PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn
Samsung Moment

Any chance the moment can get a thread?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff
That could take a moment...

Couldn't help myself, sorry!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; SPH-M900 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuguy
That could take a moment...

Couldn't help myself, sorry!
Bada bing lol

Last edited by blazinazn; 11-02-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

datawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuff
Re: Samsung Moment

blazinazn,

What do you think of your new toy, and how does it compare to what you had before?

-Doc

Sprint Touch Pro
MightyROM 4.16
Old 11-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by datawrhsdoc View Post
blazinazn,

What do you think of your new toy, and how does it compare to what you had before?

-Doc
my inital impressions after playing with it all day yesterday:

Hardware: Solid. Feels solid. It is heavy but I kind of like that. The keyboard will take some getting used to coming from a HTC Touch Pro but I like it nonetheless. I like how it has a dedicated search button. Screen is AH-maze-ing. All I gotta say. It's fast...fast...fast. Some people may not prefer a vanilla OS but I prefer it that way. It works a lot better and you can customize how you want it.

Software: Like I was saying above, I like the vanilla OS. Coming from an HTC Touch Pro, it's like a breathe of fresh air. I'm over the whole looks nice but works like crap thing. Which is what I think the Hero is. It may look cool but I'm looking for functionality and stability when it comes down to it. The sense UI just bogs down the phone which already has a slower processor (on the hero). Most of the time people just disable it anyways. The onscreen keyboard is frustrating but usable. This is THE main reason why I went with the Moment instead of the Hero. The word prediction and auto completion is a nice feature. This feature on the Touch Pro was painful at best. It bogged down the phone and made it lag something fierce.

Battery life is leaps and bounds better than the HTC Touch pro. Just for reference. I have been streaming live radio on my phone since 7am this morning. Have done some light surfing and texting. It is now 9am and I still have about 3/4 battery left. I can't explain how stoked I am about that... I streamed live radio on the TP and it wouldn't last 2 hours and you could cook eggs on that thing.

It may seem like I'm bashing on HTC because I am. I don't think I'll ever buy another HTC phone. The build quality was terrible on the TP. I went through 3 of them things. The keyboard stopped working on the first 2. I take really good care of my phones and don't ever drop them so I know it wasn't me. It seemed like a lot of people had defective hardware. Where is the quality control!? I feel like HTC is spread way to thin and are releasing sooooo many phones, they don't really put in the time or effort to make a really solid product, but that's just my humble opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Anyways, I loooooooooooooove the moment. I couldn't be happier. I honestly don't care if Sprint doesn't release an update to donut or 2.0 because the phone works so well now. I will probably update if they do come out but it's not like I'm scouring the internet waiting for any kind of firmware update or fix like I was with the TP.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

datawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuff

Sounds like a nice experience.

Yes, I agree that the build quality on the HTC phones is crap. Never had one last more than four months. With the TP I've had keyboard fails, multiple USB port fails, screen fails, etc., and I protect the hell out of my devices. Same story on the Mogul. In fact, I've had yet another USB fail on my TP (won't sync this time), and am hoping Sprint will let me swap over to the Moment.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:44 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

+1 Moment thread / sub forum please.

I would also like to see more on hand reviews guys
Old 11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Lurker

oxsolid is a n00b

+1 Moment thread / sub forum please.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVOlution
Carrier: Sprint Everything Plus - Fresh Evo 3.1.0.1

Journeyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJourneyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJourneyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJourneyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to Journeyjeans

Thanks for the review! +1 for forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinazn View Post
my inital impressions after playing with it all day yesterday:

Hardware: Solid. Feels solid. It is heavy but I kind of like that. The keyboard will take some getting used to coming from a HTC Touch Pro but I like it nonetheless. I like how it has a dedicated search button. Screen is AH-maze-ing. All I gotta say. It's fast...fast...fast. Some people may not prefer a vanilla OS but I prefer it that way. It works a lot better and you can customize how you want it.

Software: Like I was saying above, I like the vanilla OS. Coming from an HTC Touch Pro, it's like a breathe of fresh air. I'm over the whole looks nice but works like crap thing. Which is what I think the Hero is. It may look cool but I'm looking for functionality and stability when it comes down to it. The sense UI just bogs down the phone which already has a slower processor (on the hero). Most of the time people just disable it anyways. The onscreen keyboard is frustrating but usable. This is THE main reason why I went with the Moment instead of the Hero. The word prediction and auto completion is a nice feature. This feature on the Touch Pro was painful at best. It bogged down the phone and made it lag something fierce.

Battery life is leaps and bounds better than the HTC Touch pro. Just for reference. I have been streaming live radio on my phone since 7am this morning. Have done some light surfing and texting. It is now 9am and I still have about 3/4 battery left. I can't explain how stoked I am about that... I streamed live radio on the TP and it wouldn't last 2 hours and you could cook eggs on that thing.

It may seem like I'm bashing on HTC because I am. I don't think I'll ever buy another HTC phone. The build quality was terrible on the TP. I went through 3 of them things. The keyboard stopped working on the first 2. I take really good care of my phones and don't ever drop them so I know it wasn't me. It seemed like a lot of people had defective hardware. Where is the quality control!? I feel like HTC is spread way to thin and are releasing sooooo many phones, they don't really put in the time or effort to make a really solid product, but that's just my humble opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Anyways, I loooooooooooooove the moment. I couldn't be happier. I honestly don't care if Sprint doesn't release an update to donut or 2.0 because the phone works so well now. I will probably update if they do come out but it's not like I'm scouring the internet waiting for any kind of firmware update or fix like I was with the TP.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

BethyM is just getting started

Great review, Thanks! I'll be keeping an eye here, I've got friends and family who are up for new phones in the next few months and I think this maybe a good choice.

How is it from a 'non-technical' user perspective? I love my TP2, but know that they are not in anyway interested in tinkering with it the way I am.

+1 for the review.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment