Old 05-27-2008, 05:53 PM
eternalmycah
Lurker

eternalmycah is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Solution

Quick Answer:
You need to program your phone (*228, option 1)

Detailed Answer:
When you receive a new phone or (sometimes) after hard-resetting your phone you will need to dial:

*228, send, option 1

...to reprogram you phone. This programming is through the Verizon network (ie - you are making a phone call to do this and programming over the air) and should set the username and password for you.

My FULL recommendations if you still have problems:
  1. Backup any data from your phone (pics, files, etc)
  2. Hard-reset your phone. A hard-reset will essentially reload the OS and set your phone to factory default settings (like you just took it out of the box). You will need to check your manual or Google etc. to find out how to do this.
    • Treo: While holding the red End button, press and release the reset button (under the battery cover ...use your stylus), you will then see some red text on the screen asking if you are sure you want to proceed, your call.
    • XV6800: (a little tricky) hold both soft-key buttons (the ones with the white dot) and press and release the reset button on the bottom of the phone (use your stylus).
  3. Reprogram your phone: Dial *228, press Send, choose Option_1 when prompted. You will see a message letting you know if this was successful.
  4. Assuming your account has data enabled, you should now be able to connect. Although you may want to verify the username and password others have mentioned if it still doesn't work.
  5. If it's still not working, you will need to contact Verizon since you probably have a hardware problem (or a software problem that you aren't going to be able to fix). Basically if it's still not working, you are probably just wasting your time now, so call Verizon.
NOTE: I know for a fact that the support techs don't always know what they are doing. Basically their answer is always to replace the phone (probably at your own expense) if they can't figure it out. This works fine if your phone is still under warranty or you have it insured. For those of you who would have to pay for it yourself, I'd check to see if there is a newer version of the software for your phone and get that installed (either on your own or at the local store). I know that the Treos have updates to install that you can do on your own if you are willing.