PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 11:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EvO!!
Carrier: SPRINT

blackrain is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to blackrain
How To Root With Official 2.1 Installed

I was wondering how do I install rooted 2.1 with the official 2.1 installed already on my device?

Also what will i lose/gain with dropping the official 2.1

Will I still be able to install my same apps i have some .apk's that i would like to keep ringo pro etc....

Will I still be able to install things from the market I believe I read somewhere that you lose the ability to install certain things from the market.

Last thing would be which is the best rom also i read something about a kernel so also which one should i install for that also.

Please take it easy I'm fairly new to android I just deactivated my tp2 for a little while to give android a fair shake so I'm walking into this thing with both eyes shut!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: samsung moment
Carrier: sprint

trailboy is a n00b
Re: How To Root With Official 2.1 Installed

Well you sound like me, don't want all the extra crap on your phone, but want to strip it down to make it work better, I found a site you can custom build a package of what you want, but I have questions about what the following do and how important they are. Once someone answers I will be glad to post the link for you,

nd how important are the following files?, taken from joeys custom kernel site so i can ask this question.

TtsService
WlanTest
Accessibility - kickback.apk
Accessibility - soundback.apk
Accessibility - talkback.apk
VSuiteApp.apk - Naunce Voice Control

Thanks
Tim... Phoenix
Old 05-28-2010, 11:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

chibucks is keeping up the good workchibucks is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post
I was wondering how do I install rooted 2.1 with the official 2.1 installed already on my device?
Steps I'd take coming straight from an official 2.1

1. Install one of the custom recoveries (from SDX) on your phone through the old SW Updater or patched new SW Updater. Put the recovery TAR in the Binary folder and remove any other files in there. Flash it the same way you did the official 2.1

2. Use Joey's ROM builder (http://www.joeyconway.com/sdx/custom/index.php) to create an update.zip - pick the options you want and like and put the zip file onto your sdcard.

3. Download the stock theme template zip onto your sdcard as well (if you're applying a theme, you'll want to load this first)

4. Boot into recovery (vol down + call + end), clear davlik cache (under data), and apply zip from sdcard the stock theme template. Reboot your phone and let it load up - it'll stay on the boot animation for a little longer as your davlik is getting rebuilt. (if you're not applying a theme, then you can skip to 5)

5. Boot into recovery and apply zip from sdcard and choose the created update.zip (from the ROM builder)

6. Reboot and voila, you should be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post
Also what will i lose/gain with dropping the official 2.1

Will I still be able to install my same apps i have some .apk's that i would like to keep ringo pro etc....

Will I still be able to install things from the market I believe I read somewhere that you lose the ability to install certain things from the market.

Last thing would be which is the best rom also i read something about a kernel so also which one should i install for that also.
Won't lose much - will gain much more control over your phone - the ability to remove some of the bloatware and to install custom themes and such. also, the battery code has been revised, so it lasts longer.

After you have the official 2.1 on your phone, installing a kernel / ROM will not remove your apps... but backup your apps (using ASTRO (free) or APPMonster (free)) always just in case.

Yes, market works - there were issues with the 'leaked' 2.1 because it wasn't added to the market to be recognized, but it works.

ROMs - it's up to you - joey's are nice but don't have netfilters if you want to wifi tether (use your phone as a wifi hub) - but will work with barnacle wifi tether (which don't use netfilters). i'd start with his.

Last edited by chibucks; 05-28-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

chibucks is keeping up the good workchibucks is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboy View Post
Well you sound like me, don't want all the extra crap on your phone, but want to strip it down to make it work better, I found a site you can custom build a package of what you want, but I have questions about what the following do and how important they are. Once someone answers I will be glad to post the link for you,

nd how important are the following files?, taken from joeys custom kernel site so i can ask this question.

TtsService
WlanTest
Accessibility - kickback.apk
Accessibility - soundback.apk
Accessibility - talkback.apk
VSuiteApp.apk - Naunce Voice Control

Thanks
Tim... Phoenix
The nice thing about Joey's ROM builder is that if you remove these files, they're stored on your sdcard, so you can put them back on.

TTSService - I believe has to do with talk to text
Wlan - not sure
Accessibility - not sure
VSuite - Nuance's voice control - similar to Vlingo - a voice control system - my opinion of Nuance was that it wasn't that accurate, at least not as good as Vlingo, but then again, that's just my opinion.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Lurker

trailboy is a n00b

alright i reinstalled the original 2.1, then added the joey custom kernel and tried again and when I got to the download screen for the software to dwnld to the phone, it said

"can't find bin"

What does this mean and how do I get past it?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2010, 08:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

TechnoBoy is just getting started

Oh fux! I got it!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: moment

htcman724 knows their stuffhtcman724 knows their stuffhtcman724 knows their stuffhtcman724 knows their stuffhtcman724 knows their stuffhtcman724 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to htcman724 Send a message via Yahoo to htcman724

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboy View Post
alright i reinstalled the original 2.1, then added the joey custom kernel and tried again and when I got to the download screen for the software to dwnld to the phone, it said

"can't find bin"

What does this mean and how do I get past it?

Thanks

means your not using the right updater.you either need the cl14 updater or the patched 2.1 updater.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Lurker

trailboy is a n00b

ok cool, will try one of those two

Thanks

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment