PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Moment (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   From Touch Pro to Moment? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=96656)

TurboFool 11-15-2009 02:45 AM

From Touch Pro to Moment?

Okay, first off I'm a pretty technical user. I've flashed every Windows Mobile phone I've had to cutting-edge stuff, used to cook, and know Windows Mobile inside and out. As well, in general, I'm a tech guy, working as in IT. So assume you're not talking to a noob when answering my questions.

Has anyone here gone from a Touch Pro to a Moment and, if so, what are your feelings on the transition? What were your pain points, what was a big improvement? What do you miss, what did you gain?

Assuming financial factors fall into place soon, I may be upgrading my phone and giving my wife my Touch Pro (her Diamond was damaged by the dog, and if we're going to spend $100 on insurance to replace it, I'd rather spend more and give her my better phone). At this point in time, that leaves me with either the Touch Pro2 or Moment as the only true upgrades available, so I'm torn. I'm really strongly considering going Android, but I'm not convinced the Moment's a big enough step forward at this point, especially since it's not running 2.0 and there's no word on whether it will. Meanwhile the TP2's a big external upgrade from the TP and will get official 6.5 support, but otherwise isn't really changed on the inside.

So I'm trying to gauge opinions from anyone who made the switch to help me see what to expect.

Thanks!

Dr.8820 11-15-2009 02:53 AM

Re: From Touch Pro to Moment?

i'll try to answer by saying my wife hated the tp, but loves her "moment". but, she just talks on her phone!

TurboFool 11-15-2009 02:59 AM

lol, fair enough, so not much for me to go off of. I mostly love my TP except for battery/charging issues, and I probably use it LEAST for talking.

Dr.8820 11-15-2009 03:18 AM

the battery indicator is off until the upgrade, but it's a good phone if you don't tweek much. apps are super fast! (i've used it)

derrickmd18 11-15-2009 10:24 AM

i'm wondering this too. I had TP and got sick of the keyboard problems and sold it for the treo 800w. now looking at the moment and wondering. I just wish the moment could do flash on sites like the TP did with skyfire.

raziug 11-15-2009 01:55 PM

I went from TP to Moment. Dont regret it one bit. Only thing I miss is the easy ability to tether on winmo. I actually passed the tp to my wife cause the day I upgraded she lost her diamond. Patiently waiting for root access.

TurboFool 11-15-2009 02:30 PM

Ah, see tethering would definitely be a challenge for me. That's something that might make me wait...

raziug 11-15-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFool (Post 1331081)
Ah, see tethering would definitely be a challenge for me. That's something that might make me wait...

You can tether via pdanet, although imo its very slow ( i believe it goes thru their servers). I only tether on my moment via pdanet when it absolutely necessary. Its a pita. I had actually bought a hero, swapped it for moment the day before root was found. If it was rooted before I swapped, I may have kept the hero just for tethering.

blazinazn 11-15-2009 07:48 PM

I switched from a TP to a moment, you can read my mini review here:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=94123

Post #5

tphone 11-15-2009 08:19 PM

I switched from a TP and I'm very happy with the moment. The screen is brilliant. What small gripes I have will probably be addressed very soon with an update.
A nit-pic:
Nuance voice is nowhere as good as MSVC. Not even close.
Can't tether yet. I expect to soon.
The phone feels more solid and well built to me that the HTC devices I've had in the past.

Go to the store and check it out.