PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia II

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 10:30 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II
Carrier: Verizon

Geebox is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Free Up Memory on the Omnia 2

Free Up to 27mb of Memory on SCH-i920

READ FIRST

This was done on Verizon's SCH-i920. I don't know if the files used here are the same on the i8000. Never the less the same procedure will apply.

Ok those needing to clear up some additional memory, follow these steps below. Check your memory and log it if you want to see the difference.

The following procedure will replace 5 Rom files totaling 17mb, with 5 dummy files totaling 0mb. Since we can't erase the Rom files, we are going to replace them with a smaller size file with the same name and thus, free up some memory.
Note: hard resetting your device will put the original files back. I use to do this to free up memory on other devices until a custom Rom was released. I have only tested the 02 with the 5 files below which appear to have no effect on the operation of the Phone.

You will need: Total Commander or Roscoe File Explorer.
I recommend using your computer and phone as it will make it easier to transfer your modded files to your device.

Setup: If using Roscoe explorer, set menu view to Reportt & Sort to- by size. If using Total commander click Size on the explorer window to cascade the files by size. (you need to see the size of the files)

A. Create a folder on your Devices Storage - Internal or External and name it Mods. Then create 2 folders within the Mods folder and name them "dummy files" the other "original files"

B. Using Total Commander or Roscoe Explorer, Navigate to the Device's Windows Directory on your phone and copy any of 5 0b files( I used: recent, dmr, blank,.hst & ORB Accounts) (the 0b is the size of the file) to the dummy files folder you created above.(Storage>Mods>dummy files).

C. Next navigate back to the Windows Directory and copy the 5 files below to your created: original files folder"(Storage>Mods>original files)(this is just incase you need to put the originals back without hard resetting)
1. 1_1kHz.mp3
2. 1kHz.mp3
3. 1kHz_0dB.mp3
4. Opera9.exe
5. opera-armv4i-widget.dll

D. Using your computer navigate to the Mods dummy files folder and Rename Each of the five files there to the 5 file names above in step C. (The names must be exact- you can copy and past from here.)

E. From your device using Total Commander or Roscoe Explorer copy the 5 renamed dummy files to the Devices Windows Directory and overwrite the existing files with these new files. Your Done, You have just freed about 17mb of device space.

You can also turn off the report to Microsoft error message window the next time it comes up and delete the 10mb(+) file in your Windows Directory also.

The above 2 Opera files were related to Opera9, if you use or want Opera, download the install Opera10 to your storage.

Check your memory to see the difference

Post any questions you have, there are plenty of people here that can help.
Rom 3.2.3 Titan Reloaded 1.3.2
Old 12-20-2009, 06:06 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II
Threadstarter

Geebox is just getting started
Re: Free Up Memory on the Omnia 2

Hmm, Yeah my program expert friend says that my mod is an illusion and that nothing will change as far as true memory gain. He said I must have did something else to get my numbers, Hmm now I got play round and see what I did to get my so called free memory back to 48mb
Old 12-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia II

Robtao is keeping up the good workRobtao is keeping up the good work
Re: Free Up Memory on the Omnia 2

Yeah, I was going to ask how that would work, since the files are in ROM, and can't be erased, so in theory, this method should only cause the device to stop seeing the original files, but they would still be in there.

Too bad, though. I was really hoping it would work!

Verizon: XV6700, XV6800 w/ROMs cooked in PPCGeeks Kitchen, Omnia i910 with cac2us ROM and Omnia 2 with Ninja4Hire's ROMS.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia II

Tags
erase, memory, omnia, ram, rom