PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia II
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 03:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Pure (TD2, Topaz)
Carrier: AT&T

greenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Do you think omnia 2 is losing its hype??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdherd View Post

EDIT: Also, I don't know what you mean about "it's 200MHz less than the Droid", but the Omnia II is actually 800Mhz and the Droid is 550Mhz. That being said, the Omnia II is based on the older ARM11 CPU and the Droid is based on the ARM Cortex v8 (same as the iPhone and Pre), which from what I read is like 40% faster clock-for-clock than the older ARM11. So in the end they should perform similarly. At least that's my understanding of it all...
For some reason I thought it had the snapdragon 1000MHz. My bad!

EDIT: Yeah I was totally off! Isn't someone releasing a snapdragon HTC phone soon?

Don't forget to click THANKS for those who have helped!

Last edited by greenskeeper805; 10-29-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia1
Carrier: Verizon

mark elmore is keeping up the good workmark elmore is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Omnia1: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

mine and the OPs point exactly. if it was released already it would be obsolete, by comparison, soon and as its held up ,by the time its released it will be in a distant 3rd for being THE hottest Verizon phone
Old 10-29-2009, 06:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: omnia i910
Carrier: vzw

txter is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark elmore View Post
Wirelessly posted (Omnia1: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

ive got more important concerns than to get all bent up over a phone release.
yeah it would be nice but suppose they had released it. then the Storm2 is right behind it.vthen the Droid is right behind that.
THE next big thing only lasts till THE next best thing comes out

this is true. its always something new. but what many take into consideration is the OS. in the 3 you mentioned, their all different. wm, google os, and RIM. all good phones but again, which os do you like best...?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia I

inca_coder is a n00b

I for one am losing my excitement about the Omnia 2, I am now more excited about the HTC HD2 but i wonder who will carry it in the US and how long I have to wait for it.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I will drop dead from amazement if the HD2 comes to VZW. Maybe TMobile will get it but not VZW. After all we did not get the HD when it came out.

The Omnia II is still one of the top new devices on the market. It has an 800 MHz CPU which is only beaten by the HD2 and maybe the Droid processor since it is based on a new core. Most everything else is coming in the 528 MHz area. The other nice thing no one has is the AMOLED screen. Pretty much no device has this.

There will always be new and better devices in the pipeline. The question will always be which one is the best for you right now.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 10-29-2009, 07:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia1

mark elmore is keeping up the good workmark elmore is keeping up the good work

i wanted to dive into the world of smartphones with the O2 since rumor had it by Aug end the O1 would be gone and replaced by the O2.
i had my eye on thr O1 since its pre release but went cheap and got a Dare.
when my annual upgrade came about, the O1 was $50 for me and still available i jumped on it thinking it would be gone soon lol.
the Dare and O1 are the perfect size for my face,hand,thumbs,pocket,weight but this Omnia is soooo much more than a touch phone with a cool camera. i write this just to reiterate what blaxinwolf stated; its a personal thing. my Dare met my needs but this phone has helped me grow in techno ability and i use the microsoft office apps much more now than i did on my desktop. i have a bad couple of discs in my back that make sitting in a chair very painful so i use the phone then sync if needed
Old 10-30-2009, 01:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola droid, droid eris for a backup

phullofphil is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosfinest View Post
Windows Mobile Is loosing its Hype. they have years of making, and catching up to do. and it seems that they are always behind. WM6.5 is about 3 years behind.
What hype. Up untill a a little bit ago only phones like that were pda's and busines pda's that could call people. So to say they lost there hype is weird but also you can make it looke like any thing you want.
They have for years? There havent been pda phones for that long. And three years behind. Behind what. I dont get that. It was a business phone first. Another thing is If verizon does get the iphone i probably wont get it. I like to tinker around with my phone and you cant with that phone. It is what it is. The only phone that catches my eye right now is the htc passion or the hd2 with android and the omnia 2. I really dont like the fact that the hd2 has almost no built in storage.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID

rolijen is becoming a great contributor

Help bring me up to speed please--The Omnia II's AMOLED technology uses much less juice, right? From the specs, Omnia II's battery life will be double any of the other smartphones. Anyone know if this is correct? If so, that's a real strong argument for Omnia II.

For those about to rock (We salute you)
Old 10-31-2009, 05:00 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

tanukikun is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper805 View Post
For some reason I thought it had the snapdragon 1000MHz. My bad!
The mhz question gets really fuzzy with many of the new processors coming out. The 550mhz Cortex in the Droid is effectively on equal par with the snapdragon 1ghz in the HD2 and the 800 mhz Omnia II. Each chip has been specifically chosen for core processing, integrated video acceleration, and DSP functions.

The ultimate comparison has to be made with Real-world tests of speed, battery life and functionality. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait till some of these phones hit the streets over the next few weeks (months?)
Old 10-31-2009, 06:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: samsung omnia i910

steve austin is just getting started

honestly, for me, it's not the Omnia 2 itself. its Samsung. I have found the tech people to be unknowledgeable about the Omnia, no one knows release dates or when firmware is getting pushed and I usally know more about the phone when I call in than they do. then, lets add in in their lag in an adequate app store and hearing about all these great phones overseas - with support and updates - and we're here yelling "hey, over here!"

I am not impressed with how Verizon has slowed the pace of information on the 2 down to a halt or the unknowing techs on their end either. If it were not for Bgill/Evidence, Blazingwolf, Sector and people who help add their tips and tricks to forums like this I would have not only got rid of the Omnia (which I love now), but Verizon as well.

Verizon and Samsung have lost a customer. As soon as there is a discount off of the HTC HD2 I AM GONE. Their site is nice, their is a whole mod site dedicated to that brand and...they are ALWAYS rolling out differnt builds and updates. This just my 2 cents.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia II