PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Moment (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Returned the hero for a moment (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=94829)

mozot 11-05-2009 05:22 PM

Returned the hero for a moment

On sunday I returned my hero and picked up a moment.

I decided to do it primarily based on the faster hardware and coming from the touch pro, I missed my hardware keyboard.

The hero seemed to run a little bit slow, and i had difficulties with getting movies to play on it and overall laggyness (which i think is from the very pretty sense ui).

In the end i went into sprint with my sd card and put it in the moment and all my movies that i had converted and could not play nicely on my hero, played perfect on the moment.

I do miss the sense ui a bit, it looks much nicer than the default droid look of the moment but it also failed at 2 large things i believe to be important with a custom ui like that. That is that it seems to lag the device a little bit and second under no circumstances do i ever need 2/3 of the bottom of my screen taken up by a "phone" soft button when there is a hard button 1/4" away.

One disappointment is the compass in the moment, it either does not work nearly as well as the hero or is not present.

That all being say, i am happy with the moment... i guess, its not perfect, its larger, and experience tells me that slide out keyboards lead to clunkyness over time.

nitussi 11-05-2009 05:41 PM

Re: Returned the hero for a moment

I did too based on the same reasons. The keyboard is ok, but it feels a lil cheaply like the "samsung rant's" keyboard, but that beautiful screen and zippy cpu sold the deal.

dmora01 11-05-2009 06:00 PM

I did the same yesterday and let me tell you, what a difference! runs very good and I have a better battery life! I am sure now that the problem with the phones I had (mogul, diamond, pro and hero) is because they are HTC. They never fixed the bugs in any of them and I did not want to way if the fix the hero or bring another bugs, the always fix one and bring two more!
I am not going back to htc!
I feel the Moment more solid and stable and I have better signal in my area!
The only problem is that opera mini don't work but the original browser works a lot better with that cpu!

blazinazn 11-05-2009 07:02 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; SPH-M900 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmora01
I did the same yesterday and let me tell you, what a difference! runs very good and I have a better battery life! I am sure now that the problem with the phones I had (mogul, diamond, pro and hero) is because they are HTC. They never fixed the bugs in any of them and I did not want to way if the fix the hero or bring another bugs, the always fix one and bring two more!
I am not going back to htc!
I feel the Moment more solid and stable and I have better signal in my area!
The only problem is that opera mini don't work but the original browser works a lot better with that cpu!

Agree wit you about not going back to HTC. The touch pro left a bad taste in my mouth

mobstaj 11-05-2009 10:59 PM

I tried 3 different Hero's and had dust collect under the screens of all 3. Sprint reps tried to tell me it was a cosmetic defect. I think they ended up giving me the Moment for that last Hero to make me finally shut up and go away. I've had a Touch, Touch diamond, and Touch pro, none have ever had that problem before.

Now that I have the Moment I am very happy I was forced to change. This thing is much smoother and zippier than the Hero was. Sometimes I miss the glitz of Sense UI but there are tons of other options on the HTC market for customization. Web browsing is way faster and I don't miss the multitouch at all. It was sickening having to wait for the screen to rotate and then wait again as my fingers typed faster than the keyboard could keep up on the Hero. The display is beautiful but not game changing. I am having some problems with the battery meter not representing actual remaining charge which will hopefully be fixed in a software update sooner rather than later. Android 2.0 would really make this phone worth while.

Another thing I noticed, the Hero does GPS much better as of now. I guess somehow HTC was able to get aGPS working on android 1.5. Once the Moment is upgraded to 1.6 or 2.0 the fixes should be instantaneous. My fixes have been instant outside but inside takes a while for accuracy.

derrickmd18 11-06-2009 12:19 AM

ok the moment browser does it have flash?

toenail 11-06-2009 03:08 AM

my daughter has the moment and my wife has the hero.. i gotta admit i actually like the hero better, i use a diamond so im soo used to the touch keyboard over the pullout, and as far as size factor goes.. well i think the hero is perfect whereas the moment is a little to big for my taste.. but boy do i love android

blazinazn 11-06-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derrickmd18 (Post 1303237)
ok the moment browser does it have flash?

Unfortunately not. Altho, I visit sites with flash on it and it loads just fine.

derrickmd18 11-06-2009 10:31 AM

yeah thats the thing that's stopping me from getting the moment. i have a treo 800w and i use skyfire to view sites with flash. any one know when it would be available for the moment?

Mr_wrong_0 11-06-2009 11:48 AM

I think I'll pick up the moment instead of the hero but I'm worried that I won't be able to root it and make it my own. I hope there are enough developers wanting to pick up the moment over the hero.