PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dantichrist is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Samsung Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinazn View Post
It may seem like I'm bashing on HTC because I am. I don't think I'll ever buy another HTC phone. The build quality was terrible on the TP. I went through 3 of them things. The keyboard stopped working on the first 2. I take really good care of my phones and don't ever drop them so I know it wasn't me. It seemed like a lot of people had defective hardware. Where is the quality control!? I feel like HTC is spread way to thin and are releasing sooooo many phones, they don't really put in the time or effort to make a really solid product, but that's just my humble opinion. Take it for what it's worth.
I found this thread because I'm looking at making the same move.

After my Mogul, and this TP I'm done with HTC's over priced, non-functional garbage for good. And Windows mobile too for that matter. Some people have put out some EXCELLENT ROM's for the TP, but it unfortunately doesn't make up for crappy hardware or design. My grandpa used to say "you can't polish a turd" and sadly, flash after flash, that's all I've been trying to do. I really expected a lot more from the TP for the amount of dough I paid for it. In the end, it's not even as good as the Mogul as far as stability goes. Definitely not for the price. /vent lol

Thanks for this info, it's much appreciated, and I think I'll be doing the same switch very soon!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

bvpredator is a n00b

I just picked up the Moment and so far I have to say I love it! I'm coming from the Sprint Touch that I've had for a couple of years. I was sooo tired of not having a qwerty-board, and just plain sick of the on-screen only version. I was running a nice custom ROM, which helped some of the issues I had, primarily it's delayed GPS communications. Unfortunately nothing seemed to help prevent it's constant input lag and sometimes complete freezes.

The Moment is the complete opposite. Yes, maybe the interface is a little simple since it's raw android 1.5, but I like it. It's very fast and responsive, I've only seen a small amount of input lag in the android market, but everything else seems to function terrifically. Just keeping my fingers crossed that Samsung, Sprint, AND Google don't let me down by never upgrading to 2.0.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Osz
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moment!

Osz is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Osz

OK so few quick questions. Thinking about upgrading and debating between the Tp2, Hero and moment.

I read that the Moment doesn't have sync with the PC. That true? Can you still hook it up and use it as a hard drive to drop files in it?

And the basic difference between the Moment and Hero is; Layout and Vanilla OS, and Manufacturer. You still have all the available apps you get on the Hero? Also read the screen quality is 32 bit instead of 16 with the hero. So I'm assuming it must look brilliant! and your able to create/edit Microsoft formats as easily as with the TP?

Good to know about the battery life, def. plus!

Any cripes with the phone? Just wanna get my facts all straight before I invest in one. sooooo I think thats about it. thanks Ya'll!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC hero

jjday7 is keeping up the good workjjday7 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osz View Post
OK so few quick questions. Thinking about upgrading and debating between the Tp2, Hero and moment.

I read that the Moment doesn't have sync with the PC. That true? Can you still hook it up and use it as a hard drive to drop files in it?

And the basic difference between the Moment and Hero is; Layout and Vanilla OS, and Manufacturer. You still have all the available apps you get on the Hero? Also read the screen quality is 32 bit instead of 16 with the hero. So I'm assuming it must look brilliant! and your able to create/edit Microsoft formats as easily as with the TP?

Good to know about the battery life, def. plus!

Any cripes with the phone? Just wanna get my facts all straight before I invest in one. sooooo I think thats about it. thanks Ya'll!
I was gonna swap my hero for the moment, but after three attempts with different phones at different stores, I couldn't get a lock on gps and that is a big problem to me. Tried resetting the phone and even reloading sprint nav. Google maps, shop savvy, and sprint nav and anything else using gps will be crippled. I know people are getting a lock here and there but the concensus from this site and other sites show that this problem is widespread. Sprint reps didn't even know there was a issue.

If it wasn't for the problem, I would have already gotten the moment over the hero just for the keyboard.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

chibucks is keeping up the good workchibucks is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Yes, you can mount the Moment and drop files onto the SD card.

Quote:
Biggest gripes have been the GPS issue and the faulty battery indicator.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:12 AM
Lurker

flyingwolf is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjday7 View Post
I was gonna swap my hero for the moment, but after three attempts with different phones at different stores, I couldn't get a lock on gps and that is a big problem to me. Tried resetting the phone and even reloading sprint nav. Google maps, shop savvy, and sprint nav and anything else using gps will be crippled. I know people are getting a lock here and there but the concensus from this site and other sites show that this problem is widespread. Sprint reps didn't even know there was a issue.

If it wasn't for the problem, I would have already gotten the moment over the hero just for the keyboard.
So while sitting inside of a, most likely, metal constructed store without a view of the sky you could not get a GPS lock for a satellite in space, will wonders never cease.

I drove from Ohio to North Carolina and back last week and never had a problem with GPS.

But then driving around town I do sometimes have problems, so it is not a clear cut situation.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC hero

jjday7 is keeping up the good workjjday7 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwolf View Post
So while sitting inside of a, most likely, metal constructed store without a view of the sky you could not get a GPS lock for a satellite in space, will wonders never cease.

I drove from Ohio to North Carolina and back last week and never had a problem with GPS.

But then driving around town I do sometimes have problems, so it is not a clear cut situation.
JUst to let you know, the hero sitting directly next to it locked in less than 5 second at 2 stores. Your excuse was the sprints reps also till I showed the hero did it instantly. Can you explain that? They couldn't....
Old 12-04-2009, 07:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
JUst to let you know, the hero sitting directly next to it locked in less than 5 second at 2 stores. Your excuse was the sprints reps also till I showed the hero did it instantly. Can you explain that? They couldn't....
5 seconds means someone else was playing with the unit and/or it's quickgps settings were up to date (probably is it hasn't moved from the same place it got the last lock)..

I've gotten quick locks after leaving the unit searching for few minutes while inside a building surrounded by buildings. No QuickGPS on the Moment, so it's gotta find the location of the Sats every time.

Sprint Nav almost instantly finds me after I load it. Google Maps does not find me instantly, unless I've pre-loaded Sprint Nav.

Last edited by clockcycle; 12-04-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Lurker

flyingwolf is a n00b

Quote:
There Hero is not running 1.5 of Android and therefore works correctly on the agps meaning it does not need a view of the sky.
Secondly if it locked that fast, as the previous poster pointed out, it was most likely using the quick gps and had previously obtained a lock at the store and not been moved since it was most likely attached to a nice metal tether.

So yes, I can explain it, the sprint rep most likely is simply working his way through his liberal arts degree and does not care about phones, or could tell by your line of questioning that you were trying to lead him to a fight and simply did not care to continue it with you.

Where as I, with the anonymity of the internet and lack of a job at the current time thanks to corporate downsizing, have a bit of time on my hands.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: samsung moment
Carrier: sprint

cheech7262 is a n00b

So, I have a question for someone with the Samsung moment and I am new to this whole forum thing. Does anyone know how to get the media manager from samsung to recognize this phone? I can load the whole media manager on the computer but it never does recognize the phone hooked up. I would really like to load my music and stuff on this phone without having to move everything to a memory card and all that.
Thanks

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment