PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Moment (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Samsung Moment (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=94123)

blazinazn 11-02-2009 08:50 AM

Samsung Moment

Any chance the moment can get a thread?

nuguy 11-02-2009 10:44 AM

That could take a moment...

Couldn't help myself, sorry!

blazinazn 11-02-2009 10:49 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; SPH-M900 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuguy
That could take a moment...

Couldn't help myself, sorry!

Bada bing lol

datawrhsdoc 11-02-2009 10:52 AM

Re: Samsung Moment

blazinazn,

What do you think of your new toy, and how does it compare to what you had before?

-Doc

blazinazn 11-02-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawrhsdoc (Post 1289747)
blazinazn,

What do you think of your new toy, and how does it compare to what you had before?

-Doc

my inital impressions after playing with it all day yesterday:

Hardware: Solid. Feels solid. It is heavy but I kind of like that. The keyboard will take some getting used to coming from a HTC Touch Pro but I like it nonetheless. I like how it has a dedicated search button. Screen is AH-maze-ing. All I gotta say. It's fast...fast...fast. Some people may not prefer a vanilla OS but I prefer it that way. It works a lot better and you can customize how you want it.

Software: Like I was saying above, I like the vanilla OS. Coming from an HTC Touch Pro, it's like a breathe of fresh air. I'm over the whole looks nice but works like crap thing. Which is what I think the Hero is. It may look cool but I'm looking for functionality and stability when it comes down to it. The sense UI just bogs down the phone which already has a slower processor (on the hero). Most of the time people just disable it anyways. The onscreen keyboard is frustrating but usable. This is THE main reason why I went with the Moment instead of the Hero. The word prediction and auto completion is a nice feature. This feature on the Touch Pro was painful at best. It bogged down the phone and made it lag something fierce.

Battery life is leaps and bounds better than the HTC Touch pro. Just for reference. I have been streaming live radio on my phone since 7am this morning. Have done some light surfing and texting. It is now 9am and I still have about 3/4 battery left. I can't explain how stoked I am about that... I streamed live radio on the TP and it wouldn't last 2 hours and you could cook eggs on that thing.

It may seem like I'm bashing on HTC because I am. I don't think I'll ever buy another HTC phone. The build quality was terrible on the TP. I went through 3 of them things. The keyboard stopped working on the first 2. I take really good care of my phones and don't ever drop them so I know it wasn't me. It seemed like a lot of people had defective hardware. Where is the quality control!? I feel like HTC is spread way to thin and are releasing sooooo many phones, they don't really put in the time or effort to make a really solid product, but that's just my humble opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Anyways, I loooooooooooooove the moment. I couldn't be happier. I honestly don't care if Sprint doesn't release an update to donut or 2.0 because the phone works so well now. I will probably update if they do come out but it's not like I'm scouring the internet waiting for any kind of firmware update or fix like I was with the TP.

datawrhsdoc 11-02-2009 11:37 AM

Sounds like a nice experience.

Yes, I agree that the build quality on the HTC phones is crap. Never had one last more than four months. With the TP I've had keyboard fails, multiple USB port fails, screen fails, etc., and I protect the hell out of my devices. Same story on the Mogul. In fact, I've had yet another USB fail on my TP (won't sync this time), and am hoping Sprint will let me swap over to the Moment.

clockcycle 11-02-2009 01:44 PM

+1 Moment thread / sub forum please.

I would also like to see more on hand reviews guys :)

oxsolid 11-02-2009 02:04 PM

+1 Moment thread / sub forum please.

Journeyjeans 11-02-2009 03:58 PM

Thanks for the review! +1 for forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazinazn (Post 1289764)
my inital impressions after playing with it all day yesterday:

Hardware: Solid. Feels solid. It is heavy but I kind of like that. The keyboard will take some getting used to coming from a HTC Touch Pro but I like it nonetheless. I like how it has a dedicated search button. Screen is AH-maze-ing. All I gotta say. It's fast...fast...fast. Some people may not prefer a vanilla OS but I prefer it that way. It works a lot better and you can customize how you want it.

Software: Like I was saying above, I like the vanilla OS. Coming from an HTC Touch Pro, it's like a breathe of fresh air. I'm over the whole looks nice but works like crap thing. Which is what I think the Hero is. It may look cool but I'm looking for functionality and stability when it comes down to it. The sense UI just bogs down the phone which already has a slower processor (on the hero). Most of the time people just disable it anyways. The onscreen keyboard is frustrating but usable. This is THE main reason why I went with the Moment instead of the Hero. The word prediction and auto completion is a nice feature. This feature on the Touch Pro was painful at best. It bogged down the phone and made it lag something fierce.

Battery life is leaps and bounds better than the HTC Touch pro. Just for reference. I have been streaming live radio on my phone since 7am this morning. Have done some light surfing and texting. It is now 9am and I still have about 3/4 battery left. I can't explain how stoked I am about that... I streamed live radio on the TP and it wouldn't last 2 hours and you could cook eggs on that thing.

It may seem like I'm bashing on HTC because I am. I don't think I'll ever buy another HTC phone. The build quality was terrible on the TP. I went through 3 of them things. The keyboard stopped working on the first 2. I take really good care of my phones and don't ever drop them so I know it wasn't me. It seemed like a lot of people had defective hardware. Where is the quality control!? I feel like HTC is spread way to thin and are releasing sooooo many phones, they don't really put in the time or effort to make a really solid product, but that's just my humble opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Anyways, I loooooooooooooove the moment. I couldn't be happier. I honestly don't care if Sprint doesn't release an update to donut or 2.0 because the phone works so well now. I will probably update if they do come out but it's not like I'm scouring the internet waiting for any kind of firmware update or fix like I was with the TP.

BethyM 11-03-2009 10:22 AM

Great review, Thanks! I'll be keeping an eye here, I've got friends and family who are up for new phones in the next few months and I think this maybe a good choice.

How is it from a 'non-technical' user perspective? I love my TP2, but know that they are not in anyway interested in tinkering with it the way I am.

+1 for the review.