PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Wiredengineer
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Acer Iconia Tab!
Carrier: Sprint

PropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Why use SPB Mobile shell with custom roms out?

I am using 3.5.1 on a 6.5 rom also (JDs rom). I tried using 6.5.3 and there seems to be a conflict with the new lower start menu and the shell, doesn't work.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: None

quickstang is keeping up the good workquickstang is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Here is what my screen looks like....

I as well have this question of...Why upgrade the ROM when Mobile shell is installed?

I think that custom ROMS may also give you updates of WM as well.

If there is a better reason to upgrade, it would be nice to know.

If the phone works better, programs are updated, etc etc...OK But if its just upgraded Manila then why bother?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen001.jpg (314.3 KB, 133 views) Click for barcode!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: RazrMaxx
Carrier: vzw

cbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I run both so I can switch between them when I want.(tf3d+MS). I think it has not to do with 6.1 or 6.5, but more what functionality your seeking. Lots of folks swear by 6.5 as being the current ultimate thing. I've tried several cooked and find myself coming back to 6.1 and mobile shell as my preferred ui. One really needs tp try em out for yourself to see what works for you. Verizon really hit a homerun this time around with their stock rom. IMHO MS runs circles around manila for functionality and even eyecandy with all the tweaks available.

Last edited by cbreze; 12-07-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
n8n
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: USCC

n8n is a n00b

For those of you who have run SPB both with and without a custom ROM, can you please comment on the following:

*Stability with/without custom ROM of choice
*Performance with/without custom ROM of choice
*Custom ROM of choice
Old 12-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: RazrMaxx
Carrier: vzw

cbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8n View Post
For those of you who have run SPB both with and without a custom ROM, can you please comment on the following:

*Stability with/without custom ROM of choice
*Performance with/without custom ROM of choice
*Custom ROM of choice
It sounds like you have not tried ms(Iassume since all the questions) even tho there is a 15 day trial period, after which there is a 30 day refund period no questions asked.
Your best bet is to see for yourself. You could ask 10 diff people and get 10 diff opinions none of which would make a diff to you if you don't like it. I can tell you from my own experience and I've had ms since it was first released and seen it thru several upgrades. It is one very , very slick app. I've used it on the stock rom(verizon)and on about a dozen cooked roms(TP2). Counting gsm devices then about 30. They all worked fine with it, no issues. The current incarnation of mobile shell is very stable and it doesn't freeze. I find the tf3d more trouble and laggy actually. The first release of 3.0 was a bit unstable actually, but they came back with upgrades that have far surpassed my expectations and needs. There is numerous options to make your ui a customized dream on your tp2. Mskip's ms tweak cabs are a real treat and full of even more options. His elegance cab is pure gold for the ms ui.
I go back to tf3d(sense) occasionally only to miss the ms right quick. Some will read this and not agree and prefer the sense ui, which is fine and very slick in itself. To each their own, but just try mobile shell and you won't look back. FREE TRIAL! after all. Whats to lose?

Last edited by cbreze; 12-07-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

BOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I switch back and forth between MS and TF3D. You get tired of 1 you switch to the other. I use to use mskips themes for MS but have since switcd to HTC Pure Style found here:
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/B...topic%3D3122.0
I also have stock 6.1 sprint rom and use S2W's themes found here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91156

BOO B)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 PM
n8n
Lurker
Carrier: USCC

n8n is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
It sounds like you have not tried ms(Iassume since all the questions) even tho there is a 15 day trial period, after which there is a 30 day refund period no questions asked.
Your best bet is to see for yourself. You could ask 10 diff people and get 10 diff opinions none of which would make a diff to you if you don't like it. I can tell you from my own experience and I've had ms since it was first released and seen it thru several upgrades. It is one very , very slick app. I've used it on the stock rom(verizon)and on about a dozen cooked roms(TP2). Counting gsm devices then about 30. They all worked fine with it, no issues. The current incarnation of mobile shell is very stable and it doesn't freeze. I find the tf3d more trouble and laggy actually. The first release of 3.0 was a bit unstable actually, but they came back with upgrades that have far surpassed my expectations and needs. There is numerous options to make your ui a customized dream on your tp2. Mskip's ms tweak cabs are a real treat and full of even more options. His elegance cab is pure gold for the ms ui.
I go back to tf3d(sense) occasionally only to miss the ms right quick. Some will read this and not agree and prefer the sense ui, which is fine and very slick in itself. To each their own, but just try mobile shell and you won't look back. FREE TRIAL! after all. Whats to lose?

Thanks cbreze,

I have not yet tried MS. I'm returning to the WinMo world with a TP2 after a few years on BB. WinMo now seems sluggish relatively.

I don't need all the eye-candy of the sense UI, particularly if I can trade that for performance and customization. I've been aware of MS since my days of yore with a Treo 700p, although I never tried it.

I feel that with today's hardware, there is plenty of system resources to make it fly and MS is likely the best option to get me the performance I want.

So my question is not really to MS or not to MS, I will in fact try it and most likely make it my default.

The question is really, do I use a custom ROM underneath to enhance MS stability/performance.

All the gee-wiz performance hog crapware and UI drives me crazy. I want speed and flexibility, and will sacrifice all the animations for them.

I have a few killer apps that I'd like to include in a core ROM, and I'm wondering if its worth the trouble of getting into ROM flashing, or whether I should just install on my stock ROM add MS and my killer apps.

Hence the question I posted, soliciting responses from MS users who have used with and without custom ROMs.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

nomaxtech is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to nomaxtech

Quote:
The question is really, do I use a custom ROM underneath to enhance MS stability/performance.

All the gee-wiz performance hog crapware and UI drives me crazy. I want speed and flexibility, and will sacrifice all the animations for them.

I have a few killer apps that I'd like to include in a core ROM, and I'm wondering if its worth the trouble of getting into ROM flashing, or whether I should just install on my stock ROM add MS and my killer apps.

Hence the question I posted, soliciting responses from MS users who have used with and without custom ROMs.

Thanks
I have used both stock and custom roms. Custom roms are 'cool' and and all, having neat applications already there after a hard reset, and some of them have nice looking visuals, but really, stock does just fine. I got sick of having to reflash every couple of days because of updates and bug fixes. The stock roms went through serious testing before they were released and usually stand up to the test of time. (I mean, damn, look how anxious we all are for an official 6.5 to be released and these chefs are popping them out twice a week (no offense you guys, you do great work with what tools you do have and have taught me a lot, thank you) ) You can have your app cooked in the rom or just install it after the reset. No big difference either way.

I do want to add that I used the Touch Pro 2 cleanup cab offered in this forum as a sticky. I think it does a great job stripping the stock rom down and it's damn fast afterward. Even with MS 3.5 and all its animations and clear glass and 3D effects.

I have a Sprint TP2. Not sure what's up with the Verizon stock rom.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

mprezive is a n00b

Hey everyone, I'm new here and I just gave mobile shell 3.5 a try (using the trial now). I am not a huge fan of paying for software, but I'm highly considering paying for this It is smooth, I can custimize everything, and it is easy to use. There are some downfalls (bugs), but they are minimal and aren't really a huge deal.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6850
Carrier: Verizon

jasoraso is just getting started

Quote:
Thanks cbreze,

Thanks
One of the benefits of a custom ROM is that they are now based off the USCC 6.5 rom which included some fixes that Verizon and Sprint need - i.e. Bluetooth now works as it should with the ROMS's based on the USCC ROM ...

But I guess n8n is already on USCC so he may not see that benefit

(On my TP1, I used MS, but with my TP2, I've finally come to like TF3D ... but with this talk of MS, I think I might try it again

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2