View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 07:04 PM
computhug
N00b

computhug is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro (RAPH800) - PRE-ALPHA (not yet usable)

Touchscreen calibration

After applying the latest XDAndroid and Makkonen's updates, I had some issues with my touchscreen. I tried the provided eclair.user.conf as well as the coordinates given by karafa, but my screen alignment was still rather off. So I took a shot in the dark that actually gave me very good results. Figured others might find this useful, FWIW here's what I did:

I calibrated my screen in Windows Mobile and pulled the coordinate data from the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH]
"CalibrationData"="497,527 800,843 798,205 203,209 204,841"

These correspond to the following points on the screen (in the order they appear when performing a WinMo screen align:
497,527 = center
800,843 = upper left
798,205 = lower left
203,209 = lower right
204,841 = upper right

I reshuffled these into the order that Android reads them, per Makkonen's earlier post:
800,843 = upper left
204,841 = upper right
497,527 = center
798,205 = lower left
203,209 = lower right

Finally, I updated eclair.user.conf with my new numbers as follows:
echo 800,843,204,841,497,527,798,205,203,209 > /sys/class/input/input3/calibration_points

Using this calibration data, my screen alignment in Android has been flawless. For example, I have no problems with the 'P' key on the soft keyboard. Using the Notification and App sliders is a breeze, as is moving between homescreens and general scrolling.

Some other random observations on the 1/16 build: sound not working for me either, but overall stability seems improved. Nothing specific I can point to there, other than not having a spontanious reboot so far after an hour of playing around, just my impression. Oh, and the Power Off function actually shut down my phone correctly! That's a first since I've been using the Eclair builds, previously it would always crash/hang when shutting down. It may not have been hurting anything, but but I feel better that I no longer have to soft reset to get out of Android.

BIG BIG UPS to Makkonen & the XDAndroid team, this just keeps getting better!

EDIT: Please note that the calibration data I used was specifically from my phone's screen alignment in Windows Mobile. My Touch Pro's screen is dinged, scratched and generally not well cared for - that could easily skew my calibration numbers from the 'norm'. I wouldn't suggest using my numbers, if anyone else actually tries this you should instead do a WinMo screen align on your own device and use the numbers from your registry. Just an extra 2 cents.

Last edited by computhug; 01-17-2010 at 07:19 PM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.