Old 01-28-2010, 11:07 AM
zimmy6996
Lurker

zimmy6996 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
** fix for animated mms messages **

** FIX MMS TO ALLOW ANIMATED MMS MESSAGES AND SOUND **

(THANKS GO OUT TO A RANGE OF PEOPLE FOR THIS ... VIN, MIGHTYMIKE, AND WHO KNOWS WHO ELSE ACTUALLY HELPED IN THIS, BUT THANK YOU ALL!)

This currently applies to both V1 and V2 of NEODIUM. My guess is that Vin will eventually add this to the current ROM, but until then ...

Basically what we found is that the original ArcSoft MMS package in the stock Sprint ROM (which is the one that is currently used in V1 and V2) doesn't allow for animated MMS, and some people have reported issues with sound attachments.

In my playing with MightyROM, which is more of a Multi Carrier ROM, I found that the ROM itself didn't have MMS pre-installed. You had to install an add-on CAB in order to get MMS working for Sprint (or whatever carrier for that matter). They link a file called MMS_Sprint_5_0_94_128c_10M.cab which turns out to be ArchSoft MMS v5.0.94.128 already provisioned for Sprint. I found that this CAB worked perfectly with MightyROM for MMS. Of course, at this point, I didn't realize that the stock MMS never worked properly because I actually starting running custom ROMS for day 1 on my TP2.

Which brings us to NEODIUM ... I found that animated MMS was not working in here. At first I thought it was something specific to V2, but after investigating, it apparently has been like that in all NEODIUM roms. After further discussions with VIN, I we concluded that the stock ArcSoft MMS program (which is the one that VIN is currently using) didn't even work correctly for animated MMS in stock Sprint ROMs. After talking with VIN, he gave me a procedure to install the custom MMS CAB to test if it resolved the problems, and I am happy to say, that it does. So at this point, you can install this patch, and it will fix animated MMS until such time that Vin might have the time to correctly cook this stock in to his ROM. So without further waiting ...

1) Download the updated MMS CAB file MMS_Sprint_5_0_94_128c_10M.cab from the end of this post, can copy to your storage card.

2) Soft reset your NEODIUM V1 or V2 install, so you are at a fresh boot.

3) Run the HTC task manager. (Start -> Tools -> Task Mgr)

4) Close the process tmail.exe

5) Start File Explorer and run the CAB file to install it.

6) Phone will soft reset once installed.

That is all you need to do to get this package installed. Once you reboot, you will find that you can receive animated MMS attachments and sounds. There is one further step I recommend taking on this however. This package when installed, defaults your MMS application to "Manual" for downloading MMS attachments. This means that when someone sends an MMS, you will get a notice that you have a message, but when you click it, you will be required to hit download to actually get the attachment. Normally the stock application has this option set to "Auto" so when someone sends and MMS, it just downloads it so when you get the alert you already have the MMS. That said, in order to make this change ...

1) Open your SMS / MMS application.

2) Hit Menu

3) Hit Pics/Video Options ...

4) Change the "Retrieval mode" option to "Auto"

5) Hit OK

YOU'RE DONE! ENJOY YOUR ANIMATED MMS ATTACHMENTS! (Make sure you send copies of the bouncing boobs over to me, okay?!?!?!?! )

-Zimmy6996
Attached Files
File Type: cab MMS_Sprint_5_0_94_128c_10M.cab (4.52 MB, 260 views) Click for barcode!
This post has been thanked 3 times.