PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Moment (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   My Location issues. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=98396)

clockcycle 11-24-2009 02:54 PM

My Location issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoeman (Post 1352053)
ive been with android since the G1...im a real android fan...i see the most potential ive ever seen in an OS in the android...and i rooted my g1 and flashed a custom rom 2 it...i flahed a regular 1.6 rom to it with all da good stuff...tether, apps2sd and more...and the phone ran like it had a hemi engine in it or a 800 mhz processor in it...it wus super fast...but with out it being rooted it would freeze, force close, crash, just be really buggy...after i rooted it the phone never gave a single problem again...the OS is beautiful but the hardware is never up to par...when the moment came out i thought to my self "this is perfect" da specs were beautiful...so i gave my rooted G1 to my girlfriend and got the moment...and note women are not the most patient people so if i didnt root that G1 she might have broken it the same day...excited about the moment at 1st but soon noticing that 2 of the most important things on the phone was not woking and that was the location finding and gps...i thought my phone didnt work so i brought it back and got a new 1...still didnt work...i would love to root this phone...i want nothing more but i really want a firmware update to fix this issue because like 10 of my apps used my location but not n e more...hero jus got an update so why cant we...i dnt even think sprint is aware of these problems...root access would make this phone the sickest android may b even phone period out rite now...im not a techy or not too smart on these types of things im actually a newb...but i know a good phone when i see it...i cant wait till people to really focus on the moment and i think this might be the place...

Settings > Security & Location > Use wireless networks or Enable GPS satellites ON?

johnnybu 11-25-2009 08:49 PM

Re: My Location issues.

I think the aGPS on this phone only works inside of the Sprint Navigation app due to the lack of CDMA triangulation support in the OS. Any other app (Google Maps, etc.), needs a clear sky view for the GPS signal the GPS seems to be weak on this phone) or a WiFi connection or it simply will not work.

I guess whatever piece of 1.6 samsung hacked into 1.5 to get CDMA support on it left out the aGPS over a CDMA network. 1.6 or 2.0 or a cooked ROM cannot come soon enough.

jjday7 11-25-2009 10:28 PM

The moment I tried at Sprint couldn't lock inside the building at all, that was with sprint navigation. I didn't try google maps. I mean the bar filled all the way to 100% and still nothing. The reps kept saying it must be because it's a floor model. I came back about a week later to play with it and the same rep told me that he had other people coming in with the same complaint.

ydoucare 11-25-2009 10:36 PM

The GPS works fine as long as you disable Use Wireless Networks in location settings. Obviously, like standalone GPS devices, it will be more difficult to lock a GPS signal indoors when only using satellite GPS.

johnnybu 11-27-2009 12:50 PM

It may be purely coincidental, but I've had better results using the sprint navigator application with the "Use Wireless Networks" setting enabled along with the GPS while driving (nothing seems to work inside of most buildings). Without it, sprint navigator is all over the place, and constantly rerouting - unusable.

boiker 11-27-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnybu (Post 1362810)
I think the aGPS on this phone only works inside of the Sprint Navigation app due to the lack of CDMA triangulation support in the OS. Any other app (Google Maps, etc.), needs a clear sky view for the GPS signal the GPS seems to be weak on this phone) or a WiFi connection or it simply will not work.

I guess whatever piece of 1.6 samsung hacked into 1.5 to get CDMA support on it left out the aGPS over a CDMA network. 1.6 or 2.0 or a cooked ROM cannot come soon enough.

That's my thought and experience as well. The aGPS absolutely doesn't work. Although my satellite GPS works good indoors and outdoors.

Talyn 11-28-2009 10:44 AM

I cannot aquire satellite with G-maps, and when it did, unbenounced to me, I now reside in kenya. =(
It locks with other programs though.