PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

diamondcanopy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS without cell reception

I recently tried using the Moment GPS in a remote part of eastern Russia, and it would not lock on to any satellites no matter how long I left the thing searching. I tried messing with a bunch of settings, with no results.

Has anyone had success using the GPS without WiFi or cell reception after traveling to the other side of the world?

Thanks,

Canopy
Old 08-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla
Re: GPS without cell reception

What program are you using for GPS out of curiosity?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Threadstarter

diamondcanopy is a n00b

I've tried a number of programs, including "GPS status" "GPS test" and Oruxmaps. None work.

I know for some of these devices, the last location with a cell connection is used to determine which satellites to seek (something to that effect anyways). I'm thinking maybe since the last service location was literally on the other side of the globe, the whole thing just fails. The hardware is working fine otherwise.

So some offline version of quickgps where you can manually enter your approximate lat/long would be great, but I dont even know how the thing really works, tbh.

Canopy
Old 10-06-2010, 10:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC One

kaossyphany is just getting started

Out of curiosity have you tried a bluetooth gps receiver?

If by some miracle I actual help you, please don't forget to thank me!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, HTC Evo, BB9670, Samsung Epic

wudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondcanopy View Post
I recently tried using the Moment GPS in a remote part of eastern Russia, and it would not lock on to any satellites no matter how long I left the thing searching. I tried messing with a bunch of settings, with no results.

Has anyone had success using the GPS without WiFi or cell reception after traveling to the other side of the world?

Thanks,

Canopy
Mine doesn't work unless the phone is activated with cell service.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

I am using "bluetooth gps provider" which recently went free in the marketplace, usually $2.99 I belive, with a couple of holux bluetooth dongles and co-pilot works great sans cell reception.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

I use my Moment when I am hiking and although I can use the bluetooth with the GPS receiver when I get into the middle of nowhere the phone is constantly searching for a signal. After a little bit of research I stumbled on (Phone-> *#4636*1111# -> Phone Information -> Turn Off Radio) which allows you to turn off the cell radio and leave bluetooth on if it was turned on beforehand. I don’t know how I would prove that the cell radio is indeed off but the phone is showing airplane mode with zero signal and I am getting a Wi-Fi connection and a connection to an external GPS. If you use this method Wi-Fi setting can be changed but bluetooth settings have to be made before turning the cell radio off. It would be nice if there was a toggle for this but so far I have not found one. The setting can easily be undone by unchecking Airplane Mode in the normal fashion or with a toggle. This may help with battery life for travelers. I am going to be testing this on my next few hikes.
Side note: I am using Calkulins ROM. Not sure if this makes a difference but I know Bluetooth GPS Provider works on non rooted/cutom rom phones.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment