PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul 6800
Carrier: sprint

mozot is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Returned the hero for a moment

On sunday I returned my hero and picked up a moment.

I decided to do it primarily based on the faster hardware and coming from the touch pro, I missed my hardware keyboard.

The hero seemed to run a little bit slow, and i had difficulties with getting movies to play on it and overall laggyness (which i think is from the very pretty sense ui).

In the end i went into sprint with my sd card and put it in the moment and all my movies that i had converted and could not play nicely on my hero, played perfect on the moment.

I do miss the sense ui a bit, it looks much nicer than the default droid look of the moment but it also failed at 2 large things i believe to be important with a custom ui like that. That is that it seems to lag the device a little bit and second under no circumstances do i ever need 2/3 of the bottom of my screen taken up by a "phone" soft button when there is a hard button 1/4" away.

One disappointment is the compass in the moment, it either does not work nearly as well as the hero or is not present.

That all being say, i am happy with the moment... i guess, its not perfect, its larger, and experience tells me that slide out keyboards lead to clunkyness over time.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch

nitussi is just getting started
Re: Returned the hero for a moment

I did too based on the same reasons. The keyboard is ok, but it feels a lil cheaply like the "samsung rant's" keyboard, but that beautiful screen and zippy cpu sold the deal.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

dmora01 is just getting started

I did the same yesterday and let me tell you, what a difference! runs very good and I have a better battery life! I am sure now that the problem with the phones I had (mogul, diamond, pro and hero) is because they are HTC. They never fixed the bugs in any of them and I did not want to way if the fix the hero or bring another bugs, the always fix one and bring two more!
I am not going back to htc!
I feel the Moment more solid and stable and I have better signal in my area!
The only problem is that opera mini don't work but the original browser works a lot better with that cpu!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; SPH-M900 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmora01
I did the same yesterday and let me tell you, what a difference! runs very good and I have a better battery life! I am sure now that the problem with the phones I had (mogul, diamond, pro and hero) is because they are HTC. They never fixed the bugs in any of them and I did not want to way if the fix the hero or bring another bugs, the always fix one and bring two more!
I am not going back to htc!
I feel the Moment more solid and stable and I have better signal in my area!
The only problem is that opera mini don't work but the original browser works a lot better with that cpu!
Agree wit you about not going back to HTC. The touch pro left a bad taste in my mouth
Old 11-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Sprint)

mobstaj is just getting started

I tried 3 different Hero's and had dust collect under the screens of all 3. Sprint reps tried to tell me it was a cosmetic defect. I think they ended up giving me the Moment for that last Hero to make me finally shut up and go away. I've had a Touch, Touch diamond, and Touch pro, none have ever had that problem before.

Now that I have the Moment I am very happy I was forced to change. This thing is much smoother and zippier than the Hero was. Sometimes I miss the glitz of Sense UI but there are tons of other options on the HTC market for customization. Web browsing is way faster and I don't miss the multitouch at all. It was sickening having to wait for the screen to rotate and then wait again as my fingers typed faster than the keyboard could keep up on the Hero. The display is beautiful but not game changing. I am having some problems with the battery meter not representing actual remaining charge which will hopefully be fixed in a software update sooner rather than later. Android 2.0 would really make this phone worth while.

Another thing I noticed, the Hero does GPS much better as of now. I guess somehow HTC was able to get aGPS working on android 1.5. Once the Moment is upgraded to 1.6 or 2.0 the fixes should be instantaneous. My fixes have been instant outside but inside takes a while for accuracy.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: treowx

derrickmd18 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to derrickmd18 Send a message via Yahoo to derrickmd18

ok the moment browser does it have flash?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo 4g

toenail is keeping up the good worktoenail is keeping up the good work

my daughter has the moment and my wife has the hero.. i gotta admit i actually like the hero better, i use a diamond so im soo used to the touch keyboard over the pullout, and as far as size factor goes.. well i think the hero is perfect whereas the moment is a little to big for my taste.. but boy do i love android

Last edited by toenail; 11-07-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickmd18 View Post
ok the moment browser does it have flash?
Unfortunately not. Altho, I visit sites with flash on it and it loads just fine.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: treowx

derrickmd18 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to derrickmd18 Send a message via Yahoo to derrickmd18

yeah thats the thing that's stopping me from getting the moment. i have a treo 800w and i use skyfire to view sites with flash. any one know when it would be available for the moment?
Old 11-06-2009, 11:48 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment from Vouge

Mr_wrong_0 is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to Mr_wrong_0

I think I'll pick up the moment instead of the hero but I'm worried that I won't be able to root it and make it my own. I hope there are enough developers wanting to pick up the moment over the hero.

Last edited by Mr_wrong_0; 11-06-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: type-o

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment