PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 02:45 AM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
From Touch Pro to Moment?

Okay, first off I'm a pretty technical user. I've flashed every Windows Mobile phone I've had to cutting-edge stuff, used to cook, and know Windows Mobile inside and out. As well, in general, I'm a tech guy, working as in IT. So assume you're not talking to a noob when answering my questions.

Has anyone here gone from a Touch Pro to a Moment and, if so, what are your feelings on the transition? What were your pain points, what was a big improvement? What do you miss, what did you gain?

Assuming financial factors fall into place soon, I may be upgrading my phone and giving my wife my Touch Pro (her Diamond was damaged by the dog, and if we're going to spend $100 on insurance to replace it, I'd rather spend more and give her my better phone). At this point in time, that leaves me with either the Touch Pro2 or Moment as the only true upgrades available, so I'm torn. I'm really strongly considering going Android, but I'm not convinced the Moment's a big enough step forward at this point, especially since it's not running 2.0 and there's no word on whether it will. Meanwhile the TP2's a big external upgrade from the TP and will get official 6.5 support, but otherwise isn't really changed on the inside.

So I'm trying to gauge opinions from anyone who made the switch to help me see what to expect.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2009, 02:53 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Re: From Touch Pro to Moment?

i'll try to answer by saying my wife hated the tp, but loves her "moment". but, she just talks on her phone!
Old 11-15-2009, 02:59 AM
Timeless
Threadstarter

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

lol, fair enough, so not much for me to go off of. I mostly love my TP except for battery/charging issues, and I probably use it LEAST for talking.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:18 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

the battery indicator is off until the upgrade, but it's a good phone if you don't tweek much. apps are super fast! (i've used it)
Old 11-15-2009, 10:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: treowx
Carrier: sprint

derrickmd18 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to derrickmd18 Send a message via Yahoo to derrickmd18

i'm wondering this too. I had TP and got sick of the keyboard problems and sold it for the treo 800w. now looking at the moment and wondering. I just wish the moment could do flash on sites like the TP did with skyfire.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6950

raziug is becoming a great contributor

I went from TP to Moment. Dont regret it one bit. Only thing I miss is the easy ability to tether on winmo. I actually passed the tp to my wife cause the day I upgraded she lost her diamond. Patiently waiting for root access.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Timeless
Threadstarter

Ah, see tethering would definitely be a challenge for me. That's something that might make me wait...
Old 11-15-2009, 02:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6950

raziug is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool View Post
Ah, see tethering would definitely be a challenge for me. That's something that might make me wait...
You can tether via pdanet, although imo its very slow ( i believe it goes thru their servers). I only tether on my moment via pdanet when it absolutely necessary. Its a pita. I had actually bought a hero, swapped it for moment the day before root was found. If it was rooted before I swapped, I may have kept the hero just for tethering.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

I switched from a TP to a moment, you can read my mini review here:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=94123

Post #5
Old 11-15-2009, 08:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Moment

tphone is becoming a great contributor

I switched from a TP and I'm very happy with the moment. The screen is brilliant. What small gripes I have will probably be addressed very soon with an update.
A nit-pic:
Nuance voice is nowhere as good as MSVC. Not even close.
Can't tether yet. I expect to soon.
The phone feels more solid and well built to me that the HTC devices I've had in the past.

Go to the store and check it out.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment