PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia II

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Verizon

Robtao is keeping up the good workRobtao is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon Omnia II ROM Flashing (XP)

I am not seeing as much activity for custom ROMs here as I would expect. Maybe we need the Mods to give us an Omnia II Upgrades sub forum. Seriously, the Omnia II is a much better phone than the stock ROM allows it to be. Even after DC23, the latest. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=118665 With the latest custom ROM of my choice, the Omnia II is the best phone I have ever owned or used.

Check out Custom ROMs from Ninja4Hire, amdzero, and yardi4life, here or in the Modaco forums http://www.modaco.com/category/425/verizon-samsung-sch-i920-omnia-ii-cdma-rom-discussion/ . They remove bloatware which slows things down, so your phone can be a lot snappier and responsive. Plus the Operating Systems are getting faster and better with the latest builds. Also, it becomes easier to find the stuff you want when you don't have to sort through the stuff that is essentially worthless and just in the way.

Also, the phone becomes a lot more interesting when the themes are customized to something that you really like. The chefs just keep getting better and better.

I am wondering if the ROM posts would be getting more attention if people had more confidence in their ability to flash custom ROMs successfully?

This "PDA only" (no CSC) [DO NOT CHECK the Erase CSC file box] Octans method of flashing reduces the risk, so that creating a bricked phone is very unlikely. If something doesn’t work, just flash again with a different stock or custom ROM. Flashing with XP is a snap, except maybe for the driver that seems to be needed to make your PC work with the Octans loader. You can also flash back to the stock ROM if you need to return your phone to Verizon.

Again, though “FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK” and the usual “I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BREAK YOUR PHONE” liability disclaimers. Sorry to have to do that (cause it really isn't that hard, see post #6) but I guess something could go wrong and if it does YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. (Oh, just go ahead! Sheesh!)

Flashing with XP SP3

1. Have driver installed. (Maybe not needed?) (http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=43383
2. Probably need to reboot after installation of driver. I don’t worry about this anymore ‘cause it just works.
Edit: It may be possible to flash without this driver for XP. It has been so long, most of us don't know if the driver is needed or not. Try it.
3. For most of the current ROMs, you need to apply the stock ROM update to DC23, http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=118665 which is the latest official update. Yes, it will wipe your memory and My Storage clean. So back stuff up you want to keep!!
4. Download Octans. http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=48091
5. Then download the ROM of your choice from your favorite chef. Make sure it is for the Verizon i920 Omnia II.
6. Unzip it into the same folder as you put Octans.
7. Connect and sync with Active sync, then under File/Connection Setting, uncheck the box for "Allow USB Connections." (I think this isn't even needed either.)
8. Run Octans.
9. Click "PDA" in Octans, and find and select the ROM (which should be an .nb0 file.)
10. I suggest checking the boxes that say "Start Downloading immediately" and "Skip over waiting for booting completely". It just speeds things up, and keeps you from waiting for nothing.
(Then, there are methods of disconnecting and reconnecting, and turning the phone completely off, then back on, but instead...)
11. I just leave the phone connected and ON, get to the Soft Reset Screen on the phone with the Yes/No and get ready to hit Yes on the phone and Detect on the PC then I hit Yes (to start the Soft Reset), and immediately hit "Detect" in Octans. If you time this right, it makes things a lot easier.
12. About 10 minutes later, you should have a new ROM. If the ROM is built with XDA_UC, CABs placed in a folder you put in the root of your storage card named XDA_UC will be installed automatically to Main Memory. Cabs placed in a folder named SC (inside the XDA_UC folder) will start automatically, but ask where you want to install them. Soft reset is recommend after all is installed and message says you are done.
13. Don’t forget to recheck the box in ActiveSync to Allow USB connections again if you disabled this. (I have successfully flashed without disabling in the first place so try it.)

Although flashing stock ROM DC23 WILL clear your My Storage folder, after that, flashing with a Custom ROM will not do that again, so My Storage will be OK.

For another tutorial, and collection of tools, especially for Vista or Windows 7 see http://www.modaco.com/content/verizon-samsung-sch-i920-omnia-ii-cdma-rom-discussion/304107/how-i-flashed-my-omnia-vzw-i920/ from kdkinc. The Vista and Windows 7 stuff is a bit more intimidating, but should get you through.

Verizon: XV6700, XV6800 w/ROMs cooked in PPCGeeks Kitchen, Omnia i910 with cac2us ROM and Omnia 2 with Ninja4Hire's ROMS.

Last edited by Robtao; 08-12-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: XP flash MAY not need the driver
Old 06-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia 2

~SECURITY~ is a n00b
Re: Verizon Omnia II ROM Flashing (XP)

Ok, so what if I have a 64 bit OS on my computer? What are my options?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Check the bottom of my post #1, or look at some of the other links at Modaco. I don't know if that is covered there, but that is your best bet.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

deadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deadwrong03 Send a message via MSN to deadwrong03 Send a message via Yahoo to deadwrong03 Send a message via Skype™ to deadwrong03

are there any good roms with htc sense 2.5 cooked in it? my gf has the omnia 2 and theres very little to no support for her omnia 2 like there is with my tp2
Old 06-29-2010, 01:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Omnia 2 i920
Carrier: Verizon Wirele$$

ninja4hire is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwrong03 View Post
are there any good roms with htc sense 2.5 cooked in it? my gf has the omnia 2 and theres very little to no support for her omnia 2 like there is with my tp2

Well there is AMDZero's rom: http://www.modaco.com/content/verizo...23-v1-5-23569/

And Mine: http://www.modaco.com/content/verizo...3-v1-5m-21907/
Old 07-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Imagio

Stylii is a n00b

Robtao,
Thanks to your clear instructions, I am now enjoying AMDZero's rom. This was my first attempt and everything worked as described. I have been a lurker here and other Omnia 2 Forums since February, but with your guide and SPB backup, I finally had the confidence to give this a try. The only downside is that now I know how easy this actually is, I may be hooked...
Old 07-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylii View Post
Robtao,
Thanks to your clear instructions, I am now enjoying AMDZero's rom. This was my first attempt and everything worked as described. I have been a lurker here and other Omnia 2 Forums since February, but with your guide and SPB backup, I finally had the confidence to give this a try. The only downside is that now I know how easy this actually is, I may be hooked...
Ha! We also serve as a support group for addicts. Although some of these ROMS are so good, I seem to be losing the worst of the cravings, and can actually just enjoy this great phone!

Thanks for the thanks. Maybe your experience will help more people to discover just how cool this phone can be!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II with Ninja's 8.5m ROM

wwz7777 is a n00b
Thumbs up Re: Verizon Omnia II ROM Flashing (XP)

Kind Sir,
Followed the guide to the "T" and it worked like a champ! Great tutorial! My only question is where is the soft reset shortcut? My HTC Vogue had an icon on the Start menu for it but I couldn't find in on the Omnia. I used the reset button under the cover. Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:52 AM
ginotalebano

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

can you tell me how to use ppck-buildos for omnia II?
Old 10-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I think the guys (GguruUSA, etc.) who do that kitchen could make it work on the Omnia II, but they would need a phone to work with.

I don't operate at that level of sophistication myself.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia II