PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment

Notices



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 12:02 PM
tom6433's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint
Location: O-H-I-O
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
Reputation: 190
tom6433 is keeping up the good worktom6433 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
soon to be moment owner

i sold my touch pro in anticipation of the evo, and upon hearing of the $10 premium they wanted me to pay each month i decided against it and opted for a moment. it should arrive in the next few days, so i have a question for you guys. with the release of 2.1, would you say the moment is a decent phone w/o having to root?

as i said, i am coming from a touch pro and if you know nothing about that phone, the only thing you really need to know is that it was a dog unless you really tweaked it. i am hoping to not have to do that as much, if at all, with the moment. i am sure rooting and flashing custom roms will always make it faster, but i really don't want to be a flash junkie anymore. are any of you running the oem 2.1? loving it? hating it?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM
blazinazn's Avatar
Halfway to VIP Status
Offline
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 620
Reputation: 620
blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn
Re: soon to be moment owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6433 View Post
i sold my touch pro in anticipation of the evo, and upon hearing of the $10 premium they wanted me to pay each month i decided against it and opted for a moment. it should arrive in the next few days, so i have a question for you guys. with the release of 2.1, would you say the moment is a decent phone w/o having to root?

as i said, i am coming from a touch pro and if you know nothing about that phone, the only thing you really need to know is that it was a dog unless you really tweaked it. i am hoping to not have to do that as much, if at all, with the moment. i am sure rooting and flashing custom roms will always make it faster, but i really don't want to be a flash junkie anymore. are any of you running the oem 2.1? loving it? hating it?
I couldn't help but laugh when reading your post because this is exactly how I felt after the TP. Talk about a beating! I understand where you are coming from, believe me.

I currently upgraded to 2.1 last Friday. I haven't rooted it and I think it's pretty fast. A lot faster than 1.5 on stock. I eventually rooted the phone and removed some apps that kept popping up just cause it annoyed me. Some will say it will make a difference and it probably does but it's not an absolute must to make the fun run smoothly ( like it was on the TP).

Just make sure you download an app killer from the market place and you will be good to go. It's not NECESSARY but there are only positives for rooting your phone. It's fairly simple and straightforwards to root and you can remove all the bloatware that sprint added.

Right now I'm completely happy with the performance and will probably root my phone eventually, once it becomes a little more clear. I'm not really sure if it's the same as rooting on 1.5, if so, it's really easy.

So thus far, I give it 2 thumbs up. Hope that helps.
__________________
Moto Q > HTC Touch Pro > Samsung Moment > Samsung Epic
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 01:10 PM
manaen's Avatar
N00b
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 32
Reputation: 15
manaen is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: soon to be moment owner

Hah that is exactly what pushed me to android because I had a TP and was tired to having to tear the phone apart to make it work like it should have from the start. This thing works so much better in all aspects except one..

Look into the syncing of contacts and emails, there is little support for direct syncing to your computer. Things like notes, contacts to outlook, Outlook inbox etc..

I am currently running 2.1 OEM and it is wonderful. Battery life is great, phone works great.

So...
Will you have to root? no
Will your tech junkie side take over and make you root in the future? probably
Does rooting make the phone faster? can't answer that one cause I am not rooted (yet, LOL)..

Good luck and welcome to the world of Android.

Now I am feverishly trying to learn all the SDK's and JAVA tricks to do some programming of my own. Maybe provide some solutions and have some fun..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 01:17 PM
tom6433's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter
Location: O-H-I-O
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
Reputation: 190
tom6433 is keeping up the good worktom6433 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: soon to be moment owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaen View Post
Hah that is exactly what pushed me to android because I had a TP and was tired to having to tear the phone apart to make it work like it should have from the start. This thing works so much better in all aspects except one..

Look into the syncing of contacts and emails, there is little support for direct syncing to your computer. Things like notes, contacts to outlook, Outlook inbox etc..

I am currently running 2.1 OEM and it is wonderful. Battery life is great, phone works great.

So...
Will you have to root? no
Will your tech junkie side take over and make you root in the future? probably
Does rooting make the phone faster? can't answer that one cause I am not rooted (yet, LOL)..

Good luck and welcome to the world of Android.

Now I am feverishly trying to learn all the SDK's and JAVA tricks to do some programming of my own. Maybe provide some solutions and have some fun..
the only reason i started flashing the TP was because it was slow and painful to use. then wm6.5 came out so i wanted to try it out, and i guess that is how it all started. then android became available for use on the TP so i tried it out, and loved it. it seems basic and very customizable right out of the box. for all of the TP's faults i still liked the phone and would still be using it if the hardware keyboard wouldn't have died and it would go longer than 4 hours w/o having to be charged.

so we will see how long i can fight off the urge to root. glad to hear it is not a necessity.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 01:51 PM
blazinazn's Avatar
Halfway to VIP Status
Offline
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 620
Reputation: 620
blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn
Re: soon to be moment owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6433 View Post
the only reason i started flashing the TP was because it was slow and painful to use. then wm6.5 came out so i wanted to try it out, and i guess that is how it all started. then android became available for use on the TP so i tried it out, and loved it. it seems basic and very customizable right out of the box. for all of the TP's faults i still liked the phone and would still be using it if the hardware keyboard wouldn't have died and it would go longer than 4 hours w/o having to be charged.

so we will see how long i can fight off the urge to root. glad to hear it is not a necessity.
I've been doing some research on how to root and found this:

http://forum.sdx-developers.com/roms...-root-creator/

Easy way to root. Only reason why you would need to root is to remove stock apps but this website allows you to do it without rooting:

http://www.joeyconway.com/sdx/custom/index.php

I just created a .zip file to remove stock apps without rooting and it worked. It backs up all the apps to your storage card so if you ever need to reinstall, you can. I also added a new boot screen and boot animation.

The guys at SDX are all genius!

Last edited by blazinazn; 05-17-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 02:12 PM
manaen's Avatar
N00b
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 32
Reputation: 15
manaen is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: soon to be moment owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6433 View Post
the only reason i started flashing the TP was because it was slow and painful to use. then wm6.5 came out so i wanted to try it out, and i guess that is how it all started. then android became available for use on the TP so i tried it out, and loved it. it seems basic and very customizable right out of the box. for all of the TP's faults i still liked the phone and would still be using it if the hardware keyboard wouldn't have died and it would go longer than 4 hours w/o having to be charged.

so we will see how long i can fight off the urge to root. glad to hear it is not a necessity.
Dude, the fact that you knew about wm6.5 pre-release and android on the TP means to me that you will be on a one way trip to customizing the darn thing. It's not a bad thing, man I am right there with you. It just means that you have what I would call a "real" hunger for technology. Some may call us nerds, others geeks, but when those people have computer problems who do they call!!!

Nice to meet you... Actually just the fact that you are in a forum talking about this was the initial indicator. I've been able to resist rooting for about 2 months. The urge is calling, I want to know more about this phone and make sure that I am getting the most from my hardware. I have a feeling you think much the same way...

But maybe I am off LOL
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 02:26 PM
gggplaya's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 23
Reputation: 0
gggplaya is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: soon to be moment owner

I went from the HTC Mogul to the Touch pro now i have a samsung moment. I can say it was probably just windows mobile itself, but both my touch pro and mogul were dogs!!!!! Even with custom roms, i was never satisfied with the speed.

I bought the Moment a few months ago, it was fast at times and slow at other times. I had the CL14 oem update, but even with setCPU i had to use Advanced task killer to constantly close apps to make it fast to my liking.

I then download caulkin's 2.1 rom base on the DD03 sprint oem leaked rom. It was much faster but still had a few times of slowness.

Last week sprint released the official 2.1 DE03 rom and i must say, it was worth the wait. It's like night and day compared to the CL14 1.5 rom. I'm finally satisfied with the speed of my smart phone and i haven't even downloaded advanced task killer for it or Setcpu because it isn't needed. It's fast and responsive, never a dog. I haven't had a chance to check out batter life on this new rom, but the touch pro had the best battery life of all 3 of my smart phones. I could usually go 2-3 days with that. I have to charge my Moment every night.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 PM
tom6433's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter
Location: O-H-I-O
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
Reputation: 190
tom6433 is keeping up the good worktom6433 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: soon to be moment owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaen View Post
Dude, the fact that you knew about wm6.5 pre-release and android on the TP means to me that you will be on a one way trip to customizing the darn thing. It's not a bad thing, man I am right there with you. It just means that you have what I would call a "real" hunger for technology. Some may call us nerds, others geeks, but when those people have computer problems who do they call!!!

Nice to meet you... Actually just the fact that you are in a forum talking about this was the initial indicator. I've been able to resist rooting for about 2 months. The urge is calling, I want to know more about this phone and make sure that I am getting the most from my hardware. I have a feeling you think much the same way...

But maybe I am off LOL
you are probably right on all points. i guess i was just trying to maybe convince myself to just LEAVE IT ALONE...but i never can. i used to modify cars as a hobby, but that is a serious (read $$$) hobby. tinkering with phones is pretty much harmless and keeps me entertained for the most part.
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2010, 08:05 AM
blazinazn's Avatar
Halfway to VIP Status
Offline
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 620
Reputation: 620
blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn
Re: soon to be moment owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6433 View Post
you are probably right on all points. i guess i was just trying to maybe convince myself to just LEAVE IT ALONE...but i never can. i used to modify cars as a hobby, but that is a serious (read $$$) hobby. tinkering with phones is pretty much harmless and keeps me entertained for the most part.
For me, there is a thin line between customizing and tweaking. With the TP, I felt like I was tweaking just to get the stupid thing to work right. It was also very customizable as well. But it got to the point where I was fed up with finding fixes or tweaks to improve performance/battery life.

With the moment, I spend more time looking for customization/cool apps/etc. Not looking for fixes or tweaks. For me, it makes a huge difference. It just works. But like manaen said, my inner geek is getting the best of me and I find myself tweaking a modifying but only because I enjoy it. Not because I have to like with the TP.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com