PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia II

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Bell Canada

ispahan is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Where is "My Documents" folder located on Omnia?

I still have not figured out where My documents folder is located on my machine. when I check the folder tree, it shows it under "My Device" , what is this "My Device"? What memory does it use? Does it use "My storage memory" which is 16 gb, or the sotrage card memory? Or does it use the small main storage memory which is 500 mb. And, what is this main storage memory anyway? I had a message that it is filling up and I have to delete some items. When I check the only things I see there are all the programs I have installed on my omnia. I don't want to delete them, I need them. I don't think Omnia has such a small memory for programs. I think many people have much more applications on their machines. My applications show under program files, but they also show in this "main Storage memory".

I am confused with all these memories.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla
Re: Where is "My Documents" folder located on Omnia?

I removed your other thread about the same issue. You don't need to make duplicate threads for your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time, but I am sure someone will help you out with an answer soon.

Regarding your device memory and being full. When you install apps, do you install to your SD Card or directly to the device? If you are installing everything directly tot he device that is probably why it is filling up so quickly.

Phone Specs are here to answer your other questions.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ispahan is a n00b
Question Re: Where is "My Documents" folder located on Omnia?

Code:
I removed your other thread about the same issue.   You don't need to make duplicate threads for your question.  Sometimes  it may take a bit of time, but I am sure someone will help you out with  an answer soon.
I posted it just once, I don't know how come it appeared in two places?? It must be something with the software on ppcgeeks. does it happen to others also?

Anyway, unfortunately when I want to install an application, it never gives me the option. I click on the .cab file and it installs itself automatically, does not even tell me where it is installing itself. from what I read here, it sounds like some application programmers program it into the application to ask the question, and some don't. my question will be: with the applications that are not programmed to ask where we want to install them, how can we force them to install on the place we want them, like the card. Also I read that applications installed on the memory card don't run very fast and should be installed on "my storage" .
Old 04-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

If it is written to install on the device then you can't change that. I can only think of a handful of applications that need to be installed on the device, most everything can be installed on SD. Are you sure your SD Card is formatted correctly and the device is recognizing it?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"
Carrier: Sprint

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispahan View Post
I still have not figured out where My documents folder is located on my machine. when I check the folder tree, it shows it under "My Device" , what is this "My Device"? What memory does it use? Does it use "My storage memory" which is 16 gb, or the sotrage card memory? Or does it use the small main storage memory which is 500 mb. And, what is this main storage memory anyway? I had a message that it is filling up and I have to delete some items. When I check the only things I see there are all the programs I have installed on my omnia. I don't want to delete them, I need them. I don't think Omnia has such a small memory for programs. I think many people have much more applications on their machines. My applications show under program files, but they also show in this "main Storage memory".

I am confused with all these memories.
"My Device" is the topmost or "root" folder of the phone, ite refers to absolutely everything, it's like going to the "C:\" hard drive of you computer and opening it and seeing all the folders pop up. Within the My Device folder you should see a folder titled "Storage Card" anything that's in that folder is on your storage card, anything not in that folder is on your phone's main memory.
Your My Documents folder, where everything you create or download is usually saved, should be visible directly from My Device, and remember, you may have a second My Documents folder on the storage card. So you may have to make an effort to keep track of where you're storing stuff, just like on your computer.
Another note, if you're looking for files related to a related program, if that program was installed to the device it will be in "My Device\Program Files" if its on the storage card it will be in "My Device\Storage Card\Program Files"
as far as your low memory problem, you may have to uninstall the program and rerun the .cab to reinstall it, and the first thing it should ask is where you want it, unless like Carla said, if the program was written to install directly to the device, there's not really anything you can do about it, so I'd suggest finding which programs can go to the storage card, then put them there.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ispahan is a n00b
Question Re: Where is "My Documents" folder located on Omnia?

THANKS for your answers.

1.why should I install a software on my storage card when "my storage", which is the memory on my device, is still 15 GB free? Is there a difference when I install on the storage card or the device?? I notice that wherever you install it, you always have "something" also installed on the "main storage" which is only 500 mb.

2. The intriguing thing here for me is really "main storage". WHAT IS IT? It is definitely not RAM. It is also not "my storage". I guess it is part of "my storage"(the device memory), but separate from it.

If we want to talk in desktop terms, what would it be on a desktop? What does it do? Why is it separated from "my storage"? What is the "reserved part" on it and can we reduce that part, because that reserved part actually takes most of it in my device.

I notice I only get "short on memory" alarm when the memory on this "main storage" is low. It is not from low memory on "my storage" as I said I have 15 gb free on it.

I would appreciate answers to above questions as many other newbies like me have the same questions.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:52 AM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"
Carrier: Sprint

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispahan View Post
THANKS for your answers.

1.why should I install a software on my storage card when "my storage", which is the memory on my device, is still 15 GB free? Is there a difference when I install on the storage card or the device?? I notice that wherever you install it, you always have "something" also installed on the "main storage" which is only 500 mb.

2. The intriguing thing here for me is really "main storage". WHAT IS IT? It is definitely not RAM. It is also not "my storage". I guess it is part of "my storage"(the device memory), but separate from it.

If we want to talk in desktop terms, what would it be on a desktop? What does it do? Why is it separated from "my storage"? What is the "reserved part" on it and can we reduce that part, because that reserved part actually takes most of it in my device.

I notice I only get "short on memory" alarm when the memory on this "main storage" is low. It is not from low memory on "my storage" as I said I have 15 gb free on it.

I would appreciate answers to above questions as many other newbies like me have the same questions.
1. You don't necessarily have to or should install things to the memory card. Really that advantage to it is for devices that don't have that much on board memory such as my TP2 so I install to the memory card to leave device memory free, also its a good way to keep everything backed up, for example if I flash my phone then rather than having to install everything again I just have to create some shortcuts on the device and bam, everything is exactly as it was. Honestly if I had that much storage space, most of my stuff would get installed to the device because
the advantage of installing to the device is that the program still functions even if the memory card is removed and the program itself will run faster because its not queing up the memory card to run
also, programs on the storage card may be taking space on the device itself because if it has to create or store information, it's default may be to store that information on the device; unfortunately regardless of installation location
2. I don't actually have an answer to "my storage" vs "main storage" if the "my storage" isn't on the memory card than both of course are located on the device and no it is definitely not ram. I'd heard samsung uses weird filing systems on their devices but it's bizarre to have both of those separate but the same in the same place
hopefully we can get someone more experience with samsung to wander in here
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia II

Tags
application, main storage, main storage memory, memory, my storage memory