PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia II

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 09:34 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II
Carrier: Verizon

Geebox is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Samsung Omnia II SCH-i920 Review

My Samsung Omnia II- SCH i920 Review

Ok I’ve had this phone since it came out on 12-2-09. I am finally giving a semi- full review. I know I left some things out, these are just the things that stand out to me. I will be uploading a full video review soon. I have been playing with and modding Windows Mobile devices since the Pocket PC days of 2000, and in my opinion this is by far the best Windows Device I ever had, tested and played with. I plan on getting another one strictly for modding and testing. Like most WinMo Carrier Specific PDA’s, it is loaded with programs from the carrier (in this case Verizon) that most smartphone customers don’t use. When a safe rom (that removes all the junk from the phone ) is released, I will be testing it on my test phone. Anyway let me get to the review.

Since this phone has so many good things about it, I will start off with:

The bad.

1.Windows Mobile- This is a Good and a Bad. Bad for new people to the Windows Mobile Platform. Newbie’s can get scared or discouraged with the thousands of info spread around the net.- but then again at least there is an answer to be found.
2.Samsung User Interface- With all the pre development on Windows Mobile UI’s, I don’t know why Samsung released this phone with such a poor UI, It wasn't that slow to me as I heard others say. But it is useless as for as customizing it. You can’t put your just installed programs where and how you want them without some serious modding.- Most people like me just installed a better UI.
3.No D-pad- though some people say that one is not needed, I think it should have been put on the phone. Some games and books that I already own need a dpad for quick direction, movement and turns. You get the point.- There are some Virtual dpads working on the HTC models, development is in progress for Samsung.
4.No Keyboard- Not sure if this is a bad thing. I loved my physical keyboard.- This has a couple of virtual keyboards.
5.Head Phone Jack on the side. This jack should have been kept at the top.
6.Camera Button & Lock Button To close. Pushing the lock button often accidentally starts the camera because the camera button is raised and right next to the lock button.
7.Internet speed. The installed Opera browser is an improvement from the past years but is still slow compared to the safari on the iphone. Actually the installed windows IE browser matched petty close to loading the same pages as the iphone.
8.External Storage Card location. – You have to remove the battery cover to get to the slot.
9.MEMORY- This is a issue with all windows mobile devices. Though it is manageable, it is both the Manufacturer and Carriers fault. Can’t blame the manufacture too much after all, they do have to make a device with a selling price that customers will buy. Not sure what a phone with a 1gig plus rom and 500+ ram in it might cost, but I’d bet that it would be will over $500 bucks. (still probably future). Verizon would probably put 700mb of junk on it any way. Lol.- This is why people put custom roms on their WinMos. Again its manageable. Most apps can be put on the storage card.

The Good (why this phone)

1.Windows Mobile- Windows Mobile 6.5 – better than the previous versions, Standard Window Mobile UI not bad. The ability to totally customize your phone practically any way you like. Plenty of already developed applications to do just about anything to want. Plenty of support and continual developers.
2.Amoled Display- Best Display I have ever seen on a WinMo device.
3.Fully Touch Screen- Stylus included if you need it.
4.Performance- After disabling Touchwiz, one can experience the true speed and performance of this phone.
5.Screen Size- large screen size is great for seeing things and watching movies.
6.Camera- @ 5meg pixels. This camera is awesome.
7.Call and Voice Quailty - The phones voice quality it excellent.
8.Office Mobile- Word, Excel. OneNote & PowerPoint- Enough Said
9.Swype- Virtual keyboard with writing is awesome, it even spells the words for you if you misspell.
10.3.5mm Jack Stereo jack-(not that **bleep** 2.5 jack. No need for adapters.
11.External Stereo Speakers- decent speakers to listen to music.
12.Multi Media- play full ripped DVD movies, music & video streaming on web and network.
13.FM Radio
14.External microSd Slot- up to 16gigs says the manufacturer. I believe up 32 gigs once one is released and tested.
15.Video -capture and play back is also awesome –DVD resolution
16.Voice Recognition built in.
17.Smart Reader- Business Card and Document scanner
18.Wifi Router- The phone can be used as a internet router/hotspot. Allowing a few computers to connect for internet use( this program does not come with the phone)
19.Battery Life.-this is a huge improvement on current and previous models. The battery life beats them all hands down.
There are too many programs to list that I believe only Windows Mobile offers that other platforms don’t have nor will never have. On the other hand programs on other platforms, are on Windows Mobile or will be.

My most used apps: Excel, Slingmobile, Spb backup, Memory Maid, Bing Mobile, Roscoe File Explorer, Nuance Voice Recognition and or course WMWiFiRouter.
Rom 3.2.3 Titan Reloaded 1.3.2
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700
Carrier: verizon

getsoutalive is a n00b
Re: Samsung Omnia II SCH-i920 Review

Pretty accurate review, IMO. Well done. Not perfect, but best in class at the moment. The screen continues to amaze me.

I have two main issues. I cannot find a version of Remote Desktop Client that works on this device. And I am having trouble accessing my home NAS device. Total Commander is not displaying directories properly via ftp or lan settings. Anyone know of an FTP other than MobileFTP? That did not work for me either.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:14 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsoutalive View Post
Pretty accurate review, IMO. Well done. Not perfect, but best in class at the moment. The screen continues to amaze me.

I have two main issues. I cannot find a version of Remote Desktop Client that works on this device. And I am having trouble accessing my home NAS device. Total Commander is not displaying directories properly via ftp or lan settings. Anyone know of an FTP other than MobileFTP? That did not work for me either.
Thanks, You need the WM 6.5 version of Remote Desktop.Here --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=3592033
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

excellent review....I agree with 'most' of ur cons...
The placement of the Lock/Camera button is annoying
The Headphone jack should have been on the top...
The charging/USB jack I would have liked it on the bottom...

I've gotten used to the lack of a D-pad almost everything on the O2 is finger friendly, what I did was map the "shield" to 'scroll down'... its limited but it works when ur trying to select a text message or email to delete without opening it...

the storage card I don't have an issue with...I rarely take it out...its better then the original Omnia where u had to remove the battery...

Thanks for taking the time to post this review the O2 isn't perfect but I love it...
Old 12-19-2009, 09:57 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdub73 View Post
excellent review....I agree with 'most' of ur cons...
The placement of the Lock/Camera button is annoying
The Headphone jack should have been on the top...
The charging/USB jack I would have liked it on the bottom...

I've gotten used to the lack of a D-pad almost everything on the O2 is finger friendly, what I did was map the "shield" to 'scroll down'... its limited but it works when ur trying to select a text message or email to delete without opening it...

the storage card I don't have an issue with...I rarely take it out...its better then the original Omnia where u had to remove the battery...

Thanks for taking the time to post this review the O2 isn't perfect but I love it...

Thanks, I found that the sywpe keyboard has direction arrows, it at least allows me to turn pages on my books

Last edited by Geebox; 12-19-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700

getsoutalive is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geebox View Post
Thanks, You need the WM 6.5 version of Remote Desktop.Here --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=3592033
Sweet! Works like a charm. Thanks. Love knocking items off the list.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:29 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: VZW

NomaSS is a n00b

I know the camera is good but is it true that the hi res video mode can only shoot at 18fps?
Old 12-21-2009, 04:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: omnia i910

levytv is a n00b

thanks for the review geebox - how does the slingplayer look and does the 16x9 fill up the screen?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:06 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by levytv View Post
thanks for the review geebox - how does the slingplayer look and does the 16x9 fill up the screen?
Looks and plays excellent I even keep the video setting at action for better picture. The version I have doesn't fill the entire screen. I have it set at the highest is 320X240. Still very good picture in landscape. I love it.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:34 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: fh
Carrier: fg

ignatiusmael is a n00b

Hello.
There are many benefits of Samsung Omnia II which has a very long talk time of 6 hours with a 375 hour stand-by time this is a great battery. The large 3.7 inch WVGA AMOLED screen looks fantastic. The 5.0mp camera is great addition to this phone. I would like to buy this in future.
Thanks for sharing this.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia II