PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 10:22 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

Gcav is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need help deciding

I am currently looking to upgrade my dinosaur phone. I have never had a smart phone because i can be rather rough out on the job with my phones. Im looking into replacing my sanyo (lol) for either a Hero, Pre, or moment. I have been leaning towards the moment for several weeks. I think the pre is next ( because of its true multitasking ability) and then the hero.

I need my phone to work with outlook for emails contacts and calendar. I like the idea of having a keyboard even though i have read mixed reviews about the moments keyboard. But the multitasking is kinda a big thing, i dont want to have to hang up a call or close something out just to open up contacts or calendar for something. (if that makes sense)

I know that this is a moment forum but have noticed alot of you have used several different phones up to this one and was just looking for some advice.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 AM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
Re: Need help deciding

Check out my review of the Moment. There's some good stuff there.
Pretty much every smart phone is capable of syncing with Exchange. You can't sync directly with Outlook by plugging your phone into the computer. There are third party apps available that will allow you to sync calendar/contacts with Outlook but I don't know what they are.

I can't remember how to do it with the Pre. You'd have to check somewhere like the PreCentral forums for a complete answer to that.

If you want an easy and seamless Outlook sync experience then Windows Mobile is really the only way to go.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: RAPH100

jshell73 is just getting started

I came over from the Touch Pro and I really like the Moment. For now, I miss a few things like streaming radio stations but otherwise I have nothing bad to say. It works well with Exchange, it makes phone calls, it's really fast switching between apps and doesn't lock up all the damn time.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcav View Post
I am currently looking to upgrade my dinosaur phone. I have never had a smart phone because i can be rather rough out on the job with my phones. Im looking into replacing my sanyo (lol) for either a Hero, Pre, or moment. I have been leaning towards the moment for several weeks. I think the pre is next ( because of its true multitasking ability) and then the hero.

I need my phone to work with outlook for emails contacts and calendar. I like the idea of having a keyboard even though i have read mixed reviews about the moments keyboard. But the multitasking is kinda a big thing, i dont want to have to hang up a call or close something out just to open up contacts or calendar for something. (if that makes sense)

I know that this is a moment forum but have noticed alot of you have used several different phones up to this one and was just looking for some advice.

IMHO go to a local store and touch the phones. Keyboard reviews, like that one guy that gave his review.. Reviewers usually hold a phone for 10 mins. Of course they are gonna feel weird with a new keyboard layout, but ALL their reviews say the same thing about every keyboard unit the touch.

Here goes my opinions; People say they can not feel the difference between the keys.. OMG use one for 5 mins, then you can laugh at them. The shift is where you would usually go to hit a tab. the function key is where you would look for a shift key. the spacebar is between the last row of keys. The arrows are within the keys. The enter is where you would expect the delete key, the delete is up top. The top row is close to the slider portion so your fat fingers won't get to touch the top keys with the pulp/yem of your finger..

You also have the option to use the on screen keyboard in portrait and landscape like on the hero, for quick text entry. But why would you want to cover up half your screen with a virtual keyboard and limit your viewing?

The Hero is sluggish and slow where it counts, visibly. Some most used features are bugged, hence the maintenance ROM to try to fix these. Going into the dialer the lag is really noticeable, dialing you could be finished dialing and it's three numbers behind...

Screen? Hero's has normal viewing angles, if you look from the sides you can't see the screen to well. And isn't "true color".
Old 11-20-2009, 08:28 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Gcav is a n00b

Ya i went to my local sprint and played with all of them for a bit. the sprint tech was trying to talk me into the pre because it does true multitasking. My wife has the pre but i haven't messed with it much, i don't know why i just don't care for it, but she loves it.

I really think im going to get the moment, i will look for different apps tonight to see what all i can actually do with it. The keyboard felt fine to me after a bit but you have to remember im coming from a sanyo Rl-4930 its pretty basic. thanks for the comments maybe ill get it =)
Old 11-22-2009, 06:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Moment < - Awesome!

ramiss is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Ya i went to my local sprint and played with all of them for a bit. the sprint tech was trying to talk me into the pre because it does true multitasking.
The Sprint guys is miss-informed. I mean how much more multi-tasking can you get than a Linux based platform such as Android!

Android has multi-tasking, it is one of the major selling points over the iPhone.

Don't forget the 30 day trial. You can get any phone and return it within 30 days with no questions asked. You could try them all!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:57 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramiss View Post
The Sprint guys is miss-informed. I mean how much more multi-tasking can you get than a Linux based platform such as Android!

Android has multi-tasking, it is one of the major selling points over the iPhone.

Don't forget the 30 day trial. You can get any phone and return it within 30 days with no questions asked. You could try them all!

Restocking fee applies to each return...
Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Gcav is a n00b

Well I am happy to sat (so far) the moment is great. Went and picked it up last night. Havent played with it much cause i had /have a ton of work due for work today but hopefully tonight ill have some time. Looks good, feels good, and no issues yet

=)
Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond / Samsung Moment

mistabusta is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
Restocking fee applies to each return...
I believe that the first exchange is done with no cost, additional have the restocking fee. At least that's what I was told at my Sprint Store...but as we all know, the sales floor people aren't always the most informed.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch, Diamond "Moment"

Stoney60 is keeping up the good workStoney60 is keeping up the good work

Quote:

You would have to go to the Droid for a truly terrible HW keyboard. I love my Moment's keyboard.
A few minutes to thoroughly answer someone's question in detail can save hundreds of hours of searching and reading thousands of pages in these forums. A little patience goes a long ways and doesn't leave a bad taste in peoples mouths.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment