PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 09:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

aximtreo is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Samsung Omnia reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
You sound like me with coverage....live in Syracuse + travel to NJ!!! (and from your ID, we both work in the medical field) I haven't traveled with this yet, but so far the signal strength seems pretty good, certainly as good, if not better than any phone/PPC I have used!!!

Call quality seems pretty good from both ends, very loud at times!! For speaker, it isn' the best, but if you turn the volume down a bit, it is definitly workable!!

I haven't used VZNAV, but thanks for this link...I read it, and can tell you I have NOT been able to get GoogleMaps to connect with GPS at all yet!!!!

I can't speak in direct comparison with the devices you mentioned, but in the past couple days it seems to have a pretty good battery life. I have only had light call/text days because of the holidays, but I will keep my eye on it!!!

I did get Google maps to work by using my Freedom 2000 GPS receiver with the following settings, Com 2 Baud rate 4800. The catch is you can only connect using the broadband connection. I guess that's one benefit to having to have the datapan..
Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aximtreo View Post
I did get Google maps to work by using my Freedom 2000 GPS receiver with the following settings, Com 2 Baud rate 4800. The catch is you can only connect using the broadband connection. I guess that's one benefit to having to have the datapan..
'Freedom 2000 GPS receiver'? Is that like a BT GPD dongle?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

ckeegan is keeping up the good workckeegan is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwonish View Post
They aren't allowed to sell or touch the units in the store until Dec 8. Right now, the only release of the device is through online sales or telesales. Go back next monday and they should be willing to help...
It's just weird since the retention dept at Verizon told me which store had them in stock, and told me to go to that store. Not a big deal though, since my Omnia will be here in a few hours.

Two hopes:

1. It works with the bluetooth in my Altima.
2. Not a huge pain to type compared to my XV6800.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 AM
VIP Member

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post

Two hopes:

1. It works with the bluetooth in my Altima.
I have had no problem connecting a few different BT itema already in my testing...a few headsets and a Tom Tom so I would be optimistic!!!!

Quote:
2. Not a huge pain to type compared to my XV6800.
The typing takes getting used to, but I just installed SPB Keyboard last night, and it is like the iphone keypad....bigger buttons and the letter immage showing but not being typed until you release, so I really think that is the way to go for those of us with large fingers!!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
I have had no problem connecting a few different BT itema already in my testing...a few headsets and a Tom Tom so I would be optimistic!!!!
Unfortunately all the HTC devices out right now, which run WM6.1, can connect to pretty much everything except Nissan/Infiniti vehicles. From my findings and discussions with HTC and Microsoft, it seems that HTC implemented Microsoft's Bluetooth stack, as opposed to the Widcomm stack used in other WM6 devices.

Long story short, the i760 worked, so my hopes are up for the Omnia. I'll post a review a few hours after I get, and have had time to mess with it.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:39 PM
VIP Member

Cool...good luck and feel free to post any questions...I still have a few, but I have also learned a lot of answers in the past few days LOL!!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

The Samsung Omnia DOES NOT work with the 2008 Nissan Altima (w/ nav), and therefore is unlikely to work with the Infiniti G35, or G37.

This means that every single WM6 or WM6.1 device will not work with these vehicles.

So pissed.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible

petewill is a n00b

Quote:
Interesting outcome. I spoke to customer service before going to the store, they told me which of the 3 local stores had them.
What number did you call? I have tried calling *611 a couple of times and they won't tell me anything! I actually am looking for the Touch Pro around the Phoenix area. No stores seem to have them!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by petewill View Post
What number did you call? I have tried calling *611 a couple of times and they won't tell me anything! I actually am looking for the Touch Pro around the Phoenix area. No stores seem to have them!
I actually called 800-922-0204, but when I told them I was thinking about switching to AT&T, they were more than happy to give me the information I wanted.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900, TP, Touch Pro 2, HTC Incredible

Timeband is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrumo View Post
Battery life Omnia 5 vs XV-6900 7 I always forget to turn off Omnia's WIFI
Any update on the battery life with WiFi off?

The battery life on the Vogue CDMA (6900) is poor. If the Battery life on the Omnia is worse it would really give me pause.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia