PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Omnia II (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Do you think omnia 2 is losing its hype?? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93228)

vrzsuxppcrocks 10-28-2009 11:47 PM

Do you think omnia 2 is losing its hype??

Samsung and Verizon has kept us all waiting for too long already. We have read on different realiable sources that the release date was due months ago but it's always delayed. I read some article I forgot the source, but the realese might be on novenber 1st but it's not solid. What does this mean; that samsung is trying to make us wait for longer time?Well I feel like Omnia 2 is is becoming OLD. I mean new phone and with similar or even better features might be released maybe before omnia 2 releases. I know dell is coming with a new phone thast has even larger screen and similar features..SO what do you think. Omnia 2 is becomning a thing of the past? what do you think PPCGEEKS community??

nerdherd 10-29-2009 12:36 AM

Re: Do you think omnia 2 is losing its hype??

Yes, it most certainly is losing the hype. I've gotten so frustrated waiting for some news of it that I've turned to looking at other phones, like the Droid...With other newer phones coming out soon based on better processors I think that unless it is released really soon it's not going to offer much in comparison.

Hoss 10-29-2009 09:29 AM

I am content with my Omnia (special thanks to BW for this), just waiting on the holiday market timed releases and will make a choice. I travel to Asia and own a GSM phone with Vodaphone's service for this since CDMA is not all that useful in many places and VZW hasn't been renewing all roaming agreements there lately. If the Omnia II turns out to be with GSM & CDMA I will jump for it otherwise will likely take the path of using Omnia I until a global phone (Imagio maybe) gets me.

loosfinest 10-29-2009 10:03 AM

Windows Mobile Is loosing its Hype. they have years of making, and catching up to do. and it seems that they are always behind. WM6.5 is about 3 years behind.

mark elmore 10-29-2009 12:15 PM

Wirelessly posted (Omnia1: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

ive got more important concerns than to get all bent up over a phone release.
yeah it would be nice but suppose they had released it. then the Storm2 is right behind it.vthen the Droid is right behind that.
THE next big thing only lasts till THE next best thing comes out

rfarrah 10-29-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark elmore (Post 1274998)
Wirelessly posted (Omnia1: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

ive got more important concerns than to get all bent up over a phone release.
yeah it would be nice but suppose they had released it. then the Storm2 is right behind it.vthen the Droid is right behind that.
THE next big thing only lasts till THE next best thing comes out

That's a good point. The Droid looks pretty good, but I'm still six/seven months away from a new phone, so I'll be a lot more interested in available phones in the spring.

blazingwolf 10-29-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosfinest (Post 1274666)
Windows Mobile Is loosing its Hype. they have years of making, and catching up to do. and it seems that they are always behind. WM6.5 is about 3 years behind.

How do you figure that?

greenskeeper805 10-29-2009 01:53 PM

I still think that it's going to be awesome. Sure it's 200MHz less than the Droid, but it's gonna be the fastest WinMo device to date (In america, not sure what the rest of the world has, we're always behind). Plus they fixed the 2 main gripes that I have, 3.5mm headphone slot and micro USB! Those alone are reasons to be excited! Just my 2 (or maybe 1) cents. I'm sure it'll have winmo 6.5 soon enough, and whoever gets it can play with Sammys Touchwiz for a while or some other UI until then.

nerdherd 10-29-2009 02:25 PM

I tried out the Imagio at a Verizon store and I was blown away my the 480x800 resolution and the screen's responsiveness. It blows the Omnia out of the water. We know the Omnia II's screen is fantastic and the same res, and if the screen sensitivity is just as good as the Omagio then the Omnia II will be absolutely amazing. Even though more recently I've been caught up in all the Droid hype, the Omnia II is still going to be a very strong option for me.

EDIT: Also, I don't know what you mean about "it's 200MHz less than the Droid", but the Omnia II is actually 800Mhz and the Droid is 550Mhz. That being said, the Omnia II is based on the older ARM11 CPU and the Droid is based on the ARM Cortex v8 (same as the iPhone and Pre), which from what I read is like 40% faster clock-for-clock than the older ARM11. So in the end they should perform similarly. At least that's my understanding of it all...

Omega Ra 10-29-2009 02:36 PM

Well my next phone isn't going to be a smartphone, however I was playing with the THC Imagio in the store the other day...pretty slick. The touchflo UI is nice and smooth. Only thing I didn't like was the 75%+ memory usage all the time.