PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 02:14 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How is the TP2 faster that the TP?

I thought we had a huge debate on the subject matter back in the TP days and came to a conclusion: It's the graphics (rendering) performance that slows the whole thing down, while HTC knew about it but just too cheap to pay Qualcomm to license them the qTV, or whatever rendering technology into their builds of the OS.

Here's some raw test from my end with Sling Player:
- On the TP, OEM ROM, non-full screen GDI rendering, average at 10 fps; full screen, average 8 fps.
- On the TP2, OEM ROM, non-full screen GDI render, average, (hold your breath) ... TWO, yes, 2 FPS. It's a SLIDE SHOW, frame-by-frame. Full-screen? About 0.5 FPS if you ask me.

They are tested from the SAME geographic location, with very good signal and 2mbps upstream on the source. As matter of fact the SlingPlayer test was the first thing I did as soon as I before and after the ESN swap between the TP and TP2 on Sprint.

On the side note, Silent's latest 6.5 ROM for the Sprint TP, SlingPlayer performed VERY well on both non-full screen and full screen, at average of 25-30 FPS. Now what 2D Driver he used in there that I have NO idea but all I can tell is, that built of ROM has a very good 2D Rendering performance, the whole ROM he built is the fastest 6.5 I've used on the Sprint TP.

So am I happy with the TP2? Honestly, yes I am. Bigger screen, certain improved apps like TF3D and better battery performance, it's justified for me to pay full retail and do the upgrade. Oh yes, I get to keep the SERO as well.

Just my nickel (adjusted to inflation) on this subject. And I hope down the road, when we figure out the HardSPL unlocker, and flash some awesome ROMs our chefs provide, I am sure we'll think otherwise.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Deggree is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Deggree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exil3d View Post
You are missing the point. 3d accelaration does not exisat on the phone. TF3D feels snappier cuz its been rewritten to a moree optimized performance. Everything else will feel the same. Look at the vids.. look at all the vids and judge it yourself. I think you have a bias opinion and you wWANT it to be better but I dont blame you.I wish it was better.. but I wont fall sucker to the whole 3d Drivewr fiasco.

Yup, a step backwards. At least since HTC puts in a older CPU for gods sake give us 3d accelaration!

Yup even those are terrible. They are a bit better but nothi9ng to jump in joy about. Again.. all the people who really want to see how different and better the Pro 2 is just go youtube the Pro 2 videos and see for yourself. Trust me.. I want to get one but I ahave seen pretty much all the vids out there and one thing i saw in common was jow similar 2d and specialy 3d was being rendered. The last nail in the coffin for me was when I saw TOm TOm run at 4 FPS. LOL! thatw as enough for me. Only way I will get the PRO 2 is if they give it for free.

Ok here's my thing I understand what ur saying about the Drivers and acceleration and u seem to know what ur talking about in that reguard. BUT, your reasoning is Sooooo flawed. for one, the vast majority (not all) of the YOUTUBE video's showcasing the TP2 are not final product versions. I saw one guy say he wasn't getting it cuz the phone didn't come with anything other than the charger and he posted a youtube link with an unboxing vid. In the video the guy never ONCE said he PURCHASED his device. My point is, with these reviews it's just that, a review. Alot of those phones are not in final stages. Now b4 I get bashed obviously there are some vid's of retail TP2's like for T-Mobile and Tel. I personally went into a T-Mobile store the day the device was realeased and gave it a good 3 hour run. My initial thoughts we're ****ing wow good job HTC. In your case your trying to tell people that a phone they have proven to perform better than the TP is still not a better phone due to something it's laking hardware wise. Problem is the original TP didn't have these components either, which in that case the only basis of comparison u have is what the phones DO have not what they DON'T! That bein said, if the TP2 is optimized for TF3D and it runs smoother and more stable then yes in the hands and minds of the consumer it is in fact a BETTER/UPGRADED experience. In conclusion I think that it's injust to try to convince people that the TP2 is NOT a better device due to lack of components but more appropriate to state your disregaurd for the device due to the fact that it lacks ceartain elements that you feel would make it an even BETTER Device/Experience than it already is. No one is perfect no thing is perfect if the phone had all the drivers and accelerators and processors u mentioned I'm sure u could still find something wrong with it. Bottom line is people are satisfied with the changes that have been made if your not it's cool but let us love our upgrade in peace LOL.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Deggree is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Deggree

I'd like to make a comment on Battery life in general and this is from personal experience...I'ma power user when I'm not on my laptop I treat my TP like it's a cpu. I live in the hills in Sherman Oaks CA and my signal (sprint) that is is crap. Now if I fully charge my phone and leave it of the charger b4 I got to sleep by morning it's dead. But if I leave my house with a full charge it goes all day with juice left to spare. And do you know whyyyyyyyy.....It's not screen brightness or data usage or any of the other stuff I see people talking about when it comes to battery life. It's because my phone is constantly working trying to find a signal at my house in and out in and out searching....not only does it KILL my battery but it microwaves it! when I'm out and about where I have decent to good service it doesn't heat up like that. My point is I've heard alot of people say or assume the TP2 has or is going to have crappy battery life but I ran that thing in a T-Mobile store 4 about 3.5 hours straight GPS BT it was hooked to there WiFi HotSpot and the whole 9 and not only did the life only drain about 15-20% but it was barely warm. Moral of the story is if your batt life sucks beyond belief and you've done all the fixes and short cuts you can. Ask yourself am I getting good service in the places where my phone spends the most time? cuz if you aren't your device is working overtime tryna get you some and that KILLS BATTERY LIFE! and that's my 2 cents LOL

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2