View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM
cflynt
VIP Member

cflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2 Rhodium Updated 5-20-2010

Android for CDMA Touch Pro 2 Rhodium (RHOD400/RHOD500)

I aplogize everyone, work has just been crazy lately and I just haven't had time to keep up with anything let alone normal day to day stuff. I have asked that Reefermattness's thread be stickied, he seems to definitely have lots more time to keep you guys updated and has worked hard on a great script to keep the Kernel etc updated for you. I suggest you start using his, but mine is still here for those that want to continue discussion. I will be peeping in as I can and will update as I can but I think Reefer can keep you better informed. I am sorry, I know another thread is the last thing you want heh, but it was bound to happen.

Follow his thread in the stickies, here is a link:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=114400

Thanks for all your patience everyone!

We decided to go ahead and restart this thread so that maybe we can keep things more updated. I myself have a more than full-time job and large family, so my time here is in and out all the time, but I definitely am here often. And I know there are some other contributors that are here much more that should be able to help with questions and such.

This is NOT just a Development thread. The original thread wasn't meant just for development either. I don't know where that started. But it is here so that people that want to try something new can. And hopefully we can keep things updated as to the new things that are happening with it etc. So feel free to post questions, I no doubt won't know all of the answers, but hopefully other people browsing the forum might. As well as PLEASE check the 2nd Post for the FAQ. There are questions that get asked over and over, and most of them get put in the FAQ if you just look. If you need me to modify the Question/Answer to better explain, please let me know. Other than that. ENJOY IT!

Note: This is work in progress. If you don't like it, figure it out on your own or read a different thread!

Note: I own a Sprint Touch Pro 2, currently till Supersonic comes out heh. So I really can only tell things that I know from first hand. But others own other Carriers, and hopefully can help contribute, and we can have an informative thread for all versions of CDMA Rhodium. In time, hopefully we can have an all in one GSM/CDMA thread. Once more things are merged together. Lots of stuff in here has been duplicated from other threads out there to try and give you proper information. Thanks to all those Ops for their information.

First things first. Let it be known there are tons of Developers that have made what we have available to us today happen. I am not a developer myself, I am a tinkerer, you know from Tinker Bell! So I take no credit for anything you find in here. There might be times I will update something for you and make it available to you when you wouldn't be able to get it otherwise, that is tinkering! I am not the brains behind the scene. So you need to definitely thank the many developers who all I am sure I won't mention, but to name a few:

phhusson, enatefox, dzo, zenulator, Chamonix, Stinebd, Makkonen, MrPippy, cr2, Markinus, Babijoe, Reefermattness, DracoLX, kstephens98, elroy944, davidebeatrice, chkms, eval-, 95Civic and anyone else who contribute to get this so far. There are tons more no doubt. These are names I have dealt with among ones that I have heard about.

Links will be in the 2nd Post to other threads of importance. Not that I might miss some, so don't feel bad. If I/and or anyone feels I should link a thread in here, by all means let me know.

Installation Changelog
2010-05-20: Gave link to Reefermattness's thread and just updated odd and ends.
2010-05-20: Updated GPS Status
2010-04-20: Updated charging status
2010-04-05: Updated support for Rhodium 500 Keymapping
2010-03-31: Updated link to newer XDAndroid build.
2010-03-31: The special CDMA RIL Changes we needed for CDMA Rhodiums has now been merged with the Autobuild Rootfs.img, so now we all use the same rootfs! Thanks MrPippy!
2010-03-23: Start of New Thread
2010-03-22: Updated USC data issues. Seems there is a fix now.
2010-03-20: Updated rootfs for support of Wifi Tethering.
2010-03-09: Updated rootfs to fix arrow key mapping.
2010-03-08: Updated startup.txt to fix g-sensor and virtual keyboard issues.
2010-03-07: New version of the RIL: should be more reliable (i.e. not booting into Airplane mode as often), and Market now works! Also thanks to NeoMatrixJR, some keymap fixes

Feature Status

What's Working
  • Vibration
  • Touchscreen
  • GPS Somewhat
  • Navigation buttons, refer to the FAQ for details
  • CDMA Radio: Phone calls, SMS
  • CDMA Data: Sprint and Verizon for sure. USCC needs a workaround for now, refer to the FAQ. Others I haven't gotten latest reports on.
  • Earpiece/mic (only for phone calls)
  • WiFi (Networks with WEP encryption do not work, unprotected and WPA networks are fine)
  • Hardware Keyboard, works for most all devices
  • Backlight control: turn off auto-dimming in WinMo if you want it to work
  • Market
  • Charging for the most part. Battery meter and temp readings not 100%
Semi-Working
  • Battery status, the battery meter is working but the calculations aren't proper. So it will show a status but won't be 100% proper by any means.
  • Power management: Definitely a work in progress, don't expect more than maybe 8 hours on a charge.
  • Charging, with latest kernel, they have updated the vbus settings to see power applied and show proper charging status. As mentioned though the meter isn't 100% so I don't know that it will shut off charging so don't leave hooked up for extended periods would be my recommendation.
  • GSensor. Works fine for games, but for standard desktop usage it is quirky, so best to disable Auto Rotation, refer to FAQ. But it will always rotate for you when you slide the keyboard open, so no loss.
  • Hardware 3D accel, iffy, but does work, but does cause some things not to. Refer to FAQ for how to enable.
  • GPS works for the most part but is a little unstable currently but progress is constantly being made.
Not Working Currently
  • External Speaker Sound (music, ringtones, etc.)
  • Full Speakerphone, External Speaker works in-call but Mice doesn't currently
  • Bluetooth
  • Camera
  • USB Mass Storage
  • MMS, at least that I have heard, I haven't tried myself.
  • Proper battery meter, it won't show you your battery life properly as mentioned above. Work in progress.
  • Proper charging, again, as mentioned above, works, but wouldn't trust leaving plugged in till the meter is functioning properly.
  • Battery temperature readings. Not calculated properly just yet.
Just because something isn't listed here doesn't mean it doesn't or does work. These are things I have found myself as well as known from other threads and forums. As I know more it will be updated. And things are being worked on all the time.

Instructions to get you started

• Refer to Post #3 for Mackie's all in one zips for you if you want a hopefully all in one updated package.
  • First you need an Android Build. Download babijoee's latest XDANDROID stable release, which is based on 2.01 Eclair and unzip it to the root of your SD card.
  • Next, I recommend you delete the zImage and modules files that are part of that release and update to the latest explained next.
  • Download the Latest Kernel Package from Glemsom's Kernel Autobuild Site. Download by clicking on the Package Icon and then Unzip the Tar file, 7-zip in windows can do this as well as WinRAR. Rename zImage.xxxxxxxxx to just zImage with no extension, and put zImage and the modules file untouched in the root of your storage card.
  • Download the Latest rootfs from the XDAndroid Eclair rootfs Build Service. Unzip it and rename it to just "rootfs.img" and replace the one on your Storage Card.
  • Download the Latest initrd.gz from the XDAndroid Eclair initramfs Build Service. This one, DON'T unzip, just rename to "initrd.gz" and replace the one on your Storage Card.
  • Download the startup.txt attached to this post, and copy it into the root of your SD card. This should get you started with some basic options. Refer to the FAQ for other options you can add. This by default is setup for Sprint Rhodium Keyboard (Rhodium 400), If you want a Rhodium 500 Keymapping make sure to edit the startup.txt and change physkeyboard=rhod500 ie. for Verizon's mapping.
  • From Windows Mobile, use File Explorer, navigate to the Storage Card and run HaRET.exe to boot Android.
MrPippy and 95Civic are who started getting CDMA working for us. No doubt that others have contributed in many ways. But it was requested that we keep the donation links up for MrPippy to help him in rough times. And being as he got us to the current spot, I feel it is definitely in order:

Quote from MrPippy
Quote:
I do accept donations (and would also be very grateful for any computer engineering job leads in San Diego/SoCal), but remember there are many other people who have gotten HTC Linux to this point: phh, cr2, makkonen, dzo, and others
Attached Files
File Type: txt startup.txt (259 Bytes, 5094 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by cflynt; 05-20-2010 at 02:10 PM.
This post has been thanked 110 times.