PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo3D
Carrier: Sprint

nasa1303 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
cant install recovery

ok so before the official 2.1 was released, i did the cl14 update and got a leaked 2.1 rom installed it, flashed the joey recovery and rooted my phone no problems. now i have the official 2.1 rom on and i cant install recovery. i tried installing the joeykrim-SDX-recovery2.1.3 and the new 3.08 recovery. neither one will work when i push the install software button on the last step. do i need to redo the cl14 update or will that take me back to the old rom?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

SAShady is keeping up the good workSAShady is keeping up the good work
Re: cant install recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa1303 View Post
ok so before the official 2.1 was released, i did the cl14 update and got a leaked 2.1 rom installed it, flashed the joey recovery and rooted my phone no problems. now i have the official 2.1 rom on and i cant install recovery. i tried installing the joeykrim-SDX-recovery2.1.3 and the new 3.08 recovery. neither one will work when i push the install software button on the last step. do i need to redo the cl14 update or will that take me back to the old rom?
the NEW version of the Sprint Software Updater has a security feature that will not allow you to flash custom recovery. You need the OLD Software Updater which you can d/l here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mwmjykokgxy. You should just be able to unzip that anywhere and run it without installing. Already has Recovery 3.08 in the binary ready to install.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAShady View Post
the NEW version of the Sprint Software Updater has a security feature that will not allow you to flash custom recovery. You need the OLD Software Updater which you can d/l here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mwmjykokgxy. You should just be able to unzip that anywhere and run it without installing. Already has Recovery 3.08 in the binary ready to install.
Thanks for posting that.

This is probably a dumb question but what's the difference between a data backup and system backup?

Is a system backup just settings etc while the data is basically an image of everything? Some clarification would be helpful. Say I needed to do a hard reset and wanted my phone back the way it was when I did a backup. Which one should I use?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinazn View Post
Thanks for posting that.

This is probably a dumb question but what's the difference between a data backup and system backup?

Is a system backup just settings etc while the data is basically an image of everything? Some clarification would be helpful. Say I needed to do a hard reset and wanted my phone back the way it was when I did a backup. Which one should I use?
Data backup makes a backup of the /data folder (personal info, apps, etc)

System backup makes a backup of the /system folder (Android System) in case you bork something while testing new things

Last edited by SAShady; 05-17-2010 at 09:34 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sammy Galaxy Nexus

Anon9mouz is keeping up the good workAnon9mouz is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Anon9mouz Send a message via Yahoo to Anon9mouz

So does this recovery have root with it or what. What is me putting this recovery on the offical de03 2.1 gonna do. Allow me to put custom roms??? I wished this stuff worked like windows
Kernel: Stock and loven it
I envy the dumb ones.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon9mouz View Post
So does this recovery have root with it or what. What is me putting this recovery on the offical de03 2.1 gonna do. Allow me to put custom roms??? I wished this stuff worked like windows
This particular recovery does not. This will allow you the ability to root the phone and install updates. It will also allow you to create backups, which is the main reason why I installed the latest recovery. Check out this thread for more info on installing recovery and gaining root:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=121446

Specifically, post 5. If you click on the first link, it will give you instructions on how to do it
Old 05-17-2010, 05:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon9mouz View Post
yes, you can install custom roms. it has an "Install Zip From SD" feature, which will allow you to install custom ROMS, themes from recovery. Also allows you to backup system and data, and mount system, data, and SDcard from recovery.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo3D
Threadstarter

nasa1303 is becoming a great contributor

well...........i downloaded it and extracted it. it ran fine. loaded up and read phone but still the same thing, when i get to the second boot and press the update button it tells me it can't open file. i looked in the binary and it had the recovery 3.0 file there. i must be missing something what is it?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa1303 View Post
well...........i downloaded it and extracted it. it ran fine. loaded up and read phone but still the same thing, when i get to the second boot and press the update button it tells me it can't open file. i looked in the binary and it had the recovery 3.0 file there. i must be missing something what is it?
you are doing it in download mode correct?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sammy Galaxy Nexus

Anon9mouz is keeping up the good workAnon9mouz is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Anon9mouz Send a message via Yahoo to Anon9mouz

To bad I can't do the recovery or root from sd bc one of my problems is I don't have a computer so yeah that sucks but if you can plz let me know k thanks a buch for all yalls help.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment