PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
Re: From Touch Pro to Moment?

Hey, you raise a good point on Nuance, which is part of why I was hoping for a dialog here. What are the differences you're noticing? One thing I really do rely on in MSVC is its ability to tell me in my headset who's calling, as well as read me the subject lines of emails as well as incoming texts. Does it have that ability at all?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Eclipsi01 is just getting started

I just ditched my TP and picked up the Moment today. I actually bought the Hero yesterday but returned it today in favor of the Moment. The only complaint I have right now is the difficulty in syncing with Outlook.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Timeless
Threadstarter

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

With Outlook, or Exchange? Are you syncing with your computer directly, or with an Exchange server (if that's even possible out-of-the-box in the Moment)? I currently sync with Exchange, in addition to three Gmail-based accounts (one straight, two hosted), so that is a consideration for me. I know there are challenges, but I'm not terribly concerned, just curious.

As for syncing with the computer, since all my data's currently synced to the cloud, I'm not extremely concerned about this. What's been your experience with syncing in general so far?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Eclipsi01 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool View Post
With Outlook, or Exchange? Are you syncing with your computer directly, or with an Exchange server (if that's even possible out-of-the-box in the Moment)? I currently sync with Exchange, in addition to three Gmail-based accounts (one straight, two hosted), so that is a consideration for me. I know there are challenges, but I'm not terribly concerned, just curious.

As for syncing with the computer, since all my data's currently synced to the cloud, I'm not extremely concerned about this. What's been your experience with syncing in general so far?
Well, it is possible to get your outlook contacts onto the phone. You've just gotta sync to Google then sync to your phone. Not too cumbersome but would suck doing it daily. It's supposed to sync to exchange with no problem but I'm not using exchange.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Timeless
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsi01 View Post
Well, it is possible to get your outlook contacts onto the phone. You've just gotta sync to Google then sync to your phone. Not too cumbersome but would suck doing it daily. It's supposed to sync to exchange with no problem but I'm not using exchange.
Yeah, I'm aware of that option, but no way I'm doing that. I've got other methods. But overall Exchange support, including push mail, is something I'd need for work.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Moment

tphone is becoming a great contributor

Yes, it's possible using TTS from the market. I don't like the voice much, it seems they tried and succeeded in making it sound like the android robot.
Many apps are TTS aware, you just have to search for them among the thousand of them out there. There is also an app to announce your calendar appointments.
One other thing I forgot to mention. It's very nice to make changes on your Google calendar and have the changes on your phone almost before you pick it up.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Lurker

andersonj55126 is a n00b

I switched from TP to Moment about 2 weeks ago and I am very pleased. My TP did not have any major problems like many seem to have. I had no problem syncing with work email, contacts and calendar.

Pros
Like the voice mail, no more calling into get them
Battery life
App store
Fast
Very stable and have not had to do the every other day soft boots that TP needed.

Cons
Sprint TV is not as clear on moment
Vibrator is less noticeable

No opinion on camera yet.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:09 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

dth4310 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to dth4310

I made the same switch (Apache>TP>Moment)

I was sick of WinMO, but i didn't realize how accustomed i was to it.

My take:

Pros:
-screen beautiful - and capacitative is much more natural feeling
-app store makes android. so many things...for free, on demand
-syncs exchange out of the box via moxier mail app acceptably...though GAL access is confusing at best
-Android allows you to use any app to do anything, and it's natural. for instance...in my picture gallery, i hit the share button, and i'm presented with the option to share via gmail, work email, facebook, twitter, etc. (whatever you have installed that will take a picture as an input)

Cons:
-sooo different than winmo in that it's decentralized...from figuring out task managers to installing a completely seperate app to manage SMS..and a seperate spot to manage audio alerts for each app
-built in voice command SUXORS...and tends to find google contacts prior to exchange (when all my "good" contacts are in exchange - i could clean this up to fix it)
-no tethering (miss my wmwifirouterfree.cab)
-doesn't use the same mini-usb connection i've accumulated 16 adapters and cables for (cheap-o "micro" usb cables that fit moment available on meritline.com)
-non-integrated office document support (free read-only apps)

In summary...even with its shortcomings..i can accept it. It's a new toy to play with, and with subsequent OS updates and hopefully soon-to-be-rooting, i should be able to close the gaps I currently have with it. Plus, Android is exploding right now with so many new devices - the app store is only going to get bigger, cooler, and just as free (for the most part).
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:00 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I can give you my opinion as far as your comment about the Moment perhaps not being a "big enough step forward"; The TP2 is no step forward from your TP by comparison as far a gadgets go.

-CC
Old 11-21-2009, 06:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G (June 4), HTC Hero, Touch Pro 2, Nexus One

kenny21 is becoming a great contributor

I just got my moment today and retired my tp. Really its more about getting used to the small changes. At first I was thinking I may have made a huge mistake like i did with the instinct, but as I have used it the performance is awesome and there are so many apps that just about match what I had on my tp. I have my voicemails and all that read to me just like voice command and syncing my contacts to google wasn't all that difficult. The 2 problems I have is the battery life and the tethering issue, which I'm sure we'll all find an answer to soon. Overall its kicking the tp's butt so far as speed and responsiveness. I hope this helps.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment