PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

chibiushi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro (RAPH800)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibiushi View Post
I swear I had Sprint TV working, It only plays sound until you pause and un-pause it. let me re-install it and check. I'LL POST MY FINDINGS

(get it... I was teasing about the caps thing)
Ok, installed Sprint TV and loading it right now, I click on a channel and it starts playing right away.

made a quick video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsM2giPK56s

Last edited by chibiushi; 02-24-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: add video link
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro - Sprint

biodtl is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjizzle711 View Post
trying to port the android on my sprint touch pro 2
First off, I believe you are in the wrong place for a Touch Pro 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjizzle711 View Post
ASKED ME TO PUT IN MY GOOGLE ACCT BUT I CANT FIND IT
Confirm that you can log in to your google account here, I had trouble with that at first, then discovered I was using the wrong password, simple mistake:

https://www.google.com/accounts/Login
Old 02-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Lurker

biodtl is a n00b

I have been running Android and playing with it for about a week and wanted to give some feedback. I have been using the 2/18 kernel with great success along with the GenY dual boot setup. Android runs for most of the day, and I reboot into windows overnight for my alarm clock, I don't trust Android to wake me up in the morning quite yet. I have not tried the more recent kernels with touch screen tweaks as I have been able to use it pretty effectively with a very light touch. Android market works well and most apps I have downloaded work fine. The auto sync with my google account is a dream compared to setting up (more like dealing with) WinMo/Exchange setups, and Blackberry syncs for other users.

There is only 1 big issue I have had so far. A handful of times in the past week I have pulled the phone out of my pocket, and not been able to get it to 'wake up'. Button presses respond with light and the backlight seems to come on, but the screen stays black. I have noticed that there is sometimes a delay of a few seconds when I press the end key and when the screen appears, but this is more than that, I have to pull the battery to solve this. The next time this happens, I will try to call the phone from a different device and see if it responds/rings. There have also been a few times where i've had to fight it to get the screen orientation to flip back to portrait from landscape, usually coming out of the market.

I am also a bit perplexed about the circular/dpad light behavior. I initially suspected it was just warning me about battery life, but now it is constantly lighting up, regardless of charge, motion, interaction. Right now, the phone is sitting on my desk with a full charge with a fresh boot, no new email, calendar events, or other notifications, and the dpad light is going through its normal cycle, which looks like the low battery notification.

In general, I am happy using this as a daily phone so far, many thanks to all involved in this project.

Last edited by biodtl; 02-24-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

skywing269 is just getting started

Pardon my ignorance, but Ive been following this thread for some time and have seen multiple references to this "GenY dual boot" set up but I cant actually find what this is all about....can someone fill me in? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (CDMA)
Carrier: US Cellular

chrialex is becoming a great contributor

Edit: Didn't notice I wasn't on the last page.

The light goes through it's routine when it is sleeping. Kinda weird, it tells you it is sleeping and saving power by using power, but that's the way it is. I have been having problems lately with it not waking up either. Haven't had a chance to test it and see what consistently causes it yet, but I am thinking it might just be related to WiFi always being on (since my CDMA data doesn't work).

Gen.Y DualBoot thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=623792

Last edited by chrialex; 02-24-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Lurker

biodtl is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywing269 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but Ive been following this thread for some time and have seen multiple references to this "GenY dual boot" set up but I cant actually find what this is all about....can someone fill me in? Thanks.
Basically, it allows you to chose whether to startup in WinMo or Android upon power on, rather than launching Android after booting WinMo.

More info here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=623792
Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 AM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by karafa View Post
For what it's worth, while it was nice having the wifi back and working, it seems that something else dealing with ipconfig prevents tethering from working. On the right track, though! Thanks for putting in the modules that you did, Makkonen.

And, for whatever reason, I'm getting serious performance drops when the phone boots with USB connected and while using ADB. It seems overall much better when I boot without USB. It also seems to charge much slower like that. I don't know if this is to be expected.. but it seems consistently slower, hotter, and less charged.

Also, I'm unable to assign contacts pictures, and the facebook sync app is supposed to sync pictures with contacts (I think), but doesn't. I get 'unsupported action' when i try to change the picture. I also can't install the gallery app.

I sound like a big complainer. Just want to help hammer out issues, I still can't thank everyone enough for making this work as well as it does.
Just had a thought -- maybe something that it's trying to do over USB for the tethering is causing the drain. I haven't noticed any undue performance drop from having USB/ADB active. Otherwise, check top, check logcat, see if anything jumps out.

I haven't noticed the facebook sync specifically, but a lot of media handling functions seem a bit half-baked in XDANDROID. Sending/selecting pictures didn't work when I was trying to play with MMS. Audio scans of the sdcard are notoriously flaky. Etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waus26 View Post
I've tried it on my other SD card, but an error keeps coming back:

3.473602 kernel BUG at kernel/workqueue.c:188!
3.479431 Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer derefere (out of screen from there on)
Sounds dire. I'm not sure what's going on. How is it that you have a CDMA phone on T-Mobile NL? I thought T-Mobile was GSM throughout Europe?

Not that that should be a problem, since this kernel is so close to the one that runs fine on GSM devices anyway. But a kernel panic that early in the boot process definitely sounds like some sort of device issue, not a setup issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodtl View Post
I have been running Android and playing with it for about a week and wanted to give some feedback. I have been using the 2/18 kernel with great success along with the GenY dual boot setup. Android runs for most of the day, and I reboot into windows overnight for my alarm clock, I don't trust Android to wake me up in the morning quite yet. I have not tried the more recent kernels with touch screen tweaks as I have been able to use it pretty effectively with a very light touch. Android market works well and most apps I have downloaded work fine. The auto sync with my google account is a dream compared to setting up (more like dealing with) WinMo/Exchange setups, and Blackberry syncs for other users.

There is only 1 big issue I have had so far. A handful of times in the past week I have pulled the phone out of my pocket, and not been able to get it to 'wake up'. Button presses respond with light and the backlight seems to come on, but the screen stays black. I have noticed that there is sometimes a delay of a few seconds when I press the end key and when the screen appears, but this is more than that, I have to pull the battery to solve this. The next time this happens, I will try to call the phone from a different device and see if it responds/rings. There have also been a few times where i've had to fight it to get the screen orientation to flip back to portrait from landscape, usually coming out of the market.

I am also a bit perplexed about the circular/dpad light behavior. I initially suspected it was just warning me about battery life, but now it is constantly lighting up, regardless of charge, motion, interaction. Right now, the phone is sitting on my desk with a full charge with a fresh boot, no new email, calendar events, or other notifications, and the dpad light is going through its normal cycle, which looks like the low battery notification.

In general, I am happy using this as a daily phone so far, many thanks to all involved in this project.
I've noticed a few different states. Button lights come on, no backlight -- bad news. Might come back in a minute or two, but is probably locked. Button lights come on, backlight comes on -- more hope. I usually turn it back off with the end call button, back on with the Power button (on top), and it comes back. Regardless, there's still a state in which it'll lock up hard from sleep and not come back. It's fairly uncommon for me, but it happens. It also randomly rebooted in the middle of the night last night... went to sleep with Android, woke up with WinMo. Good reason not to trust either of their alarm clocks.

I see Chrialex already responded, but the breathing LEDs mean that sleep/power collapse is working. You can get them not to come on by removing the LEDEffects app, but I it to be a pretty good reminder (if it's not working, you want to know, because otherwise, you'll have a dead phone on your hands in notime).

As to orientation snafus, I would turn off automatic orientation in Settings -> Sound & Display. It's too flaky to rely on. (Then again, I hate the auto-rotation in Opera in WinMo, too, so I might just be weird. I'll be trying to read in bed, with my head to the side, and it'll flip the text so I can't read it. Ugh.)
Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (Raphael 800)
Carrier: T-Mobile NL

Waus26 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
Sounds dire. I'm not sure what's going on. How is it that you have a CDMA phone on T-Mobile NL? I thought T-Mobile was GSM throughout Europe?

Not that that should be a problem, since this kernel is so close to the one that runs fine on GSM devices anyway. But a kernel panic that early in the boot process definitely sounds like some sort of device issue, not a setup issue.
Yeah, it is GSM obviously. A device issue, hmm.. That would definitely be lame.

Or is the Raph800 a different phone than the European Touch Pro? (T7272)
Old 02-24-2010, 12:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ppc-6800

peterm20 is keeping up the good workpeterm20 is keeping up the good work

Quote:

Should be different. Well radio wise anyway. If you don't get the radio to come on then you should try using the latest kernel. I remember reading the CDMA/GSM kernel trees have been merged.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:46 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:

Yes, I believe yours is a Raph100 or Raph300. The problem isn't the kernel, most likely, but the startup.txt file, which is trying to convince your device it's something it's not.

Try the main package from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=601751

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux