PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 06:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Moment < - Awesome!
Carrier: Sprint

ramiss is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: From Touch Pro to Moment?

I switched from a TP to the Moment just over a week ago. I have to say that I was very scared to make the transition. I have been a WM user since my HP IPAQ bought in 2003. I have owned the i730, i760 and TP to name a few.

I can tell you that the Moment and Android continue to amaze me every day. It's been over a week and I am still excited about the possibilities and wowed by how easy some things are to accomplish.

As an IT professional I rely on my phone when I am out of the office. I did quite a bit of research before making the switch to make sure the Android could do what I want. My absolute requirements were: Web browsing, Remote Desktop, ActiveSync Exchange Sync and Push, Tethering, Word/Excel Editing and txt msg. The Moment does all of this easily. In fact the only apps I had to purchase was Documents2Go for the Office documents and PDANet for tethering. I do miss WifiRouter, but I used it with a USB cable anyway just to keep the device charged so Im not missing much.

To answer the previous queston. Yes the Moment comes with a very capable Exchange client called Moxier Mail. I tried the other two popular Exchange clients you can purchase: RoadSync and TouchDown and I ended up going back to Moxier for several of my own quirky reasons. RoadRunner is really nice it just wouldn't allow a custom From address to be entered. Moxier will provide ActiveSync Push for Mail, Contacts, Calendars and Notes.

Your original question really does depend on what you do with your device. For me it did everything the TP did and more, but I don't really care about Nuance.

The only two gripes are the same as most. Both of which I hope will be fixed in an update soon:
1) The battery meter is way off (the phone still lasts a long time, but the meter thinks it is way lower than it is). This can be helped through several days of cycling the battery guage.

2) GPS is way off. It is worth pointing out that the TP GPS was off (laggy) by almost as much anyway.

And, yeah it would be nice to have Flash. But remember the TP didn't inherently have flash either so maybe I just haven't found the app for the Moment that gives us flash.

Richard

Last edited by ramiss; 11-22-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:45 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

unclefishbits is a n00b

I have heard about the GPS issues... but I can confirm that Sprint confirmed a 2.1 upgrade. http://www.androidguys.com/2009/12/1...ro-and-moment/
BOO YAH! (sorry for the silly excitement)

read my HUGE ramble about how I ended up buying the Moment.. literally right *NOW* here: http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...=1#post2265212
Old 12-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

vernonlbrown is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvernonlbrown is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvernonlbrown is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvernonlbrown is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvernonlbrown is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to vernonlbrown

I switched from the Tp to a Moment and I must say that I love it. Apps are stupid fast plus there are plenty of apps to load up. I even have the HTC keyboard loaded on to my Moment. I like this phone just trying to figure out the dam thing and how to get certain things working. Your best bet, would be to go to Best Buy b/c they have a 30 day return policy and play with it for that period. Also you would need to go to the Sprint store to restore your contacts into that phone.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Sprint has a 30 also, store or web.

Got my wife the Moment last night, and im saying... whew dayum! Im a 'power user' of my TP, and sheesh, this thing kills the TP in performance, despite the 'slower' proc than the Hero.

Yea, im looking to switch myself i think. Only thing holding me back, mostly cause i havent had time to research far enough is the ability to use my internal network at home, and ftp away. I like to be able to access anything on my computer from my phone, listen to music w/e, but also need to be able to u/l something to my web server if im away, one thing ive NEVER been able to do with the TP, cause i cant find a usable ftp program for WinMo. I like my TP, hate having to reset it (3 times today in one hours time *sigh*) but miss being with Samsung for barely the 2nd time in 10 years.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond

kearney is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon Pro View Post
Sprint has a 30 also, store or web.

Got my wife the Moment last night, and im saying... whew dayum! Im a 'power user' of my TP, and sheesh, this thing kills the TP in performance, despite the 'slower' proc than the Hero.

Yea, im looking to switch myself i think. Only thing holding me back, mostly cause i havent had time to research far enough is the ability to use my internal network at home, and ftp away. I like to be able to access anything on my computer from my phone, listen to music w/e, but also need to be able to u/l something to my web server if im away, one thing ive NEVER been able to do with the TP, cause i cant find a usable ftp program for WinMo. I like my TP, hate having to reset it (3 times today in one hours time *sigh*) but miss being with Samsung for barely the 2nd time in 10 years.
The Moment has an 800mhz proc, which is way faster then the TP or TP2.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Yea, but i didnt compare it to them did i? LOL

At least the salesman said it that way, or maybe i misunderstood it.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:03 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc evo 3d
Carrier: sprint

joeykrim is keeping up the good workjoeykrim is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

this thread has been super helpful. im currently on the touch pro and keep debating whether or not I should move to the moment. feature wise it sounds like the moment supports most of the common tasks the touch pro does.

im hesitant to switch because sprint is forcing me to switch cell phone plans. if i dont like the moment, im stuck on a newer plan paying $10-$20 more a month for nothing.

i have a ton of quirks on my touch pro: sometimes it wont allow me to hang up, if i have messaging open and slide open the keyboard it shuts messaging, etc.
has anybody found any tasks or features they used on their touch pro which the moment doesnt do as well? everything here has seemed to be really supportive and encouraging to move to the moment!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Well i pushed and got the Moment, at least itll be instore tomorrow for pickup. Turns out theres a damn good reason nobody is getting the phone they want for the TP1. Found out today that HTC themselves made the list up of phones that they will replace the TP with, or at least, reimburse Sprint for those trades. Thats why some people have been getting the run around on getting the TP2 (which i declined) or others.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

mbg19 is just getting started

Is it possible to trade in a Touch pro for credit to get a Moment? paying 479 doesnt look pretty
Old 12-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

From what i understand, you can use the buy back for $78 lol.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment