View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Eschelon
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustusIV View Post
I am not exactly sure how to read the webpage http://glemsom.anapnea.net/android/htc-msm-android/. I see comments below and it looks like 4 or 5 different builds. What exactly am i looking at?
The page looks intimidating, but it's actually quite straight-forward. Here's a quick guide on how to navigate it:

Each new updated kernel is timestamped on the left column so that you can tell when it was last updated. Sometimes they update half a dozen times or more a day so it's not necessary to test ever single kernel as it comes out. Unless you want to, of course...

To see the changelog (i.e. what's different/new/fixed about the newest kernel), place your mouse over the button listed under 'Build Log' and a screen will pop up that will allow you to read the changes. Usually it's only one change at a time and many of them are not even related to the Rhodium (a.k.a. Touch Pro2)

In the column further to the right are user comments from those who have tested that particular kernel. At the top of their comment it shows which phone they were using since these kernels are generally phone independent. So, for example, someone with a Diamond will list something like "##DIAM100##" followed by their results with that particular kernel, but that doesn't mean that that kernel is incompatible with your particular device so you can still use it. Pay close attention, though, to any user comments with the word "RHOD" in the title of their comment as this is someone who has specifically tested that kernel on the TP2

Sometimes a lot of comments are made, in which case you just place your mouse over the "..." at the end of that kernel's comment section and it will open a new popup window again with all comments showing. If the text is so long that it can't fit on the page, leave your mouse exactly where it is and use the arrow keys on your keyboard to scroll down. If you move your mouse, you'll lose the popup window

The votes on the far right are where users have reported if the build is stable or not

To download a kernel, simply click the button under 'Package' and then replace the zImage and module files on your phone. Be sure to rename the zImage file to exactly that (i.e. 'zImage' without the quotes - remove the rest of the stuff)

Porting an entire OS is very much not a scientific process. It's a lot of trial and error so a new build is not ALWAYS better than an old one. Sometimes newer builds break stuff. For example, the latest build currently listed as I write this won't even boot up past the splash screen for Diamond users, even though the build just before it worked fine. So play around with it and if something breaks, just restore the zImage and modules from a previous build that works correctly
This post has been thanked 14 times.