to the messaging app (unless my memory is wrong)
  • possible bug: in the messaging app there is a gray box next to your name where your picture should be

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion