PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 12:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

anurbanlegend is becoming a PPCGeeks regularanurbanlegend is becoming a PPCGeeks regularanurbanlegend is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sync software like ActiveSync but one that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooz View Post
This sounds exactly like MyPhone from ms.
You could even sve the file and upload it from ANY computer with an internet connection. Plus it's free.
I use MyPhone too but.... you can't specify which folders you want to backup currently. If you select the storage card, it will backup all images and stuff from other programs etc, so you end up with smilies/weather icons and more getting uploaded.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond & Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: TELUS / Verizon Wireless
Threadstarter

Devileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to Devileyezz

You know what my quirk with Easy Sync is? It resyncs EVERYTHING everytime on connect instead of seeing what's changed and doing an incremental sync rather than a full sync everytime.

Agree?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 :)

angel4b is keeping up the good workangel4b is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to angel4b

Have you checked the programs listed in this thread? I'm sure one of them should solve your problem for free.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=57130
Old 04-18-2009, 02:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

nomad_delta is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devileyezz View Post
You know what my quirk with Easy Sync is? It resyncs EVERYTHING everytime on connect instead of seeing what's changed and doing an incremental sync rather than a full sync everytime.
Agree?
Just wanted to chime in and say that I'm looking for software to do exactly this as well. It seems so ridiculous that one can't simply add additional folders to the list of locations to synchronize in Windows Mobile Device Center beyond just default "My Documents" file sync.

Most importantly, I don't want to sync everything to the internal storage on my TouchPro -- I intend to sync all my music and pictures and such, so it should go on my 16GB SD card! Why does MS even bother having a "Sync Center" if it can't actually sync anything?

I had done a Google search & found EasySync as well, I was about to download it and try it out but it sounds like it won't work for what I want either if it re-syncs everything every time whether the files have changed or not. If I put 10GB of music/pictures on my card that's going to take forever. I guess I'll download it and try it anyway just to be sure.

Quote:
Have you checked the programs listed in this thread? I'm sure one of them should solve your problem for free. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=57130
I took a look through all of those (NuevoSync, Plaxo, Dashwire, MyPhone, etc) but they all sound like Contacts/Calendar specific sync tools, or "online backup" type sync tools.

I think what we're looking for here is a simple add-on to the existing ActiveSync/WMDC that does *real* customizable file/folder synchronization over USB cable, and that can do it automatically every time you ActiveSync.

I'll keep looking & will let everyone know if I find anything useful.

--nomad_delta
Old 04-18-2009, 03:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

nomad_delta is becoming a great contributor

Well, it's not perfect, but here's what I'm using until I figure out something better / more automated:

Microsoft SyncToy 2.0
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

It's one of Microsoft's not-quite-supported unofficial "powertoy" utilities -- I've used it for other stuff before, mainly synchronizing folders on my laptops with folders on servers in various locations, external hard drives, etc.

It's incredibly straightforward: you specify a "folder pair" with "left" side and "right" side locations, and tell it whether you want action you want between each pair: sync/echo/contribute. There are basic options to include/exclude certain types of files based on wildcards and you can uncheck subfolders as needed. There's also an option to check file contents with a hash rather than the default timestamp/filesize check, if needed.

There's even a "preview" function to see what it's going to sync before you actually do it.

So here's the catch(es):

1. There's no way to schedule it or make it run automatically. You can set up as many different sync folder pairs as you like, but to get them to sync you have to open SyncToy and click the "Run All" button.

2. It doesn't seem to work with my TouchPro connected via regular ActiveSync. I can browse all the folders on my device and the SyncToy "browse" dialog sees them, but the "OK" button to select a folder is greyed out. Instead, I have to use the "File Transfer" option to connect as a storage device so my SD card shows up as a regular drive letter in My Computer. SyncToy seems to work just fine that way, but it means there's no way to sync with the device's internal storage -- only with the storage card. (In my case that's just fine, as that's what I really wanted to do anyway) This also means that if you *also* need to do a regular ActiveSync for calendar/contacts/tasks/etc, you'll have to disconnect/reconnect your device to do that. (Luckily in my case that's not necessary as I'm synchronizing everything else w/ my Exchange server wirelessly)

I'm still holding out for something that can be more readily integrated with automatic ActiveSync, but this'll do for now.

[EDIT:] Actually, I just found something in SyncToy 2.0 that I don't remember being in previous versions: a command-line version:

Code:

C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.0>SyncToyCmd.exe
Usage:     SyncToyCmd [-args]
All arguments are optional.
   -R           Run all folder pairs that are marked as Active for Run All.
   -R <name>    Run the named folder pair (only one folder pair can be specified).
   -?           Display this help.
Examples:
   SyncToyCmd -R MyFolderPair
   SyncToyCmd -R
This should help automate things a bit better, I can make different scripts and bind them to keyboard shortcuts w/ autohotkey or something. Still not ActiveSync integrated, but maybe we can figure something out on that front...

--nomad_delta

Last edited by nomad_delta; 04-18-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Devileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_delta View Post
Well, it's not perfect, but here's what I'm using until I figure out something better / more automated:

Microsoft SyncToy 2.0
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

It's one of Microsoft's not-quite-supported unofficial "powertoy" utilities -- I've used it for other stuff before, mainly synchronizing folders on my laptops with folders on servers in various locations, external hard drives, etc.

It's incredibly straightforward: you specify a "folder pair" with "left" side and "right" side locations, and tell it whether you want action you want between each pair: sync/echo/contribute. There are basic options to include/exclude certain types of files based on wildcards and you can uncheck subfolders as needed. There's also an option to check file contents with a hash rather than the default timestamp/filesize check, if needed.

There's even a "preview" function to see what it's going to sync before you actually do it.

So here's the catch(es):

1. There's no way to schedule it or make it run automatically. You can set up as many different sync folder pairs as you like, but to get them to sync you have to open SyncToy and click the "Run All" button.

2. It doesn't seem to work with my TouchPro connected via regular ActiveSync. I can browse all the folders on my device and the SyncToy "browse" dialog sees them, but the "OK" button to select a folder is greyed out. Instead, I have to use the "File Transfer" option to connect as a storage device so my SD card shows up as a regular drive letter in My Computer. SyncToy seems to work just fine that way, but it means there's no way to sync with the device's internal storage -- only with the storage card. (In my case that's just fine, as that's what I really wanted to do anyway) This also means that if you *also* need to do a regular ActiveSync for calendar/contacts/tasks/etc, you'll have to disconnect/reconnect your device to do that. (Luckily in my case that's not necessary as I'm synchronizing everything else w/ my Exchange server wirelessly)

I'm still holding out for something that can be more readily integrated with automatic ActiveSync, but this'll do for now.

[EDIT:] Actually, I just found something in SyncToy 2.0 that I don't remember being in previous versions: a command-line version:

Code:

C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.0>SyncToyCmd.exe
Usage:     SyncToyCmd [-args]
All arguments are optional.
   -R           Run all folder pairs that are marked as Active for Run All.
   -R <name>    Run the named folder pair (only one folder pair can be specified).
   -?           Display this help.
Examples:
   SyncToyCmd -R MyFolderPair
   SyncToyCmd -R
This should help automate things a bit better, I can make different scripts and bind them to keyboard shortcuts w/ autohotkey or something. Still not ActiveSync integrated, but maybe we can figure something out on that front...

--nomad_delta
I could have been wrong, or that I was really engrossed in work that I thought syncs are going on forever. EasySync has performed well in what we're looking for. It does incremental backups and linked with ActiveSync. It's automatic.

With Windows Mobile doing bigger and better things lately, it's a shame that Microsoft doesn't see any potential in selective-dir sync. I hope 6.5 release comes with a new ActiveSync as well which won't require us to go and look for other apps to do something so simple.

SyncToy with AutoHotKey, IMHO is doing a lot of things. Try out EasySync, you might not have to do all that you think you need to.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

studentjunk is keeping up the good workstudentjunk is keeping up the good work

I use MobSync, which I downloaded here. I have been using it with windows xp, and it seems to be working with vista (which I just started using a few days ago). It used to be free, but it went commercial some time ago.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srudentjunk View Post
I use MobSync, which I downloaded here. I have been using it with windows xp, and it seems to be working with vista (which I just started using a few days ago). It used to be free, but it went commercial some time ago.
Looks promising.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software