PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Omnia II (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   O2:Best Phone BUT minor annoyances... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=110654)

buckyswider 02-13-2010 05:33 PM

O2:Best Phone BUT minor annoyances...

Hi, I feel like a traitor complaining about a few things, because this really is a great phone. However, there are a few things that really bug me. Maybe Someone Of Greater Knowledge can help me out...

#1- How can I get the LED to let me know I have new alerts (emails/texts/missed calls/vms/etc.)? It seems like a step backward (coming from XV6800) to have to fire up the screen to see if there is anything requiring attention..

#2- How do I select an email/text without "opening" it? Plenty of times I just want to select something in order to delete it, but I have to press it, then "x" it closed in order to delete.

#3- It takes way too many taps for me to select an address from my address book for texting. "Menu>New>Tap to add Recipients>Phone Book>(maginfying glass)>(then tap letters to find name)>(check box next to name)>Done". With the 6800, after "new sms" i just started tapping letters and the names would appear to select. Is there a way to get a simplete mechanism with this phone?

#4- OK, there's no fix for this, but an uncovered charging/data port ON THE BOTTOM is a much better design. There's no just slipping this thing into a charger and pulling it out. Something that seems so logical....WHY SAMSUNG, WHY??? ](*,)

Thanks all. I really hate to sound like a whiner, because this is a really great device...

Geebox 02-17-2010 11:38 AM

Re: O2:Best Phone BUT minor annoyances...

1. Enable the Windows Mobile Settings Icon by using a registry editor: *HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\ amd change Value 'HideSettings' to '0'
Then click on the Gray Windows Settings Icon and go to Sounds and Notifications like your vx6800.

2. Use the latest S2U2 slide to unlock apps, it displays the text and email on the screen for a quick look for relevancy. Or use the 3d viewer in the phone to scroll through emails and text.

3. Use the phones Nuiance Voice Command to send text, emails or dialing. Hold down the send key for about 2 to 3 secs.

Robtao 02-18-2010 03:24 PM

#1: I sometimes (?) get a magenta (blue and red same time) LED at the top if I have a message waiting. I did activate under Settings/Sounds and Notifications/New Email messages "display message on screen" and "Flash light for ... minutes" for email.

BrooklynGal 03-12-2010 02:24 PM

Hi:
I have a Samsung Omnia 2 (Verizon model i920).
Regarding the LED notification light, it indicates everything but an e-mail message.
Does anyone know how to remedy this?
I noticed this from an earlier posting:
. Enable the Windows Mobile Settings Icon by using a registry editor: *HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\ amd change Value 'HideSettings' to '0'
Then click on the Gray Windows Settings Icon and go to Sounds and Notifications like your vx6800.
Do I enter the info into an address bar?
Sorry that I'm a novice at this.

I serached in File Explorer and found Windows and among other files are start menu, startup, programs, rings, and style.
I'm not using the widget window and have not installed a cooked rom.

Thanks for your help.

milesnapue 03-13-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynGal (Post 1625491)
Hi:
I have a Samsung Omnia 2 (Verizon model i920).
Regarding the LED notification light, it indicates everything but an e-mail message.
Does anyone know how to remedy this?
I noticed this from an earlier posting:
. Enable the Windows Mobile Settings Icon by using a registry editor: *HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\ amd change Value 'HideSettings' to '0'
Do I enter the info into an address bar?
Sorry that I'm a novice at this.

I serached in File Explorer and found Windows and among other files are start menu, startup, programs, rings, and style.
I'm not using the widget window and have not installed a cooked rom.

Thanks for your help.

No, you have to either download a registry editor to your phone or computer and make the changes. I use Total commander on my HTC Touch Pro 2. Not sure if that program would work on the omina 2. Search around though there are a number of registry editors.

BrooklynGal 03-14-2010 02:42 PM

Milesnapue-thanks!

MN4Vols 03-18-2010 12:19 PM

I changed the registry as mentioned above, and verified the settings were set to display the message on the screen for text messages and e-mail, yet still the display does not show when I get a new message, only for a new phone call. Am I looking at the wrong settings? Thank you for your help.

delosky 04-08-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckyswider (Post 1563330)
#2- How do I select an email/text without "opening" it? Plenty of times I just want to select something in order to delete it, but I have to press it, then "x" it closed in order to delete.

All I do is select and hold the email and a submenu pops up. You should then be able to delete, reply, reply all, forward, mark as unread, etc, etc...

milesnapue 04-10-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynGal (Post 1629801)
Milesnapue-thanks!

Thats what the Thanks button is for at the bottom of my post :headbang: